PDA

View Full Version : putting in a cam and 416 piston your self

1 bad dakota
07-01-2004, 06:48 PM
how many of you guys build you own bikes. i am ordering a 416 piston gaskets, hotcam stage 2 cam, heavy duty cam chain. after i get it bored how hard are these items to install i am know how to do two strokes but not 4 strokes please help. also how will this setup run.

hotcam stage 2
heavy duty cam chain
ported&polished head
HMF slip on.

thanks

Florida400EX
07-01-2004, 07:39 PM
It's not too hard. The first four stroke engine I've ever redone, was an XR50, I have still yet to open up the 400ex engine. I'd suggest that you first try to rebuild something worth less than you EX, or buy a Clymers manual, which has detailed instructions on how to replace/rebuild you whole top end.

TC426EX
07-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the EX motor is a pretty simple motor to work... If you get your Cylinder bored + honed then installing your new piston, rings, gaskets, cam, adjusting your valve lash etc... wont be too big of a deal. If you havent invested in a clymers manual as someone pointed out then do it!! If you are a first timer doing the work, it will make the job go much much easier since it is very detailed and has pictures and schematics in it...

lilpoppy
07-01-2004, 09:47 PM
I have done it many times myself. Get the manual and go through it step by step your first time and you won't have any trouble at all. If you do run into a problem just ask someone on here.

UglyMotha™
07-02-2004, 08:31 AM
might want to think about getting a crf450 timing chain rather than the ex heavy duty, same thing only a butt load cheaper

sickmojave
07-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
might want to think about getting a crf450 timing chain rather than the ex heavy duty, same thing only a butt load cheaper

I agree.:D look in the F.A.Q. section. lots of good info about this in there.;)

PHIL_B54
07-02-2004, 08:46 AM
from what little ive delt with clymers, i would recomend getting the honda manual. IMO its worth the extra $. or go on ebay and buy a 400ex manual on CD for $5

if you go follow the manual, you can do it

RAPTORAZ
07-02-2004, 08:57 AM
If you have a factory shop manual and a decent mechanical ability, it's an easy job.

On a side note: Make sure the shop that bores your jug does NOT remove the head studs. It seems that no one can reinstall the studs as well as Honda did from the factory. Head gaskets will be a reoccurring problem if the studs get R&Red.