PDA

View Full Version : Bikes vs. Quads

cliq20
07-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Do you all think that bikes are still more popular than quads? Should they make more money and drive the big rigs? It seems all the time that quads should be the moneymakers and are becoming that for the manufacturers.

We by far spend more money. Twice the parts, twice the cost for a new quad vs. bike, etc.

I wonder when its going to switch around and become right?

What do you all think?

I guess I don't know how many bikes race Sunday. I usually don't stick around.

atvmx14
07-06-2004, 09:06 AM
I do think bikes are more popular than quads its a given.. I personally don't want it to be that way for ever! Its going to take time we're getting bigger and bigger every year, and its just going to take all of us to keep continuing to promote the sport...

As far as the numbers go i know in my local area on a sunday when the bikes race they have about on average 1100 riders show up.. When we (quads) have a race its like on average 400 riders.....

I want to be watching quad races on espn every week!!!!
Lets keep it going!!!

cliq20
07-06-2004, 09:41 AM
i guess my view is biased, i never see bikes in my area. everyone has an ATV.

i don't think it will be long before we're more popular. at least we can ride in the mud and jump logs without falling down all day...

cdalejef
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
GNCC is usually equil in numbers but the manufacures will never put as much money into quads as they do bikes.

cliq20
07-06-2004, 01:18 PM
i guess i don't understand why. i'm sure they make more more money on us. i've heard that opinion before though...

just was looking for the reasoning behind it. wouldn't it be cool to see the big ATK semi rolling up?

tmk4914
07-06-2004, 02:28 PM
i know in minnesota at a average district race there will be anywhere from 600 to 900 bikes and maybe 50 to 70 quads and i would be amazed if quads ever became more or as popular as bikes

cliq20
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
seems to be a location thing...

VIGILANTE MAN
07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
That's true. Quads seem to be much more popular with us Hoosiers than bikes. Must be a redneck thing.

humboldt hills
07-06-2004, 06:03 PM
I think its a racing thing.
Maybe I am wrong but I have heard that there are 2-3 times as many atvs sold every year compared to bikes. But when it comes to racing almost all the bikes race at least a cpl races a year. A small percentage of atvs do the same.

TWISTED
07-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I know I'm gonna catch it for this,but I almost hope it never gets to the level the bikes are at.If anybody has been to a bike national they should get the same snotty vibe I get by most pro riders(NOTICE I SAID MOST NOT ALL!!!).When you go to a quad national,it is so awesome to see almost all of the pros hanging out with the fans.I am not saying these guys don't deserve the money cause they definately do by all means,it just seems that the more money is brought into the picture,the more people lose touch with the true reasons that they got into this great way of life(NOTICE I DON'T CALL THIS A SPORT!!THAT IS RESERVED FOR BAT,BALL.AND HOOP STUFF THAT I CAN'T STAND!!)All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for,you might not like what happens. Just my opinion.

devildriver422
07-06-2004, 08:20 PM
^^exactly, then u get the posers too that think theyre all that cuz they can ride :grr: :grr:

redroost85
07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Here in PA the state says that 1 in 3 PA residents owns a quad...but all I ever see is dem dam bikers.:(

I think the statistic is skewed a little because there are so many farms that have quads around here.....more utilties than sport quads that's fo sho, lol!:eek: :)

ZapsRacing
07-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Around here there is not many bike racers I am one of the few that races alot on a bike. There is alot of farmers with utilities. That is the main reason for quads to sell more. Most people that buy a new bike that is a competitive mx model (CR,YZ,KX,RM etc) buy them to race. I know alot of people with 400ex's 300ex's and raptors and other quads that get them jus to play around on on weekends and have no intention of racing. I would like to see more quad racing on tv, as long as they dont get stuck up like some of the dirtbike pros. They think their better than anyone an their $hit dont stink jus cuz they are rollin in the cash$$$

A reason quads are popular is because they are easier for a first timer to learn on. And ya can park them anywhere. And for farmers they can jus hop on an throw whatever they need on the racks and head out to the field.

cliq20
07-07-2004, 07:43 AM
i guess it gets like every other professional "sport", it's all about the money and not the reason they started playing and the fun.

i race because it's fun. if the money comes, so be it...

just like professional baseball, if they would have fed me and housed me i would play forever...

and y'all are probably right that there are more utilities out there that throw off the sales and if someone is to buy a bike they are using it for racing or something similar.

