PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Poll.....Twist vs Thumb

RIDER11X
07-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Pappy recently tried the twist and went back to thumb, but what is your opinion? I'm a thumb throttle guy too, had a twist on my old 250x because it came with one, but saw no reason to buy one for the 400.

sickmojave
07-05-2004, 02:22 PM
I will stay with the thumb throttle on the ATV, but I like a twist for bikes ;)

RIDER11X
07-05-2004, 02:24 PM
I agree, you contort yourself differently on a quad vs. a Bike.....Thumb is a little more managable on a quad IMO.:cool:

Pappy
07-05-2004, 02:27 PM
death begins with me and a twist throttle im afraid:p thinking back, the wisp had to have been w ide open course because there aint no way i could do a course like our local with a twist.

and for the tree huggers out there....dude i took out many a young ..helpless sapling:devil:

beak7707
07-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Thumb by far on a quad!!

redroost85
07-05-2004, 03:23 PM
I have ridden both and prefer a thumb. The quad feels more manageable to me, especially in the air. I'm not sure I could ever be comfortable with a twist on a quad. JMO.:)

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 03:37 PM
THUMB on a quad no doubt about it. I rode a 250r with a twist and hated it with a passion...

Tommy 17
07-05-2004, 05:14 PM
my friend just put a twist on his 400... i put a few mins in on it and i sorta like it... i didn't get in anythin ruff so i can't really tell but i honlestly think i like the twist better...

the only thing i didn't like was that it was either WFO or off... there was no inbetween... its very touchy and it seems like it goes WFO soon as u touch the thing...

i'll probably have one on the 406 VERY soon... it just takes some seat time gettin use to them...

Toadz400
07-05-2004, 06:35 PM
IMO thumb...I've been on twist and it's just not for me, I can't stand not being in control over something other than flat ground. Even when riding a twist on a dirtbike it seems like you have no control, if I got a dirtbike I would put a thumb throttle on it:D .

Cody_300ex
07-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Thumb:macho

Tantal
07-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Thumb on quads & twist on 2 wheelers.

Rip_Tear
07-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I used to think that the first thing I would get for my 400ex was a twist throttle, until I got so used to the thumb on my 300 and sled. Now I don't even think about twistin! :p

RIDER11X
07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
and for the tree huggers out there....dude i took out many a young ..helpless sapling:devil:

I remember my first XC race when I found out why XC racers all run those dented, and bent big arse front bumpers........to mow down the brush, limbs, trees, and make Mr. Drunken spectator think twice about veturin' out on that there track to git a better view.:p J/P;)

Remember when a certain Pro hit a spectator on the track a few years ago?:eek: :eek2:

TheFontMaster
07-05-2004, 08:34 PM
I got a twist on my 300ex, and I couldnt be happier with it. It took a while to get used to it, but I like it so much better than the thumb throttles.

INFANTRY RACING
07-05-2004, 09:19 PM
if your gonna try twist give it more than 10 mins to get used to.

twist all the way;)

RIDER11X
07-05-2004, 10:52 PM
My experience with a twist was losing 5th place at a local AX race due to the twist throttle, that was more of a Blackwater AX than anything. The grip was muddy as was my glove, and the spring tension twisted it closed in my hand while I WAS on the gas on the back straightaway! :( I like thumb throttles now!:D

LazeR
07-05-2004, 11:26 PM
I much rather have a thumb on a quad! I rode one with a twist every little bump i was blipping the throttle and that was no fun! I did ride a dirt bike though and i for some reason it was different and the twist throttle was fine

hondarider2006
07-06-2004, 02:24 AM
Thumb for me....I raced one MX race with a twist, and didn't like it. On bikes its a whole differnt story, twist is a must on them:macho

Quadzilla
07-06-2004, 08:00 AM
I've done them both and prefer twist. Just my humble opinion...

07-06-2004, 08:04 AM
I"ve used both and had plenty of seat time with both. Always said I"d run a twist after using one for about 2 years. Got a 400ex and never went back to a twist.

All the quadshop guys run twisters. I"m the only oddball..:o

Tommy 17
07-06-2004, 09:28 AM
i rode it again yesterday...

i found out its easier to go faster with the twist... ur on the gas alot more bc no matter where u are on the quad u can get at the gas easy...

i'll be ordering one within the week:macho

INFANTRY RACING
07-06-2004, 03:02 PM
i have been running a thumb since i got the lectron carb. i lose my thumb placement alot casue of breaking bumps. anyone know where i can get a cable for a 38mm lectron carb for a motion pro twist.

dawnchris
07-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Wow......I'm amazed at the number of thumb throttles. Out west, you practically never see them. Realistically, IMO if you don't like them, you haven't given them a chance. If you have problems with throttle control, it's mainly because it's so different than a thumb throttle. They are less fatiguing (hence their use on most all long distance quads), and DO offer more control. A thumb throttle only allows you to hold on with your palm and fingers, you get the whole hand with a twist.
I've noticed something else--- don't take this the wrong way --- If you're fast on a bike, you like a twist on your quad. If your a squid on a bike, you prefer a thumb throttle.
Most of us that race desert out west started on bikes, and switched to quads later, maybe thats why there are so many twist throttles out here. Only the newbies tend to run the thumb throttle, and eventually switch.

Duncanracer
07-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dawnchris
Wow......I'm amazed at the number of thumb throttles. Out west, you practically never see them. Realistically, IMO if you don't like them, you haven't given them a chance. If you have problems with throttle control, it's mainly because it's so different than a thumb throttle. They are less fatiguing (hence their use on most all long distance quads), and DO offer more control. A thumb throttle only allows you to hold on with your palm and fingers, you get the whole hand with a twist.
I've noticed something else--- don't take this the wrong way --- If you're fast on a bike, you like a twist on your quad. If your a squid on a bike, you prefer a thumb throttle.
Most of us that race desert out west started on bikes, and switched to quads later, maybe thats why there are so many twist throttles out here. Only the newbies tend to run the thumb throttle, and eventually switch.

i use a twist cause i have a week thumb, it fatigues too fast, or locks up...

also i think its much easier to use everywhere, long distance,MX, GP's....etc.....

all it takes is about 5 minutes of get used to time....
i know cause when i got hurt, when i came back to riding my quad the twiost felt really weird, and i kept almost crashing, and almost wished i had a thumb, but after a few minutes i was used to it again..

Pappy
07-06-2004, 04:48 PM
lol..im lower then a squid on a bike:(

Toadz400
07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lol..im lower then a squid on a bike:(

Yea me too:( .

My thumb is pretty strong from years of riding, I can go hours and hours on my Banshee (which people complain about the stiff throttle) and my thumb still isn't showing any signs of becoming tired.

I've ridden a twist for more than 10 minutes before and I still couldn't get used to it, it's just not right for me.

That's why I stick to thumb, it's just what's right for me.