PDA

View Full Version : Blue printing

440ex kid
06-28-2004, 05:03 PM
I read through a few magazines awhile back and they talked about something like blue printing the transmission. What exactly is done when they blue print the tranny? Also, what is the advantage or the reason for it being done? Is it only a tranny that can be blue printed?

TC426EX
06-28-2004, 05:49 PM
HHMMM havent heard of that on a carburated motor. I know you "blueprint" or "map" the motor on fuel injected motors like the Cannondales (ATK now), but never heard of it on the EX or anything else...

XCredrider
06-29-2004, 04:18 PM
I cant remember exactly what is done but my dad had it done on his go kart motors. It gives you a couple extra horses. I think you will be able to go to a kart site and it will probably tell you. Hope this helps.

Syrus
06-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Prolly ripped the governer off :P (SP)

quadmxracer
06-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Blue printing has to do with taking measurements. You do it like when you clay a piston to valve clearance (with clay) with the motor together and crank it by hand and then you take it back apart and check and like cut off a piece of the clay where your valves squashed it down and measure it to make sure you have the proper piston to valve clearance. Also you blue print with plasti-gauge its a thin material that you put between parts such as bearings and your crank to check for proper clearance. You do this by tighting every thing down to torque spec then tear it all down to check clearance. You will also to do it to check oil to bearing clearances and etc. Its a very time consuming project and you have to have a good deal of patience. It can eat up a good eight hours easy if you do the whole motor bottom to top. Hope this gives you insight to what blue printing a motor is like. If anyone else has anything to add please feel free. I wrote this pretty quick.

Clayton

440ex kid
06-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks alot for that. So its basically helps you put everything to exact clearances and specs to get the motor to run the best.

BIGBLOCKBILL
06-29-2004, 10:32 PM
In the automotive world "blueprinting" is 1 setting all clearences to an equal and exact spec, 2 matching all ports in size and alignment ,and 3 matching all ports to the same measurable flow. It takes more than just checking clearance,it take machining to achieve a "blueprinted assy".

wilkin250r
06-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Blueprinting a motor involves lots of things. Checking clearances, ports, yadda yadda. In a nutshell, you make everything inside the engine absolutely dead-nuts perfect. The crank is perfectly ballanced and true, the ports are all clear with no mis-matches that can cause tubulence, your piston clearances and squish-band are all perfected.

It basically involves going through the motor from top to bottom and making sure everything is PERFECT, and yes, it is very time-consuming. But in the end, you have maximized power and minimized losses due to vibration, friction, and mis-matches. All those imperfections rob you of power. By removing them, you get more power output.

UglyMotha™
06-30-2004, 01:30 PM
yup wilken pretty much summed it up, it's just payin somebody to go thru the entire motor and set everything at the tightest tolerances possible, making a virtually perfect motor