PDA

View Full Version : Some 416 kit questions

deathmetal
06-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, first time posting here. Wanted to ask some questions in regards to the 416 ex kit. There's many options obviously, I was wondering what kit you felt was the best? I can get a wiseco 416 bore kit for about 115 bucks, but the question is, is this the best choice? What kit would you recommend if not? Im also wanting to put a pipe, cam, etc on the bike. How would you recommend getting this set up? I was looking at the hot cam stage 2, but not really sure what the difference is in comparison to the stage 1. Is there a better cam out there, and if so, whats really the difference? I like the sound of the white brothers pipe so im probably gonna go ahead with that, it seems to be quite a good pipe anyhow. I was also looking into getting a bigger carb for the bike, but seen the price for a 39mm was about 459 bucks, kinda steep for a carb, any better ones out there or recommendations? In all seriousness, how much is this going to change the power and speed in comparison to a stock 400ex? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cals400ex
06-30-2004, 12:04 AM
most people just run the ross or je 416 kit. most people prefer the stage 2 hotcam over the stage 1. the stage 2 is more aggressive and will produce more power in the upper rpms. however, the stage 1 is better suited for low end power or trail riding. the hotcams are fine and are at a good price. many people run the higher priced TC or Sparks cams. is it worth the extra cost?? probably not if your just going to run around on the bike. if your extremely serious about racing, it may make a difference. i really don't know. many people also run web cams. however, i think you need hardened rockers with all or most of all these cams. all in all, a cam and piston will wake up your bike nicely. the gain on the carb was much smaller. if you tune in your stock one good, that should be fine. for a pipe, you hear good power gains out of sparks, lrd, hmf, etc. the white brothers do produce good power too, but many have problems with the e-series breaking. i don't hear of any problems with the R-4 though. these mods will definately make the bike feel much stronger. remember to tune the carb. that makes a difference. by the way, you can order your stuff from C&D. the prices are good and they are very helpful. the # is all over this site. good luck

deathmetal
06-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi Cals, thanks for the info. Here's kind of the situation im in. Right now i have the 400ex and i have a banshee tuned in nicely. The thing is, stock for stock the 400ex really doesnt do all that well against it, but im not expecting it to beat one. My buddies have predators, raptor, and so on, basically I just want to be able to hang with them very well, be able to climb some nice size hills, be able to do some racing with it, etc. We do a good bit of tight woods riding on weekends and the banshee is definetely not the bike for that, so the 400ex is going to get a lot more riding time. Im hoping that the mods will really wake up the 400ex, because stock its really underpowered. I really like the handling of the 400ex, and basically everything except the power, its gotta be much stronger. If the mods will do that, I'd be happy to pay a good amount to get it done. You say hardened rockers and such, what kind of price range are those in? Im willing to build this bike up a good bit, I love the honda!!