PDA

View Full Version : Another oil cooler question....

TC426EX
06-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I see in some posts about the FST kit and what not, but I really dont want to tap my head... I tried to run a search, but since "oil is 3 letters it wont do it. I basically would like to know if there is any way to fab up mounting 2 stock coolers (one right under the first one) and have the oil circulate through both of them in the same system. Im trying to run the same system as stock. I always thought that the oil cooler could have a few more "rows" in it, so hopefully I could work something out. I dont really feel like spending 350 on that desrttoyz setup and I think what I am talking about doing would accomplish the same thing. Anyone out there done this or heard about doing it?? I dont have a HUGE heat issue with my 426 but I do ride it hard and heat robs power so I want to keep my baby as cool as possible... Thanks in advance...

UglyMotha™
06-29-2004, 07:53 AM
well i can hit a couple of your questions you can do a search for oil* the * acts as a wild card

i have seen dual stock coolers on bikes before so this method would sound like what your wanting to do, so it is possible

as far as your motor running cooler, its not goin to make a bit of difference the fst cooler will do wonders just because of the fact that it taps into the head and is dumping cool oil dirrectly onto the cam preventing premature wear however heat does rob power but running cooler oil wont do you a bit of good just due to the fact that there is no way it can cool the cylinder itself no matter how cool you get the oil

in my oppinion bout the only thing a extra oil cooler is good for is keeping the oil from premature breakdown from heat unless you go with a fst setup then your cam will be benifiting

Quadzilla
06-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Funny you mention that Ugly because I was speaking to Laz at GT Thunder recently and he said almost the same exact thing. He said that the FST coolers do help a little, but not much. He said that even though the oil may be 40 degrees cooler, it does not do much for the overall motor temp (he said less than 5 degrees).

Bottom line is what Ugly said. It will help prevent wear on your cam and valve train, and may even prolong your oil life a little (less breakdown of oil due to heat), but does not do much for lowering the temp of your motor. It certainly cannot hurt anything, that's for sure. I only bought one because a guy who made these kits and sold them here and on Ebay (Jason Birklind or something like that), was selling off all of his stock for cheap because he was shutting down his little business. I got one of his kits for $80 delivered. Came complete with everything including instuctions printed in color. I prob would not spend the $125 that FST and others are asking for that setup. I'm told that some places are selling them for a little cheaper, but they don't come with a rock guard for the cooler and some other essentials. Heard the coolers may not be as good either. Again, these coolers don't hurt anything, just don't help quite as much as some have made them out to be...

UglyMotha™
06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
Funny you mention that Ugly because I was speaking to Laz at GT Thunder recently and he said almost the same exact thing.

I think my ego may have just doubled :o :macho

:blah:

hapychap
06-30-2004, 05:05 AM
:( Just a thought as I have also investigated going this route but luckily I have a mate who is a technician who pointed out something that makes alot of sense.

If you look at the side profile of the bike, if you install a bigger oil cooler or a second cooler, what you will see is that you will disturb/break the airflow over/past the barrel where you have the greatest heat buildup. The 'additional' cooling to the case and head is going to be insignificant compared to the dramatic increase of heat build up due to the lack of cooling air passing over the barrel as a result of the "wall" in front of it.

Although I have not found a solution yet, I am looking at ways on increasing airflow over the barrel itself as well as 'cleaning' the airflow past the barrel to help 'suck' out the heat. Aluminium airbox wich holds the battery will 'open' the air passage past the barrel to the rear.

There was also a rather clever idea of installing PC fans behind the cooler element although that opened up other questions. :confused:

I will look for the link and post it for you.

hapychap
06-30-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by hapychap
:( There was also a rather clever idea of installing PC fans behind the cooler element although that opened up other questions. :confused:

I will look for the link and post it for you.

:D http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103981 ;)

speedy400
06-30-2004, 02:58 PM
About the "wall of hot air infront of the motor", I mounted my 2nd cooler right behind my front bumper, so it's still dispirsing heat but at speeds over... I'd guess 10-15+mph, the air would be the same temp of the rest of the air before it hit the cooling fins. Right? just my 2 cents.-darren

240GNCC400
06-30-2004, 07:59 PM
if you really want to cut down on temperatures an extra oil cooler for the head is the best way to go. if you seriously dont want to tap the head go with an oversized oil cooler instead of a double stock cooler set up. fdo sells an oversized cooler thats pretty good. check out this site (hopefully the link works)

www.geocities.com/jj_rum/rummer_racing-sponsors-FDO

their oversized cooler and secondary cooler for the head have made a huge difference in engine temps and i would strongly recommend them.

TC426EX
06-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys, all this info has been helpful... I am still looking for other opinions if anyone else wants to post, now I just gotta decide what route to go...