PDA

View Full Version : loose

400ex owns
07-03-2004, 03:30 PM
my back right tire is loose. ok. on the axel close to the tire were red begins it is lose in there i shake my tire and it wobbles this is just where the axel and the red close to the wheel come together what is it?

Cody_300ex
07-03-2004, 03:31 PM
thats you hub and you probley need to tightin it up. :)

TC426EX
07-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Yup, its the hub... that is a common problem. There are various posts on here suggesting certain torque specs or putting Loc Tite on the splines and what not. I personally just cranked the castle nuts on as tight as possible where the holes are still showing then i jam the biggest size cotter pin possible in there. Alot of times people put small diameter cotter pins in there and it allows the bolt to work itself loose with the little bit of play allowed by the undersized cotter pin. It has worked so far cross my fingers, but that is generally an area I check before every ride and race. The last thing I need is to be stripping the splines on my Lonestar Axle or hubs...

Quad Dude
07-03-2004, 11:00 PM
i think the best idea for u is to stay as far away from any quad as u can get .. im mean my god WTF did u think.. and even if you dont know what it is why waste your time posting that..my word its loose tighten it and then u go riding again

JOEX
07-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Yup, its the hub... that is a common problem. There are various posts on here suggesting certain torque specs or putting Loc Tite on the splines and what not. I personally just cranked the castle nuts on as tight as possible where the holes are still showing then i jam the biggest size cotter pin possible in there. Alot of times people put small diameter cotter pins in there and it allows the bolt to work itself loose with the little bit of play allowed by the undersized cotter pin. It has worked so far cross my fingers, but that is generally an area I check before every ride and race. The last thing I need is to be stripping the splines on my Lonestar Axle or hubs...
^^^ what he said^^^^
Put some grease in there too;)

04'400ex'er
07-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
^^^ what he said^^^^
Put some grease in there too;) Why would you grease it, there is no rotation, that would only sling and collect dust.

JOEX
07-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Why would you grease it, there is no rotation, that would only sling and collect dust.
Because the repair manual says so;)

I'm no expert on this but my theory is there will some variance between the splines of the hub and the splines of the axle, there wont be a perfect zero clearence match. The grease is there to make up the difference.

My hubs came loose so I tightened them. Came loose again and tightened them again. Then I found out there should be grease in there, did that and they didn't come loose again.;)