PDA

View Full Version : truck throttle body spacers???

440exnacsracer
07-01-2004, 11:23 PM
i was just wondering if any of u had put throttle body spacers on your vehicles.. i am thinking of ordering one. my friend just put one on his truck today along with a cold air intake and the whistling sounds mean..very mean. but i dont want to spend a benjamin on a peice of metal for just the sound, do they really create ponies? i just dont see how they could. any advice is appreciated. thanks
ben

Pappy
07-01-2004, 11:24 PM
i guess it would or could concievably make more power if the air was straightened out but i highly doubt it would be a big of enough difference to bother with. how are they marketing it, like the old velocity stacks or carb spacers that claimed added torque?

440exnacsracer
07-01-2004, 11:30 PM
well airaid claims theirs (it has cnc machined spirals on the outskirts) creates a spinning motion of the air thus creating a denser air charge and better fuel atomization(sp?) but i just dont see paying that much for a 1" piece of aluminum unless ill get at least 15 hp..

popo
07-02-2004, 06:05 AM
I have one plus a Volant cold air intake. Did not do sqat for the truck unless you get into the 5g rpm range, which I never plan on doing pulling a trailer.

I think the biggest gains are in the diesels.

stiffy
07-02-2004, 07:53 AM
We had one on our 5.9 360 Dodge Ram. It made a noticable difference but not a huge one. Personally I think it made more power than when we put the K&N Air intake system in. And it did give us better gas mileage. But now I have a Cummins and would never go back to Gas.

440exnacsracer
07-05-2004, 08:02 PM
well, i didnt get a chance to look at the last few replys, and the friend who bought it origionally could not stand the whistling, i figured i could deal with it and ive been making a fair amount of money this summer so i figured why not. turns out he had it installed wrong and i got a fair amount of horsepower. the previous day i also cut the exhaust off that came on the truck (true dual flowmasters) and welded on a set of turndowns, i think if i order a hypertech chip i can hang with stock lightnings, a 4.6 mustang barely walked away yesterday, so i should be getting up there :D thanks for the replys though
Ben

SGA
07-05-2004, 09:13 PM
I believe the idea is the longer the intake, the more low end torque you have. You wont notice a big increase in power though. Go for air box and exhaust mods first. They offer the biggest increase in HP over stock with the least amount of money. Probably a chip after that. By then you should have learned enough on the net and talking to people to know what to do next.

acold7dusta
07-06-2004, 12:37 PM
my dad got one of those in his dakota he said it paid itself off after 3 weeks from the gas it saved. it also gave him about 10 horsepower- not bad, but....the whisling noise does get annoying after a while IMO