PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GNC Round #10 LONDON, KY

RemNS
07-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Hey Guys,
Many many pics and video coming soon! Just got home and hooked the computer up for conversion! Getting some sleep after the 9hour drive and then I'll be back with 50 or so pics and some video towards nightfall!
Race Update:

1st moto

Farr-Gust-Jones- then Cain-Wimmer-Little-Pat Brown 6th or 7th???

Jones rocketed off the start and put a big lead on Farr and Gust. There was a big wreck as a few riders could not get their quads to turn in the mud and went through the banners and flipped. Collected Byrd-Ellis-Natalie-Starrett-Goodman and a few others. Jones had a big lead the whole moto until he caught up with lapped riders. Farr held off Gust throughout the moto although Gust crept up on him and then dropped back towards the middle then caught back up to Farr. While the second place battle went on, Jones got a little impatient with the Lapped riders as they were not letting him pass and he high sided it trying to rail around a turn. Happened with 2 laps to go! Farr got around as well as Gust. Jones caught back up to Gust on the last lap but could not make a pass!

FYI Moto#1: Pat Brown had a deep mid pack start but finished in the top 7 after making several passes and having a great looking moto for his first PRO Moto. Looks like he and Wimmer are going to be the Gust and Farr of the near future!

2nd Moto

Gust-Wimmer-Natalie-Farr-Byrd
Gust pulled the holeshot and never looked back! Wimmer-Jones-Farr-Natalie followed. Wimmer looked great again and I thought we might see another High Point pass for the win but the Kentucky heat kept a steady pace for Wimmer. Jones passed into 3rd on the second lap and Farr said he seen this hapen and knew he would not make it too much farther but Jones looked like he would chase everyone down until he Snapped his subframe in half and had the whole back half of his quad sitting on his rear tires. IF ANYONE KNOWS THE VODOO LADY WHO PUT THE CURSE ON JONES THIS YEAR PLEASE SEE IF SHE CAN CALL THE CURSE OFF! Natalie set up Farr in the corner going up to the table of two, lap after lap and then made it stick with a rail of the outside berm and some good hook up around the turn on the 5th lap. Gust and Wimmer were way ahead so Natalie settled for third. Farr knew where he had to finish so Joe Byrd caight up to Farr near the end but Farr just kept where he needed to be for the podium.

FYI 2nd Moto: Pat brown had another top 10 ride! Not sure on the final results because of first moto mud covering numbers but I think he finished either 5th or sixth overall! GREAT RUN PAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI Season: Gust finished up the championship bid at London and had the whole crew on the podium for the celebration. The president of Yoshimura was also on hand to experience the championship winning! In great fashion, Gust had his parents up there and gave mom the mic for a few words! It's been since 1999 since Doug won a championship excluding the split championship of Pro Production Last Year! Also great for the Independance day celebration Gust rode a Whole Lap with the #1 Plates on his quad and the American Flag flying in his hands! Great to see the celebration and the championship to a great group! Look out for the Yellow in the future!

Kymco Race put 10 Pro's on the 250 automatic based quads and Kymco let them do some testing and external mods on them. The race was great to see and great PR for KYMCO. Matt white had the lead for the first lap but Crazy man Natalie doubled on the step up to pass into the lead. White later broke a chain to a DNF. Gil Attix and Don Leiserling took 2nd and 3rd. Natalie threw in some frestylin coming to the finish which made great coverage. The guys loved the quads and all the fun on those things! THANKS KYMCO! Oohh, did I mention a $5,000 purse for this race! Natalie $3,000 as the winner which gave him a smile after the first moto mishap he had!

Getting some sleep now so check back later tonight for pics and vids!

Peace Out!

Rick Frisco
Rem-N-S Productions

z400ACDC
07-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Jeremiah has had a monkey on his back all year. It will get better next year with a "Real" factory team;)

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by z400ACDC
Jeremiah has had a monkey on his back all year. It will get better next year with a "Real" factory team;)

What, is he not gonna be riding for yamaha again? Or are they just gonna step up their efforts more than this year with him...

cdoofxr1
07-06-2004, 01:48 AM
as i saw it jones was by himself in the lead and screwed up on a the table jump by the start line. he got out of the grove and ended up in the mud where he high sidded. and as for the lappers, this race is one of the few that i had seen so many move to let the leaders pass, ask jones, farr, and gust i bet they agree

z400ACDC
07-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
What, is he not gonna be riding for yamaha again? Or are they just gonna step up their efforts more than this year with him...
I can't say at this time, but it could be a different color quad.

