PDA

View Full Version : 400ex suspension questions-setup

SnotMe80
06-28-2004, 10:34 PM
i have been running a 300ex with raptor rear shock and 400ex front shocks. i have now bought a 400ex and need help adjusting the suspension. how do i do it? were can i find info about how to adjust it. i am about 130 ilbs and do lots of jumping and the thing is beating me up compared to my 300. any info is great. thanks
Rob

Aallron
06-29-2004, 12:54 AM
By beating you up do you mean that the suspension (F/R) is too stiff? If so the first thing you are going to have to do is check the race sag front and rear as is came from the factory. This is nothing more that measuring how far the suspension compresses with you with normal riding gear,1/2 tank of fuel, essentially ready to ride. This is a starting point. More sag means a softer spring, less a stiffer spring. I believe the rear sag should be some where between 90 and 110 mm... if I remember correctly. Front I am not sure.

With the preload set correctly, you adjust the spring rate (change springs) for sag and adjust the compression and rebound by changing the valving inside the shocks. It isn't cheap to do this but in the end you will be much happier with the handling of the quad. If you ghetto it and just crank up the preload you probably wont be able to get enough adjustment out of the rebound adjuster to slow down the swing arm and you will end up bouncing off the ground after landing.

In my opinon Race Tech is the best aftermarket manufactuer for suspension and here is a link specific to your bike. I noticed that the ideal rider weight for stock rear spring says 180lbs.

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=26&manufacture=Honda&model=TRX+400+EX&year=2004&TABLEINFO=dirt&langname=english