PDA

View Full Version : I am tired of getting spanked...

waytooslow
07-05-2004, 05:07 PM
My friend has a 400z with a full curtis sparks race exhaust and jet kit and when we race he walks away from me. In a 1/4 mile he usually beats me by 4 quad lengths. Do you guys have problems beating the 400z in a race? This is what I have done to my 400ex:

Full FMF exhaust
165 main jet
curtis sparks 6 degree timing advance
K and N air filter
Air box lid mod (has a 3 inch hole in it)
Hot Cam stage 2
10:1 high compression piston

I do have 1 inch bigger diameter tires in the front with the .190 wall thickness, could that really be slowing me down?

I need help!

CEET400ex
07-05-2004, 05:14 PM
It sounds to me that you shoudnt have much trouble beating him with those mods. But hey im no expert

Toadz400
07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
He shouldn't be beating you by that much, I'd say it's rider error. Improve on your take-offs and shifting techniques down.

waytooslow
07-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Rider error shouldn't be a problem because we are doing 2nd gear roll-ons. Basically we are showing all engine.

skidaddyjr
07-05-2004, 06:46 PM
You might nock a tooth or two off the rear cog!

Sc0
07-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Don't feel bad a bone stock Z400 beat my KFX which had a jet kit, full Yoshi RS-3, Pro-Flow foam air filter, Razr2's with Hipers, and Hotcams Stage2.... (stage 2 kit is both cams)

This Bone stock Z also won multiple races with a 440EX and a Predator 500, it even beat a 250R trike. With a different riders on my quad the race was closer but the stock Z400 still won... So don't feel bad at all, it's just one of those things that the factory gets right every now and then. You can change your gearing so that you get the holeshot or pull on him at the end... that gives you a legitimate excuse about why you can't win. (I would redo the jetting though and do full plug chops, every bike is different and the jetting might be off a wee-bit...

Cody_300ex
07-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Sc0
Don't feel bad a bone stock Z400 beat my KFX which had a jet kit, full Yoshi RS-3, Pro-Flow foam air filter, Razr2's with Hipers, and Hotcams Stage2.... (stage 2 kit is both cams)

This Bone stock Z also won multiple races with a 440EX and a Predator 500, it even beat a 250R trike. With a different riders on my quad the race was closer but the stock Z400 still won... So don't feel bad at all, it's just one of those things that the factory gets right every now and then. You can change your gearing so that you get the holeshot or pull on him at the end... that gives you a legitimate excuse about why you can't win. (I would redo the jetting though and do full plug chops, every bike is different and the jetting might be off a wee-bit...

Can you say sleeper? :o

Chef
07-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
Can you say sleeper? :o

Yea....it obviously wasnt stock.

toby400ex
07-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Magic Fairy dust is his secret.

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 08:44 PM
I dont believe a word of it... A stock Z400 is not that impressive of a bike, especially to be beating a slightly MODDED version of the SAME bike (your KFX). There is no way that the factory "got it right" with his Z and missed the boat with your KFX. If this was the case, Suzuki would have some major quality control issues to deal with... (Oh WAIT, thats right, they DO have major quality control issues with those bikes... There IS no quality to them at all!!!) By the way, the dude has to be a sleeper...

Cody_300ex
07-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I dont believe a word of it... A stock Z400 is not that impressive of a bike, especially to be beating a slightly MODDED version of the SAME bike (your KFX). There is no way that the factory "got it right" with his Z and missed the boat with your KFX. If this was the case, Suzuki would have some major quality control issues to deal with... (Oh WAIT, thats right, they DO have major quality control issues with those bikes... There IS no quality to them at all!!!)

That bike wasnt stock man. he had some major motor work. http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/mrt.gif

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 12:48 AM
i would drop the mainjet down a to a 160. make sure your throttle lever is adjusted properly without too much slack in the lever. there needs to be a little slack though. also, hold that thing in gear longer. if your not nailing the stock rev limiter, your shifting too early. i had one of those stage 2 cams and i drag raced with it. a cdi box with extra rpms helped quite a bit with that cam.

Ryan
07-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Yea....it obviously wasnt stock.

sparky450AR
07-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by waytooslow
My friend has a 400z with a full curtis sparks race exhaust and jet kit and when we race he walks away from me. In a 1/4 mile he usually beats me by 4 quad lengths. Do you guys have problems beating the 400z in a race? This is what I have done to my 400ex:

Full FMF exhaust
165 main jet
curtis sparks 6 degree timing advance
K and N air filter
Air box lid mod (has a 3 inch hole in it)
Hot Cam stage 2
10:1 high compression piston

I do have 1 inch bigger diameter tires in the front with the .190 wall thickness, could that really be slowing me down?

I need help!

My dad has a well built 416ex...by fifth gear I was 2-3 lengths in front of my uncles stock Z. I also had very worn razors.

3x440ex
07-07-2004, 06:21 PM
you just need to learn how to ride that thing man! hold the throtle down until you're about to hit the rev limiter and shift through the gears with out lifting off the throtle......what kind of tires are you running? if you're running an agressive tred that will rob you of horse power. Are your wheel bearings and axil carrier bearings fresh. that may rob you of horse power too...your jetting seems to ok....maybe your clutch is worn and slipping a liitle and you don't notice it.

Toadz400
07-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 3x440ex
hold the throtle down until you're about to hit the rev limiter and shift through the gears with out lifting off the throtle..

I don't think that's a good idea, you want to let off the gas when you shift. Just learn how to do it faster and faster each time.

3x440ex
07-07-2004, 07:29 PM
that's why i whould woop you in a race:D

haywire4130
07-09-2004, 11:36 AM
of course the stock z beat your hot rod 400ex. the 400ex is like an old 5.0 mustang, it's old technology. the z 400 is a dual overhead cam and liquid cooled motor and is cutting edge like the new dohc mustangs. (sorry for the analogy, i don't know if you're a car guy). don't get me wrong, i love my ex and wouldn't trade it for 10 z 400's, but you can't expect bolt ons to double the power of an archaic air cooled motor! as for the modded kfx losing, i'd blame that on rider error or poorly matched performance parts/incorrect jetting. and yes, there is no quality in suzukisakis!

Chef
07-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I don't think that's a good idea, you want to let off the gas when you shift. Just learn how to do it faster and faster each time.

No, you leave it WFO and flip the clutch lever...works 100% better everytime.

jlhughes750
07-09-2004, 12:13 PM
What about rider weight, was the other guy and twig????

04'400ex'er
07-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by haywire4130
of course the stock z beat your hot rod 400ex. the 400ex is like an old 5.0 mustang, it's old technology. the z 400 is a dual overhead cam and liquid cooled motor and is cutting edge like the new dohc mustangs. (sorry for the analogy, i don't know if you're a car guy). don't get me wrong, i love my ex and wouldn't trade it for 10 z 400's, but you can't expect bolt ons to double the power of an archaic air cooled motor! as for the modded kfx losing, i'd blame that on rider error or poorly matched performance parts/incorrect jetting. and yes, there is no quality in suzukisakis! I don't know about this... I beat stock z's and a pipes KFX. Sometimes they beat me... The z's arent that much faster than ex's and sometimes arent.:o