PDA

View Full Version : for the snowmobile guys or girls out there

partyboy300ex
07-02-2004, 03:55 PM
i am looking for a new sled im looking at the new yamaha RX1 does anyone in here own one if so could u tell me what u think bout it?

partyboy300ex
07-02-2004, 04:00 PM
or does anyone have another suggestion or a sled i should get?thanks

TRX250X
07-02-2004, 04:27 PM
The RX-1 takes a lot of crap from everyone it seems like. They are big, and very, very heavy for what you get, and the suspension isn't great. It depends on what you want though. If you want a lot of power and fuel saving go with it. But it's not your first choice for banging through rough trails. You'll want to look at a Ski-doo REV, or an Arctic Cat Firecat. Both are very good sleds that can be tailored to fit your needs. Polaris also has a bunch of different sleds to look at also.

Ski-Doo also has a new Mach Z 1000 with TONS of power, it might be worth a look.

Tell us what kind of riding you like, and someone might be able to help more.

partyboy300ex
07-02-2004, 04:56 PM
we do alot of trail and river riding i was looking for a 4 stroke sled though wht about the yamaha RS fourstrokes?

SSracingNY
07-02-2004, 05:34 PM
My dad has a 03 RX-1. He complains a little bit b/c its so tippy but its a lake sled. what more do you want. its made for flat out wide open areas. we do a lot of trail riding. i mean a lot. i like the tippy on the trails cuz it kinda makes it more fun. you can get it on 1 ski and go forever. the power is pretty sick. off a stand still, punch the gas, skis will be in the air, 20ft + rooster tail and your gone. he got it to 120MPH and ran outta lake. well it was 3 ponds into 1. anywho, 1st oil change is done at 500 miles. 2nd is done at 1000 i think. but to do it you gotta take off the intake which sits ontop of the motor if youve ever seen under the hood(its all motor), then you take off the bar thats welded to a battery cage. unbolt the bar from the aluminum cradle. then you can get at the oil filter. take off the right side belly pan to get at the dip stick and oil fill.

riding at night is great. lights are bright as hell and it looks sick. it has the ripsaw track which i prefer over any other regular track(1'' to 1.50''). it has a "warm up idiot light". this light turns on automatically when you start the sled. i believe it is a ! mark in red. it will go off when the sled is warmed up and ready for use. DO NOT RIDE IF THAT LIGHT IS ON! has a fuel light on it. 8 U.S. gallon tank which has about the same mileage as my dlx and my moms touring sled(sold). on the 03, for the throttle and hand warmers, you would always have to reset your comfort. 04-present i believe they had changed that so it stays where you left it when you shut the machine off. the sled is extreamly reliable. we never had any problems with it. the 04- present i think they added to the ski stance. but if you set your shocks right it doesnt feel tippy at all. if you set them too high, your skis will be in the air all the time and thats not too cool at times. at 1st it rides rough until its broken in. yea its the front is pretty heavy but if you use the engine you can power your way out of most pickles. the dual exhaust is amazing. the only thing i didnt like is the space on the running boards where you can tuck your feet into the cubby things. they are a bit tight. i wear those mickey boots which are bigger than any typical snow boot. over all i would recomend the sled. every one beats it to hell but i like it a lot. its a sick sled. if i can think of more stuff ill add it but thats about it. any other questions ask me. if i got pics on my computer ill send em. hope i helped

Rip_Tear
07-02-2004, 07:58 PM
I would look into Skidoo's Rev's if your looking for something nice. I love my MXZ, its no REV but Skidoo has never treated me wrong, Arctic cat has some pretty nice sleds too. You can't go too wrong now a days though.

redgrizz
07-02-2004, 08:22 PM
i cant say for the rx1 but for a rev i can. Im use to driving a ski doo mxz 500 which is very nice to me. But when my dad's buddy let me on his ski doo rev 800, that was the fastest most comfortable ride i have ever been on. that thing can go through any amount of powder and rip your arms out of your socket acceleration that i love. I say go for the rev, id pick it over the rx1 anyday but all i do is trail riding so it would be perfect for me.

Quad18star
07-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I'd stay away from the RX-1 ... This is after riding one and listening to all the sledders that come into the store complain about them . Lots of pushing in corners , lots of roll , always fighting the machine , and its not as fast as they thought the sled was gunna eb and as fast as all the hype was about . I'd look into a Rev chassied Bombardier .... 600 cc sled will do you plenty for the ridding you explained you'll be doing . The ridding position takes about a day to get used to , after that you'll love it . Its a "Point and Go" type sled . Our Factory Team rides the Revs ... Theres a reason why We are #1 and Bombardier plays a big part of it .

