PDA

View Full Version : Are herrmann racing A-arms a quality product?

sparky450AR
06-30-2004, 10:59 PM
I like the looks of these arms. I was thining about ordering there long travel set-up. Does anyone have experience with them?

The only thing im worried about is where the two tubes on the lower arms merge together. Here is a pic to show you what im talking about. Where the tubes merge, i would think could be a high stress area, it seems like more strength could be had for oncomming force if the a-arms angled together instead of merging. Is this the case, or do I have nothing to worry about? The shock mounts also look a little weak!

http://www.herrmannracing.com/images/long_travel_aarms_large.gif

sparky450AR
06-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Here is there XC 19 inch shock version. They look pretty beefy really. Only bad thing is the XC shock doesnt come in extedned versions.

http://www.herrmannracing.com/MVC-003F.JPG

Hammer trx450r
07-01-2004, 04:31 AM
If im not mistaken they have the same look as the roll design arms.

Motoman440
07-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Iv'e got +2+1 Herrmann A-Arms on my 250R and they have been very nice arms. I don't do big air but I'll hit a 40 to 50 foot double and they have done well to withstand the landings. I weigh about 195 as well. Yeah, I know I need to loose some weight!!! I would recommend the A-Arms from Herrmann.

quadjeff
07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
My buddy has a set on his YFZ. They are pretty light weight. We did some XC this weekend and he hit a log and broke the upper a-arm. The wall thickness on his are pretty thin. This thing bent in front and hit his new ohlins shock and bent the shock and then crushed the back side of the a-arm. The pics you have look like his. But for the price he paid you get what you pay for. Good luck.

CdaleXtreme
07-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Herrmann has some lightweight stuff that seems to work well when it works but they are not very well reinforced, I have seen alot of Herrmanns stuff break at the races. If an average mx Rider it shouldnt be a problem. But if you take a hard fall you may have to dig into your pockets for a new set of A-arms. I have heard they are good about fixing their stuff that breaks though. Give them a call and see what kinda of warranty they offer, if anything at all.

Out_Sider
07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
i'd go with Viper or JRD

atvmx14
07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
As far as strength goes at least their not ball joint a-arms!!

haydug
07-01-2004, 04:59 PM
I would take Houser or JB Racing anyday over Herman.

440ex kid
07-01-2004, 05:14 PM
I have herrmann +3 long travels on my 400ex. They are nice and they are pretty strong. I have crashed bad and they are straight as the day they came. The part on the bottom a-arm where the tubes come together is kind of a pain to clean if you get mud in there.

If I had to do it again I would go with houser. They are making new things like the needle bearings on the frame mounts and stuff. For another 75 bucks i would go houser.

gibson400ex
07-02-2004, 08:01 AM
we have used Herrmann on all of our bikes ( cannondale,400ex, and our 450r was what he based his products on for the 450r ).

They are Cheap and well worth the money.

EvilJester400EX
07-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
i'd go with Viper or JRD

Viper, woo woo! :macho lol.

Matt102
07-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Herrmann has very nice stuff. Go to www.douggust.com and go in the product review section. Also, if you go on their website there are many other links to reviews on the home page. And the guys at Herrmann racing are really nice and I'm pretty sure they'd fix you up if you busted something. Call him and see- 215-679-2410
Very nice stuff!

NacsRacing400
07-03-2004, 09:10 AM
herrmans a-arms arnt bad, ive had housers and i didnt like them as much so sometimes paying less doesnt mean you are getting less.

KYmxracer52
07-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I have Herrmann's on my Cannondale and love them. They work very well and I hit 85' doubles and tabletops and haven't had any problems what so ever. Some people say they have wrecked and broke them and all, but if you talk to others who have had Lonestar and Laeger or any other brand, they will tell you that they also break if you wreck hard. No matter what brand you have, if you wreck hard enough somethings going to give.Herrmann's share the same design as Roll Design and I haven't heard of anybody having trouble with Roll products. It's all in how you take care of your equipment.

