PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Clutch Basket - HELP ASAP!

Quadzilla
06-29-2004, 05:39 PM
All-

I'm mid-way thru installing a clutch basket. There is a massive 27mm not holding the basket and backing plate in. I have a monster breaker bar on it and it still won't come loose. I also just noticed that the bolt that the nut is on is keyed and part of the metal holding the nut on is smashed into the key-way. I can't seem to get it out. This sux. Any suggestions???

Carl Nevins
06-29-2004, 06:31 PM
take a screwdriver or little pry bar works better and pry the ring up then try, or just use an impact.

Quadzilla
06-29-2004, 07:51 PM
I guess that I'll just have to load it up and take it to a garage with an impact wrench cause that mudda f'er doesn't seem to be coming off with what I got. One of those things that REALLY piss you off!!! Sorry to b1tch, I'm sure that most of you have been there! :grr: :mad:

cals400ex
06-30-2004, 12:22 AM
i believe that nut is suppposed to be on at 80 ft/lbs. yes, you can either take something to pry that piece up or take a dremel or something similar and grind that nut down. however, don't grind down to the shaft. mine flew right off with an impact.

K_Fulk
06-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Just hit it with an impact. You need to get the tool to hold the baskets if you want to use a breaker bar.

UglyMotha™
06-30-2004, 08:55 AM
impact wrench http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

i always take a center punch and bend that tab out on the nut so i can reuse it :devil:

06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
impact wrench http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

i always take a center punch and bend that tab out on the nut so i can reuse it :devil:

Dam this ugly guy is kinda smart. I did mine the same way..:D

Quadzilla
06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
The tab was crushed fully into the shaft and there was no space to even get a thin screw driver in there. I tried to do it anyway and it just made it worse (drove the tab even further in). I'm going to take it to a garage tomorrow right by my house and hope that the impact wrench can get it off even with the tab still in. :confused:

Quad Dude
06-30-2004, 12:47 PM
well i hear where ur comming from had the same prob when i put timing chain in my 300 and it took me a while to figure this out but the nut on mine screwed on back wards so the right to tight and left to losen just didnt work for me so i tried doing it back wards and popped right off.and mine had that bent washer thing holding it in place too.

Quadzilla
06-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Holy Crap, so is Quad Dude right, is the threading the oposite of normal (reverse threaded)???

K_Fulk
06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Its not reversed thread on a 400.

foleyit
06-30-2004, 01:27 PM
The thread on that is normal not reversed. Definitely use an impact on that.

Quadzilla
06-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Whew, thanks guys. I was thinking that I was cranking the shizit out of it last night in the wrong direction and that I made matters worse. I spoke the the garage right by my house and they said it would not be a prob for me to bring it by and to use their impact wrench. I just need to somehow get over there before the weekend. I have a big weekend ride planned and am leading a group of riders on a tour of central PA trails (just north of Rausch Creek). These guys have never ridden there before and I have to show them the way so a lot of peeps are depending on me to be there. Hope this new clutch (GT Thunder 8 plate w new machined back plate) and clutch basket (PE - Performance Engineering billet basket) are as good as they say they are. I compared the PE basket to a Hinson and they look identical to me. Can't wait!

Quadzilla
07-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Well the impact wrench took the nut off in about 2 seconds flat! After that, started bolting everything back up and cranked on one of the bolts that holds the clutch springs too hard and SNAP, broke off inside the thread on the backing plate!!! I was like oooohhhhh pppphhhhhuuuuqqqquuuueeee!!!! So I drilled it and used an easy-out and the broken piece came out w/o damaging the threads, WHEW! I had a perfectly sized bolt and washer to go in the originals place. Just got done cleaning the cases (old gasket). Calling it a night, going to bolt the case on in the a.m. Any advice on putting the rod assembly back together? I think I got it figured out. rod goes down into clutch cover w oil seal and then a spring feeds up thru the bottom into hole in rod and on slot in case. In the motor side another rod with a nipple on the end feeds into the oil cover rod that has a keyway machined out to accept the rod going into the clutch on the motor side, correct??? Thanks again guys!

JDiablo
07-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
Well the impact wrench took the nut off in about 2 seconds flat! After that, started bolting everything back up and cranked on one of the bolts that holds the clutch springs too hard and SNAP, broke off inside the thread on the backing plate!!! I was like oooohhhhh pppphhhhhuuuuqqqquuuueeee!!!! So I drilled it and used an easy-out and the broken piece came out w/o damaging the threads, WHEW! I had a perfectly sized bolt and washer to go in the originals place. Just got done cleaning the cases (old gasket). Calling it a night, going to bolt the case on in the a.m. Any advice on putting the rod assembly back together? I think I got it figured out. rod goes down into clutch cover w oil seal and then a spring feeds up thru the bottom into hole in rod and on slot in case. In the motor side another rod with a nipple on the end feeds into the oil cover rod that has a keyway machined out to accept the rod going into the clutch on the motor side, correct??? Thanks again guys!

yes.....dont mess up the rod assembly,lol...and use the red locktite otherwise you will have some problems,and don't overtighten anything,it is always a ***** to fix

UglyMotha™
07-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
yes.....dont mess up the rod assembly,lol...and use the red locktite otherwise you will have some problems,and don't overtighten anything,it is always a ***** to fix

red loctite what the heck are you talking about :huh :confused: I seriously hope your not talking bout the clutch basket or side case bolts cause if so you can kiss all your threads goodbye next time you remove the bolt, the only place in the entire motor that your supposed to use any locktite is bolting the cam sprocket on, he's doing a clutch job, i dunno how he would have gotten up there you never put red loctite on aluminum :rolleyes:

Quadzilla
07-02-2004, 10:13 PM
I put blue (the weakest) locktite on the allen bolts that hold the clutch gear to the new billet basket. Aside from the, I used no locktite...