PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Lid

pead_24
06-28-2004, 12:34 PM
When running my 400ex with the air box lid on the throttle response is crap so would it be a good idea to cut a hole in the lid. the hole would be around 3 by 4 inches or so. then somehow put some foam in the hole so dirt doesn't get by. would this help with throttle response or not??

400ex
HMF slip-on
K&N air filter
AC mudscreen bumper
maxxis razr's rear tires
pro-tech swinger skid

Pappy
06-28-2004, 12:36 PM
try jetting up a size or two when running no lid with a slip on exhaust....it might improve the problem just a tad;)

TC426EX
06-28-2004, 01:36 PM
If you wanna run no lid, call up NAC's and get one of the Outerwears airbox covers... It is a big outerwear like goes on the filters cut into the shape of the airbox. There is high adhesive velcro you put around the outside edge of the box and you put the outerwear right over the top of the airbox and fold the edges over. It gives the same performance as no airbox lid but still will give you a good amount of protection... They are like 19 bucks if im not mistaken. I use one and think its great! For 6 bucks you can also remove your snorkel and put an outerwear over the hole where the snorkel used to be. I use that as well and it helps out. There is no point in having an outerwear over your airbox as a lid if youre still sucking in dust from the snorkel. Plus, getting rid of that snorkel removes excess crap from under the seat and gives the quad a cleaner appearance when the seat is off. You might have to call outerwears to get one of those though... I did and they had it to me in 3 days.

Quadzilla
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I had one of those Outerwears velcro lids. It splits easily on the edges and then continues to tear, not good. Best to go with a EHS Racing lid (www.ehsracing.com). Trust me, they rock and are better than the reg Outerwears velcro lids!

http://www.ehsracing.com/products/images/400ex/400ex_lside.jpg

06-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
If you wanna run no lid, call up NAC's and get one of the Outerwears airbox covers... It is a big outerwear like goes on the filters cut into the shape of the airbox. There is high adhesive velcro you put around the outside edge of the box and you put the outerwear right over the top of the airbox and fold the edges over. It gives the same performance as no airbox lid but still will give you a good amount of protection... They are like 19 bucks if im not mistaken. I use one and think its great! For 6 bucks you can also remove your snorkel and put an outerwear over the hole where the snorkel used to be. I use that as well and it helps out. There is no point in having an outerwear over your airbox as a lid if youre still sucking in dust from the snorkel. Plus, getting rid of that snorkel removes excess crap from under the seat and gives the quad a cleaner appearance when the seat is off. You might have to call outerwears to get one of those though... I did and they had it to me in 3 days.

I tried that setup 2 times and taking it off road ate that lid for breakfast. Now It was fine for MX racing but other than that it was a problem and always falling off.

The GT thunder tube I have which will be 2 tubes soon..:devil: works great for trail riders that deal with water and mud..:cool:

You won't get as much air as the outwears type but it does help..:cool: I'll be installing a 2nd one this weekend..

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/images/airtube.jpg

Toadz400
06-28-2004, 07:25 PM
I took off my snorkel and put paper toweling over the hole...then I put the thing that keeps the snorkel tight on it and so far no dirt has gotten in through there...I was suprised, I even went on a riding trip in Northern Wisconsin where it was very wet in some spots and very dusty in others, held up great:huh .

Maybe I'll get a pic of it later...

pead_24
06-28-2004, 08:59 PM
well i do got a huge 170 main jet in there thats why it runs alot better with the lid off i guess i should drop down a few sizes????

TC426EX
06-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Get ahold of Rocky Mountain or C+D and see if you can get some air box vents by UNI. They are 6 in a pack of one inch vents that have removable foam on the inside. You just drill one ince holes in your airbox lid and they seriously pop right into place. I used these on my stock setup before building my motor and all that and it worked well with my slip on and K+N... Just another option if you want to still mostly use a lid...

400ex28
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
here is what you need http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/400ex/umairbox/images/pict0079.jpg

northeast400
06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
I say leave the lid on and rejet.

NacsMXer
06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
here is what you need http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/400ex/umairbox/images/pict0079.jpg
That looks sick! I need a custom outerwares for my aluminum airbox like that. Where did you find that one or did you make it because I still run the airbox lid from Outerwares that was designed for the stock lid so it only seals out the water and mud-dust still gets by because it can't fold around the edges. Any info on that would be great! Thanks