Fred55
07-06-2004, 10:30 AM
You know that Suzuki offered him a deal too last year...

z400ACDC
07-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
You know that Suzuki offered him a deal too last year...
He was only loaned a Z400 for R&D last year.

pbell75
07-07-2004, 12:35 PM
I read somewhere and a I'm not sure where, but I will find it and let you know, that Suzuki has been after him since last year but he hasn't been impressed with their offers. Jones is a badass rider that needs a bike that can take the abuse he puts on it, the Yamaha clearly is not reliable, as has been seen in GNC and GNCC all year. What will be really interesting is the Natalie/Whimmer effect on the Gust/Farr/Jones show. Young guys like that will look much more attractive to the factories then Farr and Gust in the coming years. For this year I think the factories went with the "sure things" and knew these masters would podium. Next year they may expect a little more and start building race teams in the future. As for now with the exception of Suzuki, the Honda and Yamaha involvment in atv racing is disrespectful and pitifull (as far as what I saw at Red Bud). Hopefully in the years to come the factories take a more active role in promoting the sport as they do in the motorcycles. Next year will be very interesting!

cdalejef
07-07-2004, 12:42 PM
A Yamaha is blowing away the competition in this years GNCC pro class with out a single DNF!

07-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
A Yamaha is blowing away the competition in this years GNCC pro class with out a single DNF!

Probably because a brand new quad is used every other race??

I don't know that for a fact but Digger Doug races a brand new outta the crate Z400 ever 2 races..:eek:

Bill is also lucky as he!! for not having any problems. I think every PRO rider on a yami has had issues with their quad and Bill has been lucky enough not too. Kinda odd that the champs yammi is bullet proof compared to the other 300 yfz450's racin..:huh :huh

07-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Bill is also lucky as he!! for not having any problems. I think every PRO rider on a yami has had issues with their quad and Bill has been lucky enough not too. Kinda odd that the champs yammi is bullet proof compared to the other 300 yfz450's racin..

Kinda odd that he has had one as long as just about anyone else. I bet he has also put as much testing into it as any other pro rider!!!!! No retract that statement I don't bet I gureantee he has!!!!!

But little brother has had several problems this year so that kinda shoots that in the foot!

z400ACDC
07-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Yamaha got a free ride this year by only giving out a few YFZ's and some parts to the pro's. Suzuki stepped it up and got a championship for their trouble. If Yamaha wants to keep their talented riders for 05, they got to open up the bank!!! With the new Suzuki coming in the spring, a lot of YFZ riders may think about changing to yellow gear.:)

cdalejef
07-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Probably because a brand new quad is used every other race??

I don't know that for a fact but Digger Doug races a brand new outta the crate Z400 ever 2 races..:eek:

Bill is also lucky as he!! for not having any problems. I think every PRO rider on a yami has had issues with their quad and Bill has been lucky enough not too. Kinda odd that the champs yammi is bullet proof compared to the other 300 yfz450's racin..:huh :huh Bill got 4 bikes for the year and Brandon took one of them.

pbell75
07-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Bill may not be having troubles due to the number of bikes he is afforded and the size of his wallet, but lets look at another rider, a rider I believe is just as fast if not faster than Bill Balance, CHRIS BORICH. How may DNF's has he had, and how many positions has he lost, solely due to his blue ride?

cdalejef
07-07-2004, 01:39 PM
See my post above

My guess is that he has done more testing and prevenative maintenance than the other racers.

Duncanracer
07-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
See my post above

My guess is that he has done more testing and prevenative maintenance than the other racers.

possibly some of these guys are still learning the 4 stroke riding style, and they are blowing up cause of that?

I know its been a hard transition for me going form a 250r to a 450r, but then i'm not a pro, so who knows.? i ahvent blown mine up but then i dont ride nearly as fast as these guys...

but hey jeff, your atk has been running flawless every race right?

cdalejef
07-08-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Duncanracer

but hey jeff, your atk has been running flawless every race right? Yep

Scottie Mac
07-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by pbell75
Bill may not be having troubles due to the number of bikes he is afforded and the size of his wallet, but lets look at another rider, a rider I believe is just as fast if not faster than Bill Balance, CHRIS BORICH. How may DNF's has he had, and how many positions has he lost, solely due to his blue ride?

Farr has lunched a few motors this year, Joe Byrd blew his up at he starting gate for the Budds Creek race. Two of the three Hondas that actually race have gone down with motor failures. Those odds don't sound too good.

