PDA

View Full Version : adjust valves, feeler guage ? QUICK!!!

maxamillion
07-03-2004, 10:47 AM
well my dad and i are trying to adjust the valves and we cant get the feeler guage down in there so we know how far to adjust them. we are goin by the clymers manual. do u just have to bend the guage and shove it down in there? its a 400ex.

Need a quick response so if u know what im talkin about please help.. THANKS

Pappy
07-03-2004, 10:49 AM
i believe you will need a set of "angled" feeler gauges. im not sure you can get a straight one in there.

maxamillion
07-03-2004, 11:01 AM
we have the angled feeler gauges. we got the gauge down in there but we cant get it between adjusting screw and subrocker arm. we are even using a .008 size guage and they call for .005 and .004. It is possible that the valves are to tight? the topend was ticking alot b4 we took it apart so the would have to be loose right? thanks for the response pappy.

cheatin mother
07-03-2004, 11:34 AM
.008 won,t fit because it,s bigger then .004 or .005. Just bend or cut the feeler gage to suit your needs.

chucked
07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by maxamillion
we have the angled feeler gauges. we got the gauge down in there but we cant get it between adjusting screw and subrocker arm. we are even using a .008 size guage and they call for .005 and .004. It is possible that the valves are to tight? the topend was ticking alot b4 we took it apart so the would have to be loose right? thanks for the response pappy.

you are using to big of a feeler guage, it will just make the ticking worse.

cheatin mother
07-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Do you have your camshaft in the right position? All 4 rocker arms should have some play between them and the valves if your in the right position!

Pappy
07-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by cheatin mother
.008 won,t fit because it,s bigger then .004 or .005. Just bend or cut the feeler gage to suit your needs.

yeah the one your trying to use is too thick.

maxamillion
07-03-2004, 12:42 PM
well i picked up some smaller gauges and used the right sizes this time.(.005 exhaust and .004 intake). they still wouldnt fit between the rockers! it turned out my valves were way to tight.(The owner b4 me Probably tried to adjust them w/ out a manual) I got them all adjusted how they should be and adjusted the flywheel to. Now i just got to put er all back together. I dont understand why it was ticking if they were to tight tho.
thanks for the help guys!!!!!!

maxamillion
07-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Will my quad start easier now cuz to start it you always had to use the choke and let it warm up. Im pretty sure its jetted right too. Only mods are uni filter, 155 main.

cals400ex
07-03-2004, 04:43 PM
well, did you make sure the bike was on top dead center?? that would make the valves tight if it wasn't.

also, your bike would be quicker if you ran the stock keihin 148 mainjet. if your worried about running lean with the air filter, a 150 would be more than enough. by the way, i assume your air box lid isn't modified.

3x440ex
07-04-2004, 07:00 PM
even if you are on top dead center you need to make sure that your cam lobs are down....if the valves don't have some play in them then turn the flywheel another 360 deg.

maxamillion
07-04-2004, 07:29 PM
what do u guys mean , on top dead ceneter?

Spikers400
07-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Top dead center is when the piston is at the end of its stroke. At the very top. You want to
1. Take of both allens on the left case, one in the middle, one towards the top
2. Remove all the plastics, and the valve covers.
3. Put a socket on the middle hole of the case. THis will turn the flywheel
4. With a socket wrench rotate the flywheel counter clockwise while looking in the top window
5. Keep turning the flywheel untill you can see an index mark with a T next to it in the top window.
6. Directly line the index mark on the flywheel with the notch on the window.
7. Go up to the exaust valves ( front of the engine) and lift on the tappets. Check for play, if there is no play then you are in the exaust stroke. and the flywheel must be rotated 360 degrees back to the same index mark.
8. When there is play in both exaust and intake valves and you are on the T mark, then you are at TDC, and you can adjust the valves.
9. Loosen the locking bolt, and slide the feeler gauge in there, and with a screw driver tighten the tappet untill you can slide it in and out with slight ressitance.
10. Adjust valves to correct clearence and reasemble everything

Hope that helps, Ryan

chucked
07-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
what do u guys mean , on top dead ceneter?

hahaha, i think we found out problem. READ THE CLYMERS MANUAL, it will tell you how to find top dead center...... remove the two caps on the left side case of your engine, they are the ones you use an allen wrench to remove, rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise and align the "T" mark on the flywheel with the index notch in the left crankcase cover, the rocker arms should be loose, if the rocker arms on the exhast side are tight, rotate the crankshaft counter clockwise one full turn and realign the "T" mark with the index notch. DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE CLOCKWISE AT ALL!!!! this will throw off you gap.

chucked
07-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Spikers400
Top dead center is when the piston is at the end of its stroke. At the very top. You want to
1. Take of both allens on the left case, one in the middle, one towards the top
2. Remove all the plastics, and the valve covers.
3. Put a socket on the middle hole of the case. THis will turn the flywheel
4. With a socket wrench rotate the flywheel counter clockwise while looking in the top window
5. Keep turning the flywheel untill you can see an index mark with a T next to it in the top window.
6. Directly line the index mark on the flywheel with the notch on the window.
7. Go up to the exaust valves ( front of the engine) and lift on the tappets. Check for play, if there is no play then you are in the exaust stroke. and the flywheel must be rotated 360 degrees back to the same index mark.
8. When there is play in both exaust and intake valves and you are on the T mark, then you are at TDC, and you can adjust the valves.
9. Loosen the locking bolt, and slide the feeler gauge in there, and with a screw driver tighten the tappet untill you can slide it in and out with slight ressitance.
10. Adjust valves to correct clearence and reasemble everything

Hope that helps, Ryan

damn you beat me to it

Spikers400
07-04-2004, 08:25 PM
lol:D, BTW chucked how do u like ur ignition, and what did you pay for it.... THanks

chucked
07-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Spikers400
lol:D, BTW chucked how do u like ur ignition, and what did you pay for it.... THanks

its night and day, its so much more torque, it isnt noticable in drag racing but woods racing, which is where i do my best it is, my first one actually blew up and i actually didnt notice the difference in power until after i waited 2 weeks to get the new one, then going from my stock to aftermarket ignition, is when i noticed. I think I paid around $300 for it.

maxamillion
07-04-2004, 08:59 PM
"Top dead center is when the piston is at the end of its stroke. At the very top."

thanks, thats all i needed. i guess i glanced over that term in the clymers. and ye i made sure it was at TDC when i adjusted them.