PDA

View Full Version : Rode a quad last night with Axis shocks, its an unfair advantage

atvrulz
07-01-2004, 10:08 AM
I rode this dudes 250R last night who had axis shocks on a very bumpy, whooped out track. Then i rode my stock YFZ on the same track. On my YFZ, the quad rode like a bucking bronco. With the 250R i hardly felt anything. It is almost an unfair advantage to have shocks that work that well.

cdalejef
07-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Thats why lots of people go with aftermarket ;)

REAPER
07-01-2004, 10:35 AM
I hope to find out that sensation as well in a week, when I get my new elks triples w/piggy fronts and dual rate/dual rear. I have heard nothing but great things about ride quality with a good after-market set up. I didnt spring for the long travel rear linkage, but I will eventually. Thats good to hear, May the bronco technique be gone forever!! Reaper

Florida400EX
07-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by REAPER
I hope to find out that sensation as well in a week, when I get my new elks triples w/piggy fronts and dual rate/dual rear. I have heard nothing but great things about ride quality with a good after-market set up. I didnt spring for the long travel rear linkage, but I will eventually. Thats good to hear, May the bronco technique be gone forever!! Reaper

It's gonna be like getting a new quad again! :D

boogiechile
07-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Don't get me wrong here, the axis or any good aftermarket shock will mkae a HUGE difference. But the same axis setup on your yfz will not smooth out the whoops and rough stuff as well as they do on the R. The R has a lot more rake on the frame where the a arms mount than a yfz, so when you hit the rough stuff the suspension can go back more as it goes up. This will make a big difference in the rough stuff and nose down landings. There is always a trade off though and that is that the r can not be braked as hard without the nose diving as the flatter yfz. The full tavel of the R is not utilized as actual vertical travel as much either. The cornering is also going to be really good on the flatter frame. No matter what though you will be amazed at what a set of top notch shocks can do. Just don't expect a set of axis to be quite as smooth on your yfz as the r in the rough stuff. Landings will be great on the yfz though.

Greene Streak Racing projects (http://www.picturetrail.com/mojaveaddict)