LTandRaptorider
07-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'd stay away from the RX-1 ... This is after riding one and listening to all the sledders that come into the store complain about them . Lots of pushing in corners , lots of roll , always fighting the machine , and its not as fast as they thought the sled was gunna eb and as fast as all the hype was about . I'd look into a Rev chassied Bombardier .... 600 cc sled will do you plenty for the ridding you explained you'll be doing . The ridding position takes about a day to get used to , after that you'll love it . Its a "Point and Go" type sled . Our Factory Team rides the Revs ... Theres a reason why We are #1 and Bombardier plays a big part of it .

Theres a reason why We are #1 and Bombardier plays a big part of it .

You sound like you're in management now! :D

ReconRider25
07-02-2004, 09:32 PM
i love my arctic cats. try taking a look at the 660 turbo.;)

Quad18star
07-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Theres a reason why We are #1 and Bombardier plays a big part of it .

You sound like you're in management now! :D LOL ....This management stuff is growing on me more and more each day . I put in over 60 hours in the last 5 days , and still have to go and work another 8 hrs day today. I'll take one day off , then get right back into the swing of things and put in another 60 hours in 5 days ( this time I'm taking the weekend off to go do some TT racing). I'm really glad I took the job .... it's a lot of work but it's rewarding and has it's benefits . I received one weeks wrth of training and then the Manager decided he was taking a weeks worth of vacation and let me run the store by myself this week ..... I think I did pretty good and didn't burn the store down ( knock on wood) . But back to the main topic ... Bombardier has some of the most reliable sleds out on the market ..... change the clutching , add a pipe , add some studs , and you're ready to tackle ANYTHING . Like I said ... If it wouldn't be for Factory Bombardier support , our race team would not be in #1 place in Canada . I'm hoping next year to sign with Team Bombardier/Factory Recreation/Royal Distributing , and ride the provincial series .

LTandRaptorider
07-03-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
LOL ....This management stuff is growing on me more and more each day . I put in over 60 hours in the last 5 days , and still have to go and work another 8 hrs day today. I'll take one day off , then get right back into the swing of things and put in another 60 hours in 5 days ( this time I'm taking the weekend off to go do some TT racing). I'm really glad I took the job .... it's a lot of work but it's rewarding and has it's benefits . I received one weeks wrth of training and then the Manager decided he was taking a weeks worth of vacation and let me run the store by myself this week ..... I think I did pretty good and didn't burn the store down ( knock on wood) . But back to the main topic ... Bombardier has some of the most reliable sleds out on the market ..... change the clutching , add a pipe , add some studs , and you're ready to tackle ANYTHING . Like I said ... If it wouldn't be for Factory Bombardier support , our race team would not be in #1 place in Canada . I'm hoping next year to sign with Team Bombardier/Factory Recreation/Royal Distributing , and ride the provincial series .

Yep, all the hard work will pay off... and it's cool to be doing something you really like. At least you got one week of training! Good luck, but I'm sure you don't need it... you do fine. ;) If for some reason things wouldn't work out at that place, it's valuable experience to add to your resume.

jokerman_28
07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
the rx1 isnt a very good trail sled at all. it does push the corners a lot. it was be a great lake sled and is too heavy for river riding. but for trails i don't think anyone could argue the REV chassis is the best to date. the 500 would be great for trails and river. but if you ever get to a lake or just love to pass your friends on an open field. look at the 600 (fastest 600 available) and 800. the new mach z 1000 is unreasonable for what you would use it for.

it seems your intrested in a very high performance sled but for trail riding and lightweight check out the 550 fan.

if you can't force yourself into buyin a ski-doo, check out the firecat. though not as good handling the f7 is the fastest production 700cc.

Honda4trax250x
07-09-2004, 10:14 PM
i would stay away from 4 stroke sleds...

toomeyshee87
07-10-2004, 12:40 AM
we have 2 artic cat firecat 700 snowpros that we got last year with the 1 1/2 paddle track and they have TONS of power! 140 horse i think, good accel and top speed over 100 (havent completely topped them out yet) and the suspension is very nice. the snow pro shocks help alot, fox shocks with progressive springs and remote cans up front with wishbone suspension (no more trailing arms) and a single fox shock in the back with a piggyback rezzie. if i were you i would look at a cat.

ive been hearing of the revs blowing the motors but they are warrentied so i wouldnt worry about that... just ride a bunch of diff ones and decide what feels good.

Parrella450
07-10-2004, 08:52 AM
all depends on what brand you want? Me, i stay loyal to my colors which is SKi-doo...im sorry but the RX-1 sucks...unless u want to do ice drags its ok...but in the trails u gotta work ur a** off...i got a 00 mxz 700 and a 04 mxz 800 rev renegade which is a hybrid and i love it. you cant go wrong with any ski-doo...they have a sled for any type of riding. Those new 4 strokes arent as hot and fast as u think either....there heavy..but i havent tried hte new yamaha 3 cylinder yet though..i think its called hte Vector...but i would highly recommend ski-doo...or jus put skis and tracks on ur quad lol