PDA

View Full Version : How would I read this pulg????

QuadJunkies
07-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Ive NEVER seen a plug of ours looks like this before?????:huh
Its Orangeish/red/rust in color......what would casue a plug to color up like this??????

QuadJunkies
07-05-2004, 11:58 PM
sorry. This was the best pics I could get......:confused:

Quadzilla
07-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Only this that I could/would guess is that you may have gotten some significant water into your airbox (stream crossing)???? Never seen that before....

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
Only this that I could/would guess is that you may have gotten some significant water into your airbox (stream crossing)???? Never seen that before.... nope.No water involved in the mini......:( Anyone else have any ideas??

krazken
07-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Could it actually be rust? Or maybe it could be build up from using cheap gas or something...impurities in the gas that have built up over time? How old is the plug?

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by krazken
Could it actually be rust? Or maybe it could be build up from using cheap gas or something...impurities in the gas that have built up over time? How old is the plug? Nope.... This mini runs on c-12. nothing cheap about this fuel!!!:p Her fuel doesnt sit long maybe two hours at best since she races it.. For a mini this is a total gas pig.....:o

Quadzilla
07-06-2004, 09:11 AM
It may not change anything but I would try running pump gas in that mini UNLESS you have a higher compression (than stock) piston in it. As most of you prob know, running too high of an octane for a piston is actually a bad thing. If the motor does not make enough compression for the given octane, not all of the fuel will ignite. This lessens performance and wastes fuel. Maybe that's part of the reason that it's a gas hog, some of the un-ignited fuel may be going out the exhaust. This could be the reason for that funky plug as well.

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
It may not change anything but I would try running pump gas in that mini UNLESS you have a higher compression (than stock) piston in it. As most of you prob know, running too high of an octane for a piston is actually a bad thing. If the motor does not make enough compression for the given octane, not all of the fuel will ignite. This lessens performance and wastes fuel. Maybe that's part of the reason that it's a gas hog, some of the un-ignited fuel may be going out the exhaust. This could be the reason for that funky plug as well. We cant run Reg gas anymore in it...heres her mods........

2001 modded Kasea Skyhawk 90
HC Piston(12:5)
Billet Aluminum Rod
CDI(12,000)
Ported head
28mm flatside Carb.
Carbon fiber reed cage
full clutch mod
Trinity pipe
Works shocks
+2 AArms w/2-4 offset holeshots
+4 DuraBlue Axle
Fast Trekker rears on Douglas
Fly HandleBars
Custom seat cover

Thats why its a gas hog.....She running bloddy fast now.......
:cool:

Min. requirements are now we have to run 108 octane( may be 103 cant remember right off hand)

The perfprmance has been GREAT! no problems no bog, to sputter runs smooth....... Just the color of that plug had us cincerned :confused:

sickmojave
07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Not sure but maybe this will help.----->http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
Not sure but maybe this will help.----->http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html Thanks!! well, its hard to see a true color on that chart, but its looking liek Im a little in between a "best " and a "good" but since the plug is kinda Half grey/then orange/rust in color Im not positive.....:o the tip is light to almost Med. tan..its on the side right below the tip that REALLY Orange /rust colored.....

sickmojave
07-06-2004, 09:51 AM
if you click on the pics they blow up so you can see them better.;)

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
if you click on the pics they blow up so you can see them better.;) LOL.....THANKS ;)

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by krazken
How old is the plug? oops. I forgot to answer that.....Its a newer plug. ;)

MIKE400EX
07-06-2004, 11:09 AM
That coloring is either from an additive in the fuel or the 2 smoke oil. From a blurry perspective it doesn't look bad, but you really need to look down the insulator to be sure. Don't worry about the reddish color unless you see bits of silver in it. Got to admit though, I haven't seen the red/orange color from straight C12.

Evan400ex
07-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Go here http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/perf/readingplugs.html

It says: "If the insulators are orange or brown in color, then your are probably running race fuel or you have added octane booster. If there are no other problems, then you are OK."

skemp
07-06-2004, 10:14 PM
It is from the race fuel. I have seen yellow, orange, red, and green colored plugs as a result of running wacky fuels. It won't hurt anything, it is just the additives/dyes in the fuels. You can still usually get a somewhat decent idea of how the motor is running by the intensity and coverage of the color on the plug.

QuadJunkies
07-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
Go here http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/perf/readingplugs.html

It says: "If the insulators are orange or brown in color, then your are probably running race fuel or you have added octane booster. If there are no other problems, then you are OK." Thank you!!!!! yes, its runs great no problems so far..... I talked to a few Racing co. who sugested maybe running trick or straight C-12(we run 70/30 with prem. pump) and was told we probably shoulndnt mix C-12 with pump gas else go trick or straight c-12.......:) Whats the Octane in Trick anyhow???