PDA

View Full Version : pivot bolt bearings

400exmom
06-29-2004, 03:08 PM
i got one side out but the other side the well whats left of the bearing has become one with the carrier case.. ive tried wrenchin lube ive torched it and beat it ALL FREAKIN day its not movin~ plus there is groves and rusty pits in the sleeve where the new bearings go in~ any tips~ im thinkin new swingarm but i wanna try to save this one..i havent rode in over 2 weeks:( :(

thanks for your tips in advance you guys always help me out of my panics

06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
3/4" socket long extension BIG HAMMER place the swing arm on it's side with the side you are trying to get out down. put something under that will let the bearing come out. do not use heat!!!!!!!! that will weeken the swing arm and is the cause of many broken swing-arms.

LTandRaptorider
06-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
3/4" socket long extension BIG HAMMER place the swing arm on it's side with the side you are trying to get out down. put something under that will let the bearing come out. do not use heat!!!!!!!! that will weeken the swing arm and is the cause of many broken swing-arms.

I don't think a propane torch will change the heat treating qualities on the swingarm, unless you use MAP gas. If the swingarm is off the quad, then do like GNCCer said, socket and extension... lots of patience ( which you have, right?!) cussing helps... first time I did my LT swingarm bearings, I had to use my dremel to get the rest of the bearing housing out... and still fugged it up. :( BTW... you want a socket with an outside diameter just a little smaller than the inside diameter of the bearing housing part of the swingarm... to make sure you get the bearing cage out. Use LOTS of WD-40. ;)

Xowner
06-30-2004, 09:24 AM
get a 18 mm i think thats the size and put it in their and get a vice and put it in there and turn it utill it moves might have to get a cheater bar but i have done mine like this