Yes, Yamaha has had there fair share of DNFs in the GNC and GNCCs. There is also a 10-1 ratio of YFZs to everything else out there. When you start to take these motors, mod the hell out of them and then beat on them for 2 hours or 2 rough motos, you are going to break. Gust gets a new motor every race, a new complete quad every 3rd race. He also gets new clutch components every moto. That is a lot of money invested in his team. And he got a championship to show for it. I would hope they would be more consistant than other riders who have two quads, or even one, to go the entire year. DO you really think a Sparks motor is supposed to last an entire year of racing being run into the ground by a rider like JJ? All but three guys in the pro class have YFZs, Jones is the only one who has had major problems consistantly. Sh1t, Natalie rode a half of an entire moto with the head pipe broke off of his YFZ, that should show you that set up right, they are as reliable as any quad out there. For every rider who has had a problem this year, I can name 5 pros who have gone worry free.

Or look at it this way, go to a National and notice how you hardly ever see any quads, Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki fail in the lower classes. Wonder why? Maybe because they aren't modded to the enth degree and aren't ridden by the 1% of riders who have the skill to race the pro level?

Scott

07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I read somewhere and a I'm not sure where, but I will find it and let you know, that Suzuki has been after him since last year but he hasn't been impressed with their offers. Jones is a badass rider that needs a bike that can take the abuse he puts on it, the Yamaha clearly is not reliable, as has been seen in GNC and GNCC all year.

Out of all the Pro riders on YFZs how many have had YFZ problems? None really.

Jones' chasis has been screwing him, not the motor. The red bud race Jones bend his aftermarket A-arms. UH OH, all of the arsFX a arms must be weak! Come on, because one bike has probs then all the bikes are crap?

Like I said, Jones has had more problems with his chasis components, not the YFZ or the engine.

Yea, Doug Gust gets a whole new race bike every 2-3 races. When you are paying a guy 2 million to race, you better supply him new parts as often as possible so he CAN KEEP RACING and not getting DNFs or DNS.

Scottie Mac
07-08-2004, 08:34 PM
JJ did have an engine failure earlier this year. Shane Hitt did as well. Both were Sparks built to the hil motors. Hardly stock. But, like I said, there are a ton of guys riding YFZs, and a few are going to break.

And, I don't think Gust is making 2 million a year. That is bike money, and the quads aren't there yet. I think Gusts deal is more in the 250K arena.

Scott

tcyfz#3
07-08-2004, 10:10 PM
wheres the pics:)

pbell75
07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Farr has not blown a motor yet, he broke an axle and had a problem with his throttle cable. Hondas are bullet proof!

cdalejef
07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Farr has not blown a motor yet, he broke an axle and had a problem with his throttle cable. Hondas are bullet proof! Honda's are nice but I wouldn't go that far!

400grl
07-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I have had ZERO problems with my YFZ to date....and I ride it/race it as hard as I can......when you start rebuilding engines and pushing the envlope, engines will blow. No matter if it's a Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. Quad racing is a money game, as well.....when you get to the top pros, sometimes he who has the most money will win......not necessarily the best brand of quad or the best rider.

I have always wanted to see the Pros race on STOCK quads.....and I mean STOCK. Maybe new bars....and a slip-on....but that's IT! Now....THAT might tell a few things about brands AND riders.......:cool:

Scottie Mac
07-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I have always thought it would be cool if they did it like the sled racers. A pro stock and a pro mod. The Problem with true "stock" class racing is that each year you would run into the problem of a possibility of one manufacturer dominating all the others and that makes for boring racing. If the racers all used stock quads this year, the YFZ riders would have a major advantage because of the suspension, front and rear. The Z would break in half and the TRX would be a handfull in the rough sections without the rear end updates. BUT, what would be great is, that is would force each manufacturer to build better machines from the factory, and that woudl be a benefit to us all.

Pbell,

Farr lunched a couple of motors this year before the GNCs even started. And, like I mentioned before, so has Joe Byrd. No brand is bullet proof when you start pushing the envelope.

Scott

400grl
07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
That would be awesome - to have those two production classes......and have the payback for the Stock Prod class be higher than the current Producation class!!! heheeheheheh! Wonder if they would ever consider something like that? And they could all just race YFZ's....keep it all even! ;) :D

quadchick3
07-09-2004, 03:15 PM
If you wanted to see a stock race u should have been at daniel boone! 10 pro racers signed up for the KYMCO race. they were all on stock kymco 250's. They raced 1 moto, 2 laps. Winner got $3,000 which was john natalie. It was so funny seeing these pros (as big as they are) on these small 250's bottoming out on every jump. (Natalie even cleared a step up once)

cdalejef
07-09-2004, 03:19 PM
That was funny...I'd like to see them let the GNCC pro's do that for 1 lap of a GNCC race.