PDA

View Full Version : xc swingarm

coryatver
07-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Went to replace my swingarm bearings, finally got the bolt out then got the swingarm off and its all chewed up in the inside of the chain side. So now I need a new swingarm. I don't know what I should get. Just get another new stock one or a used stock one or an aftermarket one. I race xc so I don't know if I want it any longer? What length is good for xc? The stock swingarm seems like its pretty weak so I think I an aftermarket one would be stronger but is it worth it?

Pappy
07-02-2004, 03:06 PM
i like stock length, it seems to turn better. some will say they like longer for better traction/ less wheely's. IMO i think the better turning raduis is needed and you tend to lose that with an extended swing arm. my 425 had a 1 1/4 and i hated how it turned on sharp corners in the woods.

as far as stock vs. aftermarket?

tuff call. if your not into spending way too much on an aftermarket i think a stock unit will be fine.

Bill Fuller
07-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I would reccommend an aftermarket 1 1/4 in extended swingarm.I never noticed a difference in turning radius but did notice that the front end would climb more while the rear end tended to drop on off camber(not anything to worry about just needed to adjust riding style).Excellent for hill climbing and dead engine starts,the front end tends to stay on the ground.I broke 2 stockers racing XC so the aftermarket swingarm was a no brainer.

coryatver
07-05-2004, 03:31 PM
I have a stock motor and elka ssd's it keeps planted pretty well but I think it would help a lot with hills. Can I bolt on my skid plates on to aftermarket swingarms? I kind of like the houser swingarm are they good?

TC426EX
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Yes, aftermarket swingarms generally come with skidplate mounts. Some come with skid plate mounts OR a chain slider mount, vice versa. Some also come with both, and some you have to request skidplate mounts when you order it. Either way, you should be able to get one with skid mounts from about any manufacturer...