i mean i don't know any farmers with dirt bikes.
:cool:

cliq20
07-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by devildriver422
^^exactly, then u get the posers too that think theyre all that cuz they can ride :grr: :grr:

and i hate the posers. if their best friends dog has a bike or quad they think they should wear the gear around everywhere.

or buy a quad and leave it in their truck all the time to look cool.

and every teenie bopper girl has a fox shirt...

turnandburn
07-07-2004, 06:03 PM
the reason bikes are more popular are for one most bikes you can buy and race without putting any more money in suspension or the motor. They are not as hard on you physically to ride than quads are. So if you were not quad junkies and you wanted something to race with cheap witch would you choice be? Yes it would be nice to have the race quad #s grow but now with the 450s out they have ,and you get people out on the track that have no buisness being out thier. not saying rookie racers i am saying the guys that dont think of others and dont race responsable,land on people and wreck people and dont care. we are just the minority.

cliq20
07-07-2004, 06:39 PM
yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from racing more is the others who don't ride responsible and will run over your head if it's there and near the trail. 400 pounds plus rider coming at you and with no care in the world. i gotta go to work monday. i guess it's just pretty bad at the start.

anyway, it would be nice if the money were there for the quads too.

cliq20
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from racing more is the others who don't ride responsible and will run over your head if it's there and near the trail. 400 pounds plus rider coming at you and with no care in the world. i gotta go to work monday. i guess it's just pretty bad at the start.

anyway, it would be nice if the money were there for the quads too.

turnandburn
07-07-2004, 09:20 PM
most of us responsable riders all have the same problems if we want to race family,work and bills.so yes its a little scary racing but it is an addiction for me that is real hard to supress. just protect yourself the best you can and have fun.

quadmx7
07-09-2004, 10:38 PM
around here we have a couple hundred bikes show up and 20 quads on a good day. for racing around here bikes are just the norm, me and my cosuin were the only ones in my family to race quads, everybody else races dirtbikes.

Mxjunkie
07-10-2004, 12:43 AM
i ride both, but around here there are more dirtbike riders then quad riders, at the track i go to, the quads and dirtbike numbers are almost the same

rideREDrider
07-11-2004, 06:45 PM
at my last race there was at least 100 bikes and 4 quads! but that's not including the mini's

RobZ_450R
07-12-2004, 05:37 AM
I think the main reason that quads are less in numbers is because of time. Bike have been around for about 5 times as long as quads have. They have more heritage than quads. Us quad lovers got smacked simply because of Lawyers in the 80s. People were riding three wheelers, gettin hurt, and then sued the manufactures (when it was their own stupid fault for crashing). The manufactures actually agreed not to build any new sport ATVs for 10 years. This is why in 1988 you last saw the 250R and then in 1998 you seen the 400EX. The manufacturers were very sketchy about getting back into it. Now, though there are many sport quads to choose from. The 400EX revitalized the industry and then the yfz450 and 450R threw the sport into high gear. As you can see the manufacturers are now sponsoring again (Gust & Farr). My projection is that in 5 years we will be as big as the bikes. It will just take a little time. Heck in the past 3 years the GNCC entries have almost tripled. Look at the lower classes-the C classes are huge. Just think most of those guys will go up to B class. Keeping up this pace we will easliy outnumber the bikes.

1badex
07-12-2004, 02:27 PM
i think bikes may be more popular is because they are now leaning more toward the freestyle part of it dong insane tricks and not the racing part of it and it gains more popularity by people just clicking through channels and seeing some guys flyin through the air trying to outdo each other.{just my humble opinion}:confused:

quadmx7
07-12-2004, 02:54 PM
well this past weekend was a change at my fav local track Rock Hill mx, we had 18 quads and out numberd every class except like the 65 and 80 class.

markk
07-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by cliq20
i guess i don't understand why. i'm sure they make more more money on us. i've heard that opinion before though...

just was looking for the reasoning behind it. wouldn't it be cool to see the big ATK semi rolling up?

That is exactly how it is in South Central illinois, most all quads and everyonce in a while we go ride with a dirt bike or too!!! But I thought like Jeff said that it was just about equal #'s with bikes and quads!!! I wish there where more showes dedacated to sport quads, Or a game like Grand Turizmo, Where u build up your own quad, and Trailer, And deck your 4-wheeler out and race to win $ or points!