PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic or Stainless?

Parrella450
07-05-2004, 05:17 PM
im gettin ready to order my Sparks X-6 pipe for my 450r...wat do u guys think i should get? Ceramic or Stainless...on a strictly mx bike

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Ceramic... I use a ceramic X-6 on my 426 and it has been holding up beautifully, both in performance and looks alike. The ceramic coating is supposed to have better heat characteristics, and actually make it so more exhaust pressure is forced out the back from what I gather, so it is supposed to be better. Now for some reason, on the Sparks website I notice that they claim SOME racers have said there is a minute increase in HP with the stainless system, but I dont see how this could be. Go ceramic, you'll love the performance of that pipe and the ease of maintenance that goes with it. (besides the fact they need to be repacked all the time like any race exhaust).

04'400ex'er
07-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Like TC said, the differences that I have gathered Is that a ceramic coated pipe increases the flow of the exhaust over plain ole' stainless steel. Therefore, Increasing H.P. I don't know of the seat of the pants difference, but that is the paper facts.

quadmx7
07-05-2004, 09:34 PM
i chose stainless over ceremic and havent regretted it yet. i had a ceremic ct pipe that didnt hold up for crap and neither did my cosuins so i figured i'd try stainless.

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 12:54 AM
i have a stainless and my buddy has a ceramic. mine definately is more durable. if you want the ceramic look, you can either get it ceramic coated or you can get some high temp aluminum paint and spray it.

i actually think the ceramic produces more power. my bike seems to fade out when i hit the upper gears and i am hoping it was due to mine being stainless. my buddies doesn't do this. so, i had mine coated and then i painted over the coating and it looks pretty good. the coating i had done is supposed to last a lifetime instead of a ceramic coating that may be guaranteed for 2 years or so. however, the coating i got is not a smooth finish so some don't like the looks of it. also, it comes coated white. you are supposed to paint over it if you don't want the white. i went aluminum on the headers and black on the can. it turned out pretty good. the aluminum was almost the identical color of my buddies ceramic coating. i will let you know if this coating helped or harmed my performance of the bike when i get it back together.

Sportrax10
07-06-2004, 01:43 PM
I chose stainless over ceramic because they said that the ceramic could rust, and I really didnt want that...