PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Chevrolet Silverado

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
ok i have a 1998 chevrolet silverado z71...the frontend of it is acting pretty weird....and i was wondering if any mechanics on this forum has seen anything like this or does anyone have the same model truck and doing the same exact thing

well here is the thing when u going down the highway about 60 mph and take a turn the front whee the steering wheel wants to jerk out of your hand...i dont know if this is from the frontend being missaligned because i know it is...but this guy that my mother knows said he has the same exact problem with his exact same model truck..and he said he has had it aligned and every thing but it still does it...

i wish some 1 could please tell me what it is so i can get it fixed before it puts me in a ditch upside down some where...because it surely is freaky goin down the highway at 60 mph and feeling like you dont have control of your vehicle....like i said it only does it while taking a turn above 35-45 mph...going any slower than that its ok...

so i figure there is got to be some mechanics on this forum that knows about this situation or some1 on this forum has the same model truck as me and its doing the same thing....

SSracingNY
06-28-2004, 04:23 PM
i got a 91 chevy and have some front end problems but id check all your tie rods and everything so make sure nothing is loose. i was droppin a friend off after riding 1 day and i was commin around a bend in the road and lost my steering. i was turnin the wheel like 4 times till it actually caught somewhat so i could get around the bend to pull in his driveway. but i guess theres a plate that ripped out on a (factory) bend in the frame. idk if that helps any but its what i know. im more of a guy that can fix some body work on em...

SSracingNY
06-28-2004, 04:25 PM
better yet go on www.mct.truckmoxie.com

its a chevy site like exriders and has forums and everything. make an account and ask some1 there

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 06:27 PM
i dont want to regiister and make an accout for something maybe an exr memeber thats a mechanic or has the same truck model with the same problems i do...if i get no good results here then ill try that site

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 06:30 PM
i dunno but ive def. got to get this fixed...now my service engine soon light is on AGAIN....one minute the damn light is on and then a day or so later the damn thing is off again....so i dont kno...i can get it hooked up to a computer for 65 bux...but that aint gonna tell me shyt about my steerig

chucked
06-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i dunno but ive def. got to get this fixed...now my service engine soon light is on AGAIN....one minute the damn light is on and then a day or so later the damn thing is off again....so i dont kno...i can get it hooked up to a computer for 65 bux...but that aint gonna tell me shyt about my steerig

damn 65 bucks? the computer only costs like 300 bucks im gonna start a business just checking peoples service engine lights.

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 06:58 PM
nooo its wayyy more expensive than that....its got codes in it for every make/model of vehicle out there on the road...

chucked
06-28-2004, 07:00 PM
nooo its wayyy more expensive than that....its got codes in it for every make/model of vehicle out there on the road...

ummm, ok? but i could have sworn theres one at my work and we are always using it to check engine codes, and yea i could have sworn the receipt was something around $300

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 07:02 PM
yea thats for the PERSONAL tuner....like a superchips micro computer that can also read computer codes as well...they are only designed to work with 1 vehicle...the industrial 1's are made to work with every vehicle...

chucked
06-28-2004, 07:06 PM
yea thats for the PERSONAL tuner....like a superchips micro computer that can also read computer codes as well...they are only designed to work with 1 vehicle...the industrial 1's are made to work with every vehicle...

actually now that i think about it, it came with ford, gm, and dodge software, to find more codes you will need to purchase the software and electrical adapter.

busch light
06-28-2004, 07:24 PM
autozone will check your ses code for free, They also sell the code reader there for about $150,

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 07:26 PM
thanks for that info that will really help me out alot...but im more concerned with the steering....i can reset the computer by taking off the battery ground wire for about 15 mins

RaptorRacrr04
06-28-2004, 07:57 PM
maybe the check engine light would go off if it could get its long awaited tune up(6 years) youve got the wires sumwhere, dist. cap and rotar button..and you jus need air filter and plugs....(im sure the stock ones aint designed to last 6 years..or 140k miles your truck has on it). and it would probably help if you didnt drive it like john force drives his drag car :D...my truck is 20 years old and runs and steers good...as for your steering..:confused:...just my .02

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 07:58 PM
i went and seached that site that dude posted above and i found this guy with a 97 that is having the same problem im having...its called the EVO or something like that....ill find it again...and post it....

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 08:15 PM
http://mct.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten-id-74946-X-413986-s-97_z71_steering_issues

his problems are the same exact symptoms as mine