PDA

View Full Version : Hmf or Lrd

Got_Mort03
07-04-2004, 07:22 PM
i was wandering what pipe would be best for my 440 ex i just got bored out right now i have a white brothers e series slip on...i am looking for a full pipe and silencer, i want power and i want it to make it sound like something have a mean roar to it i also have a cobra for that effect but i want something to compliment my 440 and cam i put in it.:D

Pappy
07-04-2004, 07:40 PM
im partial to HMF myself.

if your going to run a full system and not just a slip on, the HMF will do what your expecting. LRD makes a decent pipe, but the ones ive had havent held up the greatest. I do like the LRD sound a tad better then HMF, its more low and mean where the HMF just screams...:macho

redroost85
07-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Pappy right...as usual.:p

A friend of mine has a 440 with a full HMF and I am completely jealous.:o What a fricking mean *** bark and it pulls through all the rpm's.....plain awesome!:macho

FF1O5
07-04-2004, 10:43 PM
HMF all the way

Florida400EX
07-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Don't just limit to 2 pipes. I am sure most people on here would lean you towards going with a Curtis Sparks X-6 pipe for your 440.

04'400ex'er
07-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Don't just limit to 2 pipes. I am sure most people on here would lean you towards going with a Curtis Sparks X-6 pipe for your 440. No Doubt, but of the two, go with HMF

hondarider2006
07-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
No Doubt, but of the two, go with HMF

yup;)

ridered-450r
07-05-2004, 04:35 PM
hmf

Giz400ex
07-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Well, I guess I'll be the only one to say the LRD!! I've had 2 because I started off with the old style LRD and loved it. But then went with the talk in here about the Sparks, everyone was ripping and raving about the Sparks being the best and everything. So, I then bought the Sparks and hated it!!! Loss low and mid and I just had to get rid of it! So I then went back to the LRD but got the Pro-4. I didn't have any probs with the old one as for holding up but I will say the Pro-4 is better built than the old. I also debated about getting the HMF before the pro-4 but I loved my LRD and had to get it again. HMF is also a good exhaust and I think you can't go wrong with either one!!! As for sound, the LRD is more throaty sound versus the Sparks, only exhaust I can compare it to.

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Yeah, for a full system, the Sparks, LRD and HMF are all great systems. The Sparks and LRD have similar design with almost identical looking canisters/reverse megaphones. The difference in power between the 2 is in the design of the headpipes, where the LRD is a little smaller diameter and uses a stepped design as opposed to the Sparks, which is a total large diameter hi output header. The smaller diameter stepped design on the LRD is why it has more low end as you are stating. The Sparks X-6 still has plenty of midrange to me, but it is more of an open throttle pipe, Ill give you that.

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 01:05 AM
well giz, i am with you. i don't praise my sparks either. i have a stainless x-6 and my buddies ceramic x-4 makes quite a bit more power than mine on our 11:1 406 motors. i know it sounds weird but my low end power at high rpms is just as much but once we get going in the upper gears, the x-4 just pulls away. i don't know, it may be because i have stainless. if i had to get another one, i would highly consider the LRD. i really do like the sound of my sparks though. but if it doesn't perform like i prefer, i can't be really happy.

Giz400ex
07-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
well giz, i am with you. i don't praise my sparks either. i have a stainless x-6 and my buddies ceramic x-4 makes quite a bit more power than mine on our 11:1 406 motors. i know it sounds weird but my low end power at high rpms is just as much but once we get going in the upper gears, the x-4 just pulls away. i don't know, it may be because i have stainless. if i had to get another one, i would highly consider the LRD. i really do like the sound of my sparks though. but if it doesn't perform like i prefer, i can't be really happy. At that time, I had the same set-up as you, 406- 11:1, SS exhaust!!! TC426, I actually had a better mid response from the LRD than the Sparks. My experience with Sparks was expensive, depressing and never again! Just my .02:D