PDA

View Full Version : Eton smoking???????

QuadJunkies
07-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Were a little puzzled what this could be ..........
First off... Originally, something went threw the mtor when it was in stock form,so when reordering parts ,we decided to go ahead and get him a 70cc kit(with clutch kit also) since he races.
Everything went on without a hitch. Except the head is a 90 head vs. a 70. They wre on backorder so the place we ordered threw sid to use the 90 head for now and when the new one came in we could swap it out,but that alot of other people use the 90 and should be ok..As far as a pipe goes, we are still in stock form awaitng a pipe to be made due to the fact that the one we ordered DOES NOT FIT >:( So heres what we got going ......
First we tried it with oil injection ,started it a couple of times never rode it just started it,and decided to pull it off to see if we could get a more proper mix(36:1).
The first plug reading ran it about 300feet after letting it warm up, checked the plug and it was Dark grey/to almost black but was VERY dry. It runs fine from top to bottom, starts well, but while your riding it, it smokes heavily and when you shut it off, a slow drifting smoke still cont. to come out of the pipe and not a normal Exaust smell(hard to explain in words ) its the heavy smoking and bad smell that has us concerned ...Could it be becuase we still have the stock pipe on???? Maybe the 90 head ??? No one can seems to figure this one out that we have called so far......Any help would be grealty appreciated

BTW.. We tried a few different oil mixures ..
We had Amsoil in the oil injection and we tired my Daughters race mix ,and we went to 36:1 with Castor 927

We cant seem to get any info on spark plugs either

QuadJunkies
07-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Figured it out. It was the head I think.. We got a modified one from Hetricks were gonna try out this week...:)

QuadJunkies
07-09-2004, 07:32 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrr.......:mad: this is getting old really quick!!

first we put the piston and cylinder on with a 90 head because they were back ordered on a 70 head but was told a 90 head will work......well.........lower performance on that set up and it smoked a lot with a stock pipe on it.So......... then we bought a modified 50 head put it on and it runs even worse.........We put the new pipe on no change......... Theres a MAJOR power issue and we are stumped what to do??? The stock 50 head works the BEST which makes no sense!!!!!! since it’s a 50 head.. Were gonna try the head W/O the Pipe and try it with the stock pipe to see if it’s the head or the pipe were battling with............Any ideas what else to check????

QuadJunkies
07-09-2004, 07:49 PM
well, glad we got a chance to try the pipe before buying it......The pipe is poop........:(
It DEF. runs ALOT better with the modded head but not with the new pipe, runs a ton better with the stock pipe and other mods..... Guess we will wait for a WRH or a Hetricks to come in stock to try......still needing to figure out how to get more of a hit to the bottom end.......

oldyeller
07-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Are you doing a compression test comparison between all of these heads? I'd be interested to know if the 70 or the 50 have a smaller combustion chamber that boosts compression on the 90.For a bottom end boost I am experimenting with roller wieghts on our 90 which is completly stock.We did have a milled head on it that boosted cranking psi up to about 200 psi(stock is around 120)This gave us a decent little increase on the bottom end and midrange.We returned the bike to stock for our stock racing class and recently I was cleaning the variator and decided to try it running 3 rollers instead of 6 just to see what it would do.The thing takes off like a scalded cat with the front tires a foot in the air!.The 3 rollers isn't enough wieght to make it shift properly but lighter wieghts should definetly give you a lot more bottom end punch.If you are getting a new pipe though I'm sure it will come with the proper wieghts included.

QuadJunkies
07-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by oldyeller
Are you doing a compression test comparison between all of these heads? I'd be interested to know if the 70 or the 50 have a smaller combustion chamber that boosts compression on the 90.For a bottom end boost I am experimenting with roller wieghts on our 90 which is completly stock.We did have a milled head on it that boosted cranking psi up to about 200 psi(stock is around 120)This gave us a decent little increase on the bottom end and midrange.We returned the bike to stock for our stock racing class and recently I was cleaning the variator and decided to try it running 3 rollers instead of 6 just to see what it would do.The thing takes off like a scalded cat with the front tires a foot in the air!.The 3 rollers isn't enough wieght to make it shift properly but lighter wieghts should definetly give you a lot more bottom end punch.If you are getting a new pipe though I'm sure it will come with the proper wieghts included. I dont think we done a test on all the heads since we new right off the bat on take off which ones were gonna work and not work.......it turned out that the smoking WAS due to the rings being stubborn and didnt want to set we switched oils and it was set after a day.....no more smoking...:) We got the new pipe yesterday so we will should be running even better by days end.We have tried various rollers and have them from the 3 gram range all the way to 6.The compression WAS still on the lower side even after the modded head but that may have had something to do with a few other things we got corrected .When you say you were running 3 rollers.....were you referring to 3 gram rolllers????? The rollder make a HUGE difference and if you stagger them right they make a great running machine from top to bottom!!!!:blah: Ill get more info on the head comparions as well.;) Tina

QuadJunkies
07-29-2004, 10:32 AM
BTW. I see your new to the site.....Welcome to Exriders...:)

oldyeller
07-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome.I guess I should have introduced myself but I know a lot of the people from the other mini forums.Yes I did remove 3 rollers alltogether.The rollers are worn a little and needed replacing so while I am waiting on the new ones I am doing a little experimenting.I wouldn't run the bike for long with only the 3 rollers but I wanted to see how it would affect the performance of the bike as I'm new to modding these bikes although I have raced and tuned snowmobiles for years and they share a lot of similarities.I'm a little puzzled at your ring theory with the smoking of your E-ton.The rings in a two stroke only control compression not oil consumption like they do in a 4 stroke.Smoking in a two stroke is usually due to a cold pipe and engine or too much oil or a rich fuel mixture.I was wondering if some of the heads you tried were very low compression and weren't generating enough heat to burn up the oil in the cylinder?.We are still running the stock oil injection system with Motul 600 oil and the bike smokes very little,basically only when the pipe is cold.

QuadJunkies
07-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by oldyeller
Thanks for the welcome.I guess I should have introduced myself but I know a lot of the people from the other mini forums.Yes I did remove 3 rollers alltogether.The rollers are worn a little and needed replacing so while I am waiting on the new ones I am doing a little experimenting.I wouldn't run the bike for long with only the 3 rollers but I wanted to see how it would affect the performance of the bike as I'm new to modding these bikes although I have raced and tuned snowmobiles for years and they share a lot of similarities.I'm a little puzzled at your ring theory with the smoking of your E-ton.The rings in a two stroke only control compression not oil consumption like they do in a 4 stroke.Smoking in a two stroke is usually due to a cold pipe and engine or too much oil or a rich fuel mixture.I was wondering if some of the heads you tried were very low compression and weren't generating enough heat to burn up the oil in the cylinder?.We are still running the stock oil injection system with Motul 600 oil and the bike smokes very little,basically only when the pipe is cold. lol.I dunno, thats what a few people told us to do and it worked.it done it with all the heads too, it was baffling but none the less it stopped when running a Non Synthetic vs sythetic.BTW Old Yeller, I knew who you were from the other forums, nice to have you here as well.;)