PDA

View Full Version : install stem

RGERBER875
07-02-2004, 09:19 AM
going to install a new oem steering stem, also bought bearing , anything tricky i should know before i start.?

TC426EX
07-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Simple straightforward job, should have no problems... It might help to take the front plastic off though to see and access the top stem bushing bolts better. I found its pretty hard to find a wrench that will jam in there with the front plastic on... Just remove those 2 little bolts, disconnect the tie rods, remove the huge nut on the bottom of the stem and pull it right out!! Swap the bearings, and drop the new stem in. Reverse process and you're done... Oh yeah, the only thing that sucks is that youll have to re align your front end when you are done.

Pappy
07-02-2004, 09:34 AM
before you start, make sure you have a set of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring that holds in the stem bearing.

also, when reinstalling the stem bracket, grease her up and use a washer on one side of the clamp inbetween the clamp. you will have much easier steering!

TC426EX
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, snap ring pliers are MANDATORY! I have saved myself alot of headaches by having them both on the stem job, and when removing the big one that holds the rear bearing carrier too when I needed it...

RGERBER875
07-02-2004, 07:18 PM
how do you re-align a quad?