PDA

View Full Version : removing chain link

cals400ex
07-03-2004, 04:48 PM
i was just wondering what would be the easiest way to remove a link in the chain? it probably isn't difficult but i figured i didn't want to mess up the new chain i got.

TC426EX
07-03-2004, 05:03 PM
If you dont have a chain breaker you got to just take a grinder and grind the 2 little pins off on one side of the chain link. Then take a small punch and pound out the little pins and it will snap apart. A die grinder or something small would be ideal, but I did my last chain with a full sized disc grinder and just aimed it real good with the edge...

cals400ex
07-04-2004, 01:29 AM
you have to grind or cut the chain to take links off?? i don't know if it matters, but it is a DID X-Ring.

TC426EX
07-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Yup, thats the kind of chain I have too Cal... If you have a chainbreaker then youre golden, but if not, then yeah, you gotta grind it. ITs a one way process, once its shortened its shortened... You gotta grind the face of one of the links like I said until the ends of the little poins are flush and then put it in a vise and pound those little pins out with a punch to "break" the chain... Then you just use your masterlink to connect the ends and youre sweet...

Fuchs42
07-04-2004, 07:20 PM
I think he pretty much covered it. I've even used bench grinders... I think if you look through some places they have chain breakers for like 15 bucks. But if not use a grinder or even if you don't have a grinder use a file, you will just be there a while... (hey that rhymed)

cals400ex
07-05-2004, 10:54 AM
thanks guys. i don't even know how many chain links i need for my +1.25" swingarm. i guess i will just play with it.