PDA

View Full Version : Carb Questions...

JLanphear
07-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey guys....

My 400ex carb leaks gas like a mother-f'er in a wheelie. This may not sound like a big deal to you guys, but the way I ride, it is a pretty big deal....makes a mess, and I lose $$$$.

Anyway, do you know if an aftermarket carb would fix this problem? What one, and how much $$$$?

My buddies z400 doesn't leak a bit....would a stock Z carb fit on my EX? I had "heard" somewhere that putting a 400ex carb on a Z would give it a little more bottom end, so I'm guessing IF that is true, by putting a Z400 carb on my EX I might lose a little bottom end?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but just a few things I was curious on.

Thanks for the help!

-Josh

JStylz0383
07-03-2004, 02:19 PM
My 250ex dose that shieet too. I noticed it comes from that plastic tube that runs down from the bottom of your carb. I asked my dealer about that and he said it's a safety feature honda put in the quads to save your floats and carb.. I think it's retarted cuz when I wheelie it leaves a trail of gas on the dirt..

adeptex
07-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Fix your stock carb, it should not do that unless the bike is straight up. Check the float level first.

FF1O5
07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
on the z400's the carb cuts off the gas if it gets to the point where it would leak,thats why yu friends dosent do it.

cals400ex
07-03-2004, 04:39 PM
the 99's and 00's are known to do that. in 01, they revised the float pin to help prevent this problem. my friends did the same thing and he went out and got the revised part and didn't have a problem since.

JLanphear
07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the 99's and 00's are known to do that. in 01, they revised the float pin to help prevent this problem. my friends did the same thing and he went out and got the revised part and didn't have a problem since.

Good thinking....Will start there!

Thanks for the help everybody.

-Josh

cals400ex
07-04-2004, 01:16 AM
you can look on www.servicehonda.com at all the parts on a 400ex. it will show you the part numbers and changes from year to year that were made.

you should probably make sure one of the hoses on the carb isn't clogged either.