PDA

View Full Version : boredom & creativity with stock parts

crday98
08-28-2001, 10:58 AM
i think this is a good one to bring back from the old forum.:)

there are plenty of parts that can be stripped or sanded to polish the aluminum and have it look like chrome on our quads.

there are plenty of parts that can be painted different colors to stand out and look good.

how about posting what you have done to yours and a pic if possible?there is a lot of stuff i did and a lot of stuff i am curious as to how it would look like a different color.

08-28-2001, 11:48 AM
Well I painted my stock heat shield, gear shifter, front brake resi cover, and rear sprocket red. The heat shield painted red was the best looking addition of all,,it didn't chip, bubble up, or anything from the heat...

Here's a pic with the painted heat shield,,,don't have it on anymore since I got me a powerbong and man I haven't seen that pic in a long time,,just reminds me of were all my dang money has been goin,,doesn't even look like my same bike.:D

RideRed04
08-28-2001, 03:34 PM
I wonder how a red heat sheild would look on a yellow ex... Hmm

skemp
08-28-2001, 10:15 PM
My pictures... (http://400ex0.tripod.com/pictures.htm)

There are a couple of the polishing I have done.

crday98
08-31-2001, 01:04 PM
i just figured i'd let everyone know of the best product to strip the paint off the side cases and such aluminum parts.it is called aircraft stripper.i used a spray can and the paint shriveled instantly.just wiped them with a rag and polished them.i tried 3 different kinds of paint strippers prior to trying this stuff and this is the only one that really works.you can get it at your local paint supply shop.i'm pretty sure wal mart has some too.

08-31-2001, 05:52 PM
Sweetness! I need to seriously get some of that stuff. My new ignition cover looks nothing like my old one, different shade of paint and it almost looks gay, but that will be taken care of soon:D

09-16-2001, 05:52 PM
what u paint the heat sheild with? spray paint or just normal?
I think it might look fat if you paint the wheel nuts red or what ever color. i might try it.
if you get n e more ideas let me know i wanna do some stock stuff also.
zack

Nausty
09-24-2001, 10:30 AM
we did a lot of that type of stuff with my yz80 we painted a lot of the bolts gold(the easiest way to do it get a cardboard box and make some hole to stick them in the paint the top) then we painted the ignition cover. We were gonna get the steel braided hose covers you can buy at auto parts store but didn't sell it for the size you needed and you buy way more of the sizes you don't need. It was like 60 bux.

Nausty
09-24-2001, 10:31 AM
oh yeah I think my dad is going to make a aluminum checker plated heat sheild for my 400ex and a checker plated skid plate.

09-24-2001, 02:03 PM
i polished one of my spindles but got lazy and didn't do the other one but the one looks good

RideRed04
09-24-2001, 02:20 PM
I bet that will really mess ya up if you get drunk...:D

Foxrage
09-24-2001, 06:15 PM
You shouldnt be drinking around your atv its a bad infuence on it what if it started to drink and it was to passed out to let u ride it. LOL

09-25-2001, 12:30 AM
hmm, i hope the drinking remarks aren't about me...maybe I'll have to thrown an alchol carb on the old 400 ex

10-03-2001, 05:19 PM
i painted my heatshield red, it looks good but looks when i go riding the paint is gonna melt off