PDA

View Full Version : shifting w/o using clutch?

Gatorman199
07-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Am i damaging my tranny by shiftin up(ONLY) on my 300ex w/o using the clutch fpr wheelies?

Doibugu2
07-01-2004, 03:53 PM
There doesn't seem to be any proof one way other the other if it's hurting the clutch. But there are several members here who sometimes don't use the clutch to upshift and they haven't seen any abnormal wear.

As long as your in the right part of the powerband you should be okay. Besides clutch plates aren't all that much anyway to replace even if you do wear them out a little sooner.

Syrus
07-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Gatorman199
Am i damaging my tranny by shiftin up(ONLY) on my 300ex w/o using the clutch fpr wheelies?

um... yes.

TheMachine
07-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah i agree with Syrus you're gonna wear it out if you don't use your clutch. Thats what they're there for.:D

Doibugu2
07-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Do a search, there are several posts about this and get the feedback from more experienced riders.

Pappy
07-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by TheMachine
Yeah i agree with Syrus you're gonna wear it out if you don't use your clutch. Thats what they're there for.:D

there is actually less wear when the clutch is not used. the only parts that will see increased wear could be gear teeth and damage to a shift fork if the shift isnt made properly or forced.

ive been riding quads since they first hit the dirt and i dont use my clutch much at all unless its for feathering and starting/stopping and so far i havent ever had an issue related to this practice

JJWB023
07-02-2004, 05:55 PM
settled:D

lol
07-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
there is actually less wear when the clutch is not used. the only parts that will see increased wear could be gear teeth and damage to a shift fork if the shift isnt made properly or forced.

ive been riding quads since they first hit the dirt and i dont use my clutch much at all unless its for feathering and starting/stopping and so far i havent ever had an issue related to this practice

wow....i've never considered this:confused: do alot of people do this

Pappy
07-02-2004, 09:57 PM
truthfully, i see alot of riders shifting without using thier clutch. i havent walked up after a race and asked them if it was by choice or because thier left hand was done and they couldnt use the clutch:p

i guess the way i ride without my clutch was a huge reason the new auto clutch i have in my R came easy for me. i had never riden with this set up before, yet was able to come from a dead engine start and race for 2 hours and i never once touched my clutch. i dont even remeber reaching for it:p

Shawn H
07-02-2004, 09:58 PM
I also only use the clutch to start/stop or feather in a technical section. I rarely use the clutch to shift during a race.

TheMachine
07-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Guess I've never really thought about it. I figured you needed to because if you dont then why are clutches on there, thats why I've always used one. Guess if you dont want to it wont hurt. If pappy says it wont hurt it then im sure it wont because i dont really know to much about it. Thats just what i figured.

Pappy
07-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by TheMachine
Guess I've never really thought about it. I figured you needed to because if you dont then why are clutches on there, thats why I've always used one. Guess if you dont want to it wont hurt. If pappy says it wont hurt it then im sure it wont because i dont really know to much about it. Thats just what i figured.

lol dont go out and start mashing gears just because i say so! its a technique thats learned and when done properly there shouldnt be any problems.

you will also find that different quads will shift smoother then others and vice versa and ive riden some who's trannys were so bad you had to use the clutch!

one thing i dont do is powershift. thats shifting without the clutch under full throttle. from what ive been told (and found out first hand from years of drag racing) that is the biggest reason for shift fork damage. and also downshifting into first from too high an rpm. ive seen trannys blow wether the clutch was used or not in that event, i geuss the increased load causes it but im not a mechanic so i cant tell ya for sure!

07-03-2004, 11:37 AM
i agree with pappy i do it to sometimes and it wont wear out the clutch more just some of the parts in the tranny might wear quicker

Out_Sider
07-08-2004, 06:49 PM
well, on the holeshot, i power shift the hell outa my 300ex.. i hold it wide *** open and jam thru the gears. but that is the only time i powershift, other than that i let off the gas and hit the shifter up. i only use the clutch to downshift, to pull it in, in the air for mid air correction, and to feather it comign out of a turn, i havent had any failures as of yet