PDA

View Full Version : high comp 400 vs. 416

maxamillion
07-02-2004, 10:25 PM
ok i got a few questions for when i decide i need more power.

assuming stock hp is 28, what kind of gains am i looking at with these mods... Ross 11.0:1 piston(stock size), hotcam stage 2 or TC cam, TC or GT thunder cdi. i will also have a UNI filter and full system. And also what hp would a 416 bore put out with the same mods? i want to keep the motor reliable too.

i heard the hotcams tick on the topend of the motor does the TC cam do this two? which cam is the best all around? is there any difference between the GT thunder and TC cdi's? And could i run premium pump with both of these motors?

THANKS!!!

TC426EX
07-03-2004, 04:53 AM
The 416 will be a better motor. You will be able to run pump gas as long as you dont go over 11:1 compression. The TC cam also ticks a bit when youre running it, but it is normal. Yes, the TC cam is noticeably better than the Hotcam. You would need to specify if you ordered one whether you want the MX or XC grind cam. The TC and GT Thunder are both the best CDI's but the GT Thunder also advances the timing I have heard. I havent run the GT Thunder but I DO run the TC and I can tell you that it is the best CDI I have ever run. I used to run the White Brothers box (what a PILE that thing is...) and the bike would never start once I modified it especially. The TC starts faster than the stock CDI surprisingly and has a more aggressive curve than the WB. Thats my .02. If you go 416, it will be a good idea to get some porting done down the road, that really sets those motors apart...

Chanman420q
07-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Yes, the TC cam is noticeably better than the Hotcam.

i beg the differ, i had the TC XC grind and put a stage 2 hot cam in it and i like the hot cam better.

maxamillion
07-03-2004, 12:54 PM
So if i just did the 11:1 piston(stock size), cam, pipe, filter, and cdi would i be in the 32-34 hp range? and 416 would be in 34-36 range? would porting help if i still had the stock bore too?

Chanman420q- what did u like more about the hotcam stage 2 than the TC XC grind?

thanks

07-03-2004, 04:31 PM
to save you money almost all aftermarket cdi's are only stock xr250 cdi's so if you go to any junkyards or atv salvage sites just buy one of them and it will be like buyin one for a couple hundred dollars

Chanman420q
07-03-2004, 04:53 PM
i think the hot cam was more responsive, and the power came on stronger. dont get me wrong the TC was a great cam, but the hot cam seated my needs better

nakomis0
07-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by maxamillion
So if i just did the 11:1 piston(stock size), cam, pipe, filter, and cdi would i be in the 32-34 hp range? and 416 would be in 34-36 range? would porting help if i still had the stock bore too?

Chanman420q- what did u like more about the hotcam stage 2 than the TC XC grind?

thanks

I think you in the ballpark with the hp #'s 32-34. But I don't think theres going to be much difference between a 400 and a 416, maybe 1 hp. (and a lil bit more torque)