PDA

View Full Version : camshafts

tigerdog
07-03-2004, 06:38 PM
hi folks i have a question about camshafts.
i have a 2003 400ex with some stuff on it .
i an planning to up the compression to eleven to one and would like advice on the best cam for my application.
i ride trails and pitts and dont like to feather the clutch to climb with it.i think it needs more mid and top end power.
have full exhaust and aluminum air box filters jets still seams to be lacking. would appreciate any advice ,thanks guys

FF1O5
07-03-2004, 07:25 PM
I just put in a hotcam stage 2 yesterday along with a hmf full system and its pretty damn fast with stock compession.I have not beat on it yet to let the cam break in but once you get up in the rpm's she just pulls hard.I would reccomend the hotcams stage 2 but i hear the TC is also a great cam,and both are drop in, no hardened rockers or valves/springs needed.

FF1O5
07-03-2004, 07:35 PM
To answer your question more,you will gain alot of mid/top end power with a stage 2,I think the TC mx cam is close to the stage 2.If you want more power in lower,the stage one would suit you well,along with the TC xc cam.Honda also makes a performance cam for the 400ex,the HRC cam with most say is the best,or get a cam from a xr400 for some lower-end power.These are all drop in and you could probably find a cheap used xr400 cam on ebay.There are many cam options,sparks,TC,powroll,hotcams and so on.I went with the hotcams because it was fairly cheap ($126),and is drop in.Installation is fairly easy also.hope this helps.

TC426EX
07-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Go with the TC cam, I did and love it... Also, do a search on this subject. I have posted alot on cams as have many others so I know there are alot of posts about it.

j37
07-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Go with a Hotcams Stage 2 cam. I put one in my 400ex when I got it bored out to a 416. I was very happy for the amount of money it cost me. I noticed an even bigger difference when I put a full system exhaust on it and took the airbox lid off and rejetted. I definately recommend a Hotcam stage 2 cam to anybody with a 400ex.

tigerdog
07-04-2004, 05:11 AM
thanks guys i will try the hotcams.