PDA

View Full Version : Open lid or no?

hondarider2006
07-05-2004, 07:02 PM
I am rebuilding my motor up to a 416 this week, and I will be running a Uni filter. I had a K&N but I felt safer with the Uni. I also thought about opening the lid, but was wondering if I should wait until the motor is broken in, or will it not make a difference? Reason being, I want to be safe, and not worry about dirt in my new motor....what do you guys think???

redroost85
07-05-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm certainly no expert Nick, but I would assume if you feel safer using the Uni to break in the 416, then go for it...even with the lid on.

The drawback being that you will have to rejet for the different combos of filters and the lid/no-lid deal.

Cal might be better suited to hook you up in this area....I can't see it making much difference HOW it is broken in...as long as it is done properly. JMO though Nick....consult the experts would be my suggestion, lol!:D

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Nah, just take the lid off, jet it properly and break it in from there... Its not like dirt is worse for your motor when you break it in than any other time. I personally am partial to the K+N, but if the UNI makes you feel safer then thats cool. In any event, since you will be breaking the bike in, you WILL be changing your oil right away once or twice anyway Im sure, to get rid of any small metal filings, so anything in there should be flushed out.

INFANTRY RACING
07-05-2004, 09:33 PM
wait till after break in. you don't wanna run it too lean and don't wanna have to mess with jetting during break in. run the uni and lid till broke in.

LazeR
07-05-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't think it matters to much.. Just make sure its jetted a lil rich for break in and then once its broken in, Jet it so it runs great... K&N vs UNI thing I use K&N and never found dust in my air duct thing like ppl have said has happened to them! If its properly oiled and stuff i think its fine! But i would do what you feel safer with! Also i would just run with the lid off, like stated up above dust isnt gonna hurt the engine more wether its new or not! good luck man! You finally get all your parts in ?

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 12:41 AM
running the lid vs no lid shouldn't make any difference given the bike is jetted correctly for either situation. i tend to run my jets a tad richer than normal on the break-ins. who knows if this matters or not but i do it to be safe.

by the way, i also prefer uni filters.

hondarider2006
07-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
You finally get all your parts in ?

almost all of them, still waiting on my valve springs, head gasket, and front brake lines, than I will be set.

As from going to a Uno over a K&N, I didn't have a problem with dust getting into my boot, I just didn't like how my airbox tore the hell out of the pre-filter and filter itself, even after I shaved the little tabs down. Hopfully the Uni will hold up much much better, not to mention it was MUCH cheaper than the K&N. Thanks everyone for the replys!

BTW cals, what size mj are you running in your bike??

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 10:45 AM
my set up:
10.8:1 406, stage 2, uni, x-6, etc

my jetting:
winter--160 keihin main, 4th clip on needle, 42 pilot

summer--158 keihin main, 4th clip on needle, 42 pilot

i would tinker with jetting quite a bit. i found the 4th clip position to be just about right in winter but it almost seemed a tad rich in summer, but the 3rd seemed too lean so i went ahead and left it in the 4th position in summer too. i would maybe change the mainjets 1 size from these locations just to test and tune. with the air box lid off, i would go up 1-2 sizes on the mainjet to allow for the extra air coming in.