PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your assets...

Tantal
07-04-2004, 01:58 PM
There is nothing worse than a thief.

Riding is really the only thing that I have at this point in my life and I have had items stolen from my property in the past, therefore I am quite paranoid when it comes to security in regard to my bikes.

Here are some of the measures that I take to insure that my bikes won't grow legs over night or when I am out ...
1. 2 dirtbikes & 1 streetbike are locked in my cellar and I have ADT ... my two quads are chained together and both are chained to support beams in the garage - then they are barricaded in place by various equipment (lawnmowers, tractor etc.) ... AND my drive way has motion detectors. While I am not 100% comfortable with where/how my quads are "secured", I am more than pleased with where/how the 2 wheelers are protected. I have also be considering getting one of my quads and one of my dirtbikes insured.

Friends and family find my routines quite odd - overly paranoid. I work hard for my money and there is no way I am going to wake up some morning or come home to find any of my bike/s stolen again. There is one thing that is for sure - if your dirtbike or quad is stolen there is 98% chance that you will never see it again. Stolen ATV's/ATC's are definitely not a high priority for LE.

How does everyone here go about protecting their bikes from the lowest form of life - thieves?

YFZ450Ridr
07-04-2004, 02:24 PM
mine is insured and its jsut locked up in my shed, nothin has ever been stolen from me.

chucked
07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
when i kept it in my shed it was locked like fort knox, now i have a container, I have a chain welded to the wall that goes through the frame and then i pad lock the chain, then i have an un-cuttable lock on the door, i used to have a video motoring system but one day it just klonked out on me. Im about to step things up a little just so i can sleep better.

YFZ450Ridr
07-04-2004, 02:55 PM
i like my 250ex n all but if it gets stolen my daddy gets to buy me a new 450 or something:D

chucked
07-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
i like my 250ex n all but if it gets stolen my daddy gets to buy me a new 450 or something:D

lucky you, if mine gets stolen I get 3 grand

fyffe23
07-04-2004, 03:03 PM
about 2 years ago my cousin had 5 fourwheelers stolen all at once. a 400ex, 300ex, warrior, trx90, and something else.. maybe quadracer? therehadnt ever really been any stealing before that. and then it kicked up. they only found the 90 and never seen any of the other fourwheelers again. abot a year ago they talked to some about buying a pipe off of him for a 400ex, hes bought another one by then, and turns out its th exact same pipe that was on his stolen 400. he had broken the mount and had it re-wealed, had a dent in same place and had the exact number of discs on it(white bros. e-series). they had sold the pipe off his 400 they stole. they figured no use messing with just getting a pipe back and the guy assured him it wasnt his but im sure it was. so.. be careful guys.

fastexgirl4c
07-04-2004, 05:36 PM
i lock mine up..to a weldin table..that is cemented to the floor..then lock the back tires up..by chaining it to a master beam in the garage..,and lock everydoor that u can use to get in the garage..and barn.. and ihave a motion detecter..that turns the lights on..that will wake me up..cuz the light hits my room...ad sometimes..i lock it in the trailor..and the trailor is locked to a cement board hooked into one of the master beams in the garage..i used to have 3 german shepards..but we had to sell them..cuz our insurance company..want 1000 each dog to lisence them.

Rip_Tear
07-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Other then its easy to cut a chain or wire, if you run them through the sproket, swing arm and frame, and then to a very heavy object its a good way to keep them from moving. I keep a 30/30 by my basement door and the dog barks like mad if anyone comes up the driveway... so.... I also insure my quads, besides it takes 5 min just move crap out of the way...

trick450r
07-04-2004, 07:12 PM
lts see my garage has a code for opening the doors then an alarm on all doors and windows then my 450r is locked to a support beam with a 3/4 inch kryptonite lock (i dont care what you guys say YOU CANT CUT IT) then my 250r is all in peices so im not worying about it and noone wants the mojave and my kodiak is insured!

chucked
07-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
lts see my garage has a code for opening the doors then an alarm on all doors and windows then my 450r is locked to a support beam with a 3/4 inch kryptonite lock (i dont care what you guys say YOU CANT CUT IT)

My buddy just had his z400 stolen and he had that lock, they nibbled through it with bolt cutters. its the truth man

Tantal
07-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I keep a 30/30 by my basement door and the dog barks like mad if anyone comes up the driveway... so.... I also insure my quads, besides it takes 5 min just move crap out of the way...

The 30-30 will do! A Mossberg M500 persuader with pistol grip and side saddle - 3rds of bean bag shot & 3rds of 00 buck would do as well :D

I also have one of them there ferocious Pitbulls to keep an ear out for me! ...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p99475250f9a5108e76edbecbb804023a/f7febcb2.jpg

Tantal
07-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by chucked
My buddy just had his z400 stolen and he had that lock, they nibbled through it with bolt cutters. its the truth man

No flame intended, but I find that hard to believe, with bolt cutters?

Butters
07-05-2004, 11:36 PM
my quads are in my shop. the only way they can get them out is if they break into the shop, then break into my car (which is parked in front of them), then move the car then they can get them. hopefully they won't want them that bad.

I-7
07-05-2004, 11:38 PM
my brothers 400ex was stolen two years ago... in fact it was on my birthday and we saw tire tracks through the grass by the school that led to the woods so we followed them and there it was with the ignition pulled out... they left it there and went to school and I guess when they came back their new toy was gone :eek2: .

Lucky for us they didnt cut the grass before we saw the tire tracks

Punk'd
07-06-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
mine is insured and its jsut locked up in my shed, nothin has ever been stolen from me.

Look again:eek:

400EXrider#91
07-06-2004, 06:31 AM
my yfz is covered under home owners insurance anytime she is in the garage. i never lock it up but most of the time i take all the tires and rims off it. if i wanted to steal a quad i would never mess with putting the wheels on at a hunters house :D

southbeach14
07-06-2004, 07:00 AM
mine is in my basement and is protected by smith&wesson:devil:

trick450r
07-06-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by chucked

I dont even believe that, we tested it we bought two and tried to get thru one of em bolt cutters barely make a mark...we had to use a plasma torch...and if someone can get into my garage with a plasma torch and cut the wire off....they can have the ****in thing!

Mxjunkie
07-06-2004, 07:34 AM
i keep my bikes in my house, usually the livingroom but they are in the room next to it now, then i had my lt in the dining room

fastblaster2002
07-06-2004, 03:03 PM
My dad has a Raptor 350 brand new...in the garage...just locked with a system where you need the code to get in. The blaster and 80 are in my neighbors garage most of the time because we dont have room...shes on vaca so we just put them in the driveway...they are just sittin out there...for a week now and theyre fine

fastblaster2002
07-06-2004, 03:03 PM
all 3 are insured anyways i think

RH1N08d9
07-06-2004, 03:21 PM
mines just in my shed with an unlocked garage door, and a garden tractor with the keys in it, and they my sisters is behind a door with a little masterlock on it, and my dads is in our trailer, I don't know if it is locked? but hopefully thiefs will stay away from here! one time my friend left his blaster on the sidewalk in front of his house at night, and someone trid to start it and ride off, he got caught though!

redrider69
07-06-2004, 07:41 PM
mine is usually parked under the deck with the keys in it or in the unlocked shed with the keys in it but ppl around here knows everybody and they know us loope boys will cut em

rollie
07-06-2004, 08:19 PM
mines in a garage in between 2 cars and you need a code to get in the garage....and when the doors open i can hear them from my room and if its not there its at a shop in a industrial park:)