PDA

View Full Version : 416EX Maintenance.......After Rebuild?

JhallettEX
03-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Well, I have had my 416 done for a few weeks now. This weekend I am going to tear into it and do another vavle job to make sure everything is allright. Is there anything else I should do before I put it back together, ie; check bolts, timing, relube cam, or anything else you can think of? Also I have a question as far as the timing being off. I don't think that mine is but if it were off by a tooth or two would a Curtis Sparks Timing key correct this or would you still need to go into the motor and correct the timing? Thanks alot.

86atc250r
03-28-2002, 03:54 PM
If your cam is a tooth off, no a timing key won't fix it.

Are you tearing into it to do a "valve job" or just to adjust the valves? You shouldn't need to do a valve job unless something bad happened...

Really, a typical 416 buildup requires no more maintenance than a stock engine.

If you used a composite head gasket instead of a stainless one, you may need to re-torque your head bolts.

400exRacerX
04-05-2002, 01:46 PM
Its simple to readjust the timing, I think you would notice if it was off....and I wouldnt recommend those material head gaskets,,,get the OEM stainless one they are way better.;)

PsychoDave
04-06-2002, 12:14 PM
norm...i got the cometic gaskets with my 416 kit....do you suggest on getting stainless....are they set up for the bore?

400exRacerX
04-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Yes they are setup for the the bore. Just go to Pompton Honda & Suzuki in Pompton Plains and they have them in stock for about $17 dollars I believe. I got the cometic gasket kit too and I blew the head gasket and I took my time on everything and nothing was done wrong. Once I put the OEM gasket in I havent had a problem since. You can use all the other cometic gaskets though. I also didn't use those valve adjusting cap o-rings in cometics kit because they didn't seem to fit in right. I just reused the old ones.

Norm

PsychoDave
04-07-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks....btw marcums gave me 2 gasket sets.....8 valve seals...my piston had a very tiny dent on the side between the ring grooves....when i take it to the machine shop this week i will ask them if it is a problem...i dont think so though...it is pretty small ...but i like my stuff to be perfect!!!!-Dave

400exRacerX
04-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Dave are you serious????????????? Your piston had a dent on it between the ring grooves?????? OMG mine did too....does yours look like this? No flame intended I am just curious.

PsychoDave
04-08-2002, 08:05 AM
i thought you had a dent problem too....mine was smaller than that...nonetheless i still didnt like seeing it.....it is a little dent between a compression ring and the oil rings.....

PsychoDave
04-08-2002, 11:15 AM
norm....what did you do to fix it?

400exRacerX
04-08-2002, 08:20 PM
I took a jewelery file and grinded between the ring grooves so the ring would fit in and so it wouldnt bind up. I also dressed the side of the piston up with very fine sand paper.