PDA

View Full Version : just the cam

Quad Dude
07-05-2004, 07:45 PM
is it possible to just put a aftermaket cam in a otherwise stock 400 ???????????

sickmojave
07-05-2004, 07:48 PM
I think it depends on which cam. I put an XR cam in my quad when it was stock but it's a really mild cam:)

Cody_300ex
07-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Quad Dude
is it possible to just put a aftermaket cam in a otherwise stock 400 ???????????

Yep and while your in your engine you should go on ahead and get it bored out .080 over and a 10:1 piston to make it a 416.

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
or .120 over and make it a 426... If you are gonna add a cam, you should at LEAST add a high compression (11:1) stock bore piston to it if you dont want to bore it. Then you will be closer to reaping the most from the mod. Considering one of these piston kits are only like 89-99 bucks its money well spent if you ask me... You should look into getting an XR400 top end gasket set and use that head gasket to bump you up even more on the compression and get it closer to an actual 11:1...

the-ex-files
07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
I heard good things about the HRC cam. It's a "drop in" cam and made by Honda. It creates more of mid to top end hit . While the XR400 cam is more for low end power.

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by the-ex-files
I heard good things about the HRC cam. It's a "drop in" cam and made by Honda. It creates more of mid to top end hit . While the XR400 cam is more for low end power.

i would have tried this cam too but it isn't cheap.

i can't say for sure but from what i read a cam in a stock ex does make a noticable difference. i would do it. yes, it would be preferred to add a piston to, but a cam makes a difference from what i read. i can't tell you what only a cam would do exactly since i haven't tried that setup. without trying both setups, no one can tell you if it would help or not. i have actually talked to a few guys who run a stage 2 hotcam in a stock 400ex. they love it and say there are good gains. i have also been told that if you add just a cam or just a piston, the bike with just the cam will be quicker (well i guess unless you just want low end power).

TC426EX
07-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Any genuine honda parts are super expensive, and I can only imagine what the HRC cam costs. For the price of the HRC cam you can get something good and race ready which I dont think the HRC really is...

Quad Dude
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
so if i get a piston and a cam should i go a step further and get the pipe to complete the set up or can i just gut the stock one and be ok??? and which cams would be best for lots of topend gain and which ones r good for low end torque???

3x440ex
07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I just put a hotcam stage 2 in my stock 400 and yes it pulls harder but only from mid to top, you really do need a high compression piston to make up for the loss in low end power....if you like to do wheelies and just mess around, i would just leave it alone. There is nothing better than a stock cam for doing wheelies.