TC426EX
07-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Ive heard the Herrmans are good quality arms, but given the choice Id take a set of JB Racing anyday. Jody Bateman knows whats up thats for sure...

sparky450AR
07-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Ive heard the Herrmans are good quality arms, but given the choice Id take a set of JB Racing anyday. Jody Bateman knows whats up thats for sure...

does JB have a site? I cant find one.

Pappy
07-03-2004, 10:14 PM
sometimes i start to try and figure out why i have so many friggon pictures:eek2: here is a kick *** set up from JB and PEP on a 450R

sparky450AR
07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
sometimes i start to try and figure out why i have so many friggon pictures:eek2: here is a kick *** set up from JB and PEP on a 450R

thanks pappy, from my view they look like a set of housers. I LOVE THOSE NERFS!!!!!!!! They are the DG propegs....correct?

Pappy
07-03-2004, 10:28 PM
im not certain, i took the picture on the run to the AM start at steel creek:p

i like the looks of them, they also use the stronger ball joints. powdercoating looks good and they should preform well.

sparky450AR
07-03-2004, 10:36 PM
im not certain, i took the picture on the run to the AM start at steel creek:p

i like the looks of them, they also use the stronger ball joints. powdercoating looks good and they should preform well.

Hey pappy BTW did you ever find out if you can powder coat the color kinda like taylor mades???

http://www.golfclubreview.com/golf%20clubs/rescues.jpg

I saw some suzuki motorcylce at the dealer that was that color and i almost fell to the floor.:p

Pappy
07-03-2004, 10:37 PM
it looks copper or bronze color to me:p i will see what i can dig up!

sparky450AR
07-03-2004, 10:39 PM
it looks copper or bronze color to me:p i will see what i can dig up!

Yeah, i dunno if it would be like a chrome basecoat or not??

Thanks!!!

400exBro
07-04-2004, 07:27 AM
what about metal craft a arms???
anyone know anything about those a arms??

i am trying to decided between Gibson, JB or metal craft LT a arms for the 450r...

Sorry i am off topic but i didn't want to start a new thread...

BTW i also heard of some problems with Hermmann products but this was the older style of a arms he might of changed it again... Some i race with here in Canada had nothing but trouble with the hermann setup... looks like good stuff tho...

sparky450AR
07-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
what about metal craft a arms???
anyone know anything about those a arms??

i am trying to decided between Gibson, JB or metal craft LT a arms for the 450r...

Sorry i am off topic but i didn't want to start a new thread...

BTW i also heard of some problems with Hermmann products but this was the older style of a arms he might of changed it again... Some i race with here in Canada had nothing but trouble with the hermann setup... looks like good stuff tho...

What kind of trouble were people having???

You were wondering about metal craft.....well im wondering about
Teixeira Techs racing a-arms. Look at this!! they look awesome!!

http://www.teixeiratech.com/images/Side%20YFZ.jpg

http://www.teixeiratech.com/default.asp

400exBro
07-05-2004, 03:17 PM
i am pretty sure that they are the older style of a arms, he just had problems with the a arm cracking, this was a while back....

those a arms are sweet, were did you find out about thoses?? they look similar to the Metal craft... what is the price??
are they making them for the TRX450r???

i want to know how strong they will be and if i would be able to run elka shocks?? what are the lengths etc...

thanks

team_450_88
07-05-2004, 07:41 PM
I heard metal crafts where good arms...I kno Kory Ellis was running there swingarm and arms at the beggining of the gnc season...I am bout to order some arms..I am thinking about herrmann right now and other ones like houser,burgard and jb ...them ones that are posted above look good 2 ..does anyone kno how much they cost and how they perform?

sparky450AR
07-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
i am pretty sure that they are the older style of a arms, he just had problems with the a arm cracking, this was a while back....

those a arms are sweet, were did you find out about thoses?? they look similar to the Metal craft... what is the price??
are they making them for the TRX450r???

i want to know how strong they will be and if i would be able to run elka shocks?? what are the lengths etc...

thanks

Hey man, those tech a-arms are awesome looking. I stumbled across them while searching for long travel set-ups. They must be a new company because ive never seen them. The way there long travel arms work is like laeger. the only thing i know about them is what is presented here... http://www.teixeiratech.com/default.asp