PDA

View Full Version : Quetion about gearing...

LaSalleKid
07-06-2004, 12:22 AM
I have a YFZ. And its quick as hell through the gears...but after that it isnt much top end. Well it is, but I've gotten used to it and want more. What size sprockets should I change to if I want more topend, but the same amount of acceleration. I hope that is possible. Please let me know what I should do. Also my next mods will be putting a rev box on it, and letting Four Stroke Tech bump it up to a 470. I want this thing to be the fastest things within 50 miles of me...(its within the top 10 right now)...but I want it to stand out in a drag race...same amount of takeoff...with that much more top end to hold the lead thru the finish line. Does anyone what size sprockets the YFZ has stock? And what size I should change to? thanks for the help.

TC426EX
07-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Well, I would suggest dropping a tooth or 2 in the rear. Changing one tooth on the front sprocket has the same effect as changing 3 on the back. There is a HUGE difference going from a 15t to a 14t front on a 400ex (not sure about the YFZ, but should be the same result). Too much bottom end with a bigtime top end sacrifice... If I was you I would just drop one or 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. This will minimize the loss on bottom end and definitely give you alot more on top...

LaSalleKid
07-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks man. Anyone else have an opinion?