PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and prayers....

Foxyangel0425
06-28-2004, 05:42 AM
Hello. We are huge fans of NHRA Drag racing, and also a fellow racer. Sadly, one of the top fuel dragster drivers died in a fatal crash last night in St. Louis, MO. We wanted to send out our prayers and thoughts to his family. He was a great driver and will be missed by many fans and drivers.

As many of you are fellow drag racers, fans, racers of ATV's, dirt bikes etc., please join us in wishing his family/fellow drivers our prayers and thoughts in this tragic time.

Thank you.
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/frown_2.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6/27/04

Top Fuel driver Darrell Russell was fatally injured today as a result of a crash during race eliminations at an NHRA National Event at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell, 35, of Hockley, Texas, was competing in the second round of eliminations when his dragster went out of control and crashed just past the finish line. Russell was extracted from his dragster by NHRA emergency services officials and transported by air to the St. Louis Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Russell, driver of the dragster owned by NHRA legend Joe Amato, was the event's top qualifier and was coming off a victory recently in Columbus, Ohio. During his four year career he had earned six victories in 17 final rounds. He posted a career-best fourth place points finish in 2003 and was currently fourth in the Top Fuel points standings.

NHRA deeply regrets that this tragic accident occurred and sends its thoughts and sentiments out to the Russell family.

H0nDo
06-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I was there last night and saw it happen......I talked to track officials and a friend of mine that races and i know to much of what happened......everyone knows the risk, its just horrible when stuff like this happens......that will be a night i wont forget

stiffy
06-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Who was it? That's too bad. At least he died doin what he loved. I hope I go doin something I love.

Foxyangel0425
06-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by H0nDo
I was there last night and saw it happen......I talked to track officials and a friend of mine that races and i know to much of what happened......everyone knows the risk, its just horrible when stuff like this happens......that will be a night i wont forget

What in the world happened (to pm me)? What we can't figure out is he was wearing all safety gear--hans device, neck brace, helmet, gloves the works!! Also, he was alive when he pushed the button for his parashoot.

I just feel so bad for his wife and family...i am a racer's wife and I just imagine what she is going through. My heart goes out to them, he was a great racer and loved the sport.

400ex28
06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
:(

stiffy
06-28-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see the article I must have just thought it was your sig.

Foxyangel0425
06-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by stiffy
Who was it? That's too bad. At least he died doin what he loved. I hope I go doin something I love. !

He was a NHRA top fuel dragster driver, who loved the sport and loved what he did. You can check him out at http://www.nhra.com look under Darrell Russell Top Fuel dragster. or you can go to ESPN.com

Foxyangel0425
06-28-2004, 03:02 PM
NHRA really needs to do something--there are to many drivers getting seriously injured or dying in the case of Darrell. There is no need for these drivers to hit 300 mph. The sport can still be amazing and exciting w/out them going that fast!

fastblaster2002
06-28-2004, 03:08 PM
:( i dont meen to be mean or anything but...if thats how fast they wanna go..thats how fast they wanna go...he died doing what he loved

Foxyangel0425
06-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by fastblaster2002
:( i dont meen to be mean or anything but...if thats how fast they wanna go..thats how fast they wanna go...he died doing what he loved

Sorry...but that is a NHRA regulation that they can go at that speed. I few years ago they stopped it because of the many injuries and one death.

Quad18star
06-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Man that really sucks ... My thoughts and prayers are with the family . It's always hard when a member of the sport loses his or her life . I am part of a Drag Racing family , and we know the risks that are involved in the sport . Although drag racing is probably one of the safest sports out there , there is always the risk of injuries . He died doing something he loved and most racers out there would tell you , they would rather die doing soemthing they love than any other way .

Mr.Offroad
06-28-2004, 07:18 PM
That really bites, Foxyangel. I, too LOVE top fuel 1/4 mile racing. I guess most of the adrenelin rush of the sport,though, is the speed. And I don't think that at 300+ mph, there's any sure way to protect yourself. But that's part of the challenge for the driver, I guess. Gotta respect them guys that push those top fuel cars to those speeds. Our prayers go out his family and friends.

06-28-2004, 07:33 PM
how old was he:( :confused:

sly400ex
06-28-2004, 07:41 PM
35:(

H0nDo
06-28-2004, 11:08 PM
I dont think they should have a limit to how fast they go......The racers know the risk, and choose to take it to be the biggest, baddest and fastest out there......i think they might make them put some sort of safety shield on the roll cage that just the bars

Punk'd
06-28-2004, 11:42 PM
I live in St. Louis Mo I havent heard anything about it man.. Im sorry to hear that:(

Foxyangel0425
06-29-2004, 07:10 AM
NHRA - Darrell Russell Dies In Racing Accident
Written by: RACER staff
Madison, Ill. – 6/28/2004
Darrell Russell, 1968-2004 (NHRA photo)

Top Fuel driver Darrell Russell died Sunday as a result of a crash during race eliminations at an NHRA National event at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell, 35, of Hockley, Texas, was competing in the second round of eliminations when his dragster went out of control and crashed just past the finish line. Russell was extracted from his dragster by NHRA emergency services officials and transported by air to the St. Louis Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

Russell's car veered out of control just past the finish line, evidently shredding a tire after Russell activated his brake parachute. The car veered sideways and hit a concrete wall rear-end first. The NHRA safety crew quickly extinguished a small fire that erupted around the wreckage.

Dan Brickey, director of emergency medical services for the NHRA, told the Indianapolis Star that the driver's compartment was intact when the rescue team arrived. The workers cut away the roll cage, immobilized Russell's spine and then took off his helmet and the mandatory head-and-neck restraint device before loading him onto a backboard and taking him to the ambulance. Brickey said Russell was unconscious but breathing when he was taken by helicopter to St. Louis University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about two hours later.

Russell, driver of the dragster owned by NHRA legend Joe Amato, had been the Gateway event's top qualifier and was coming off a victory recently in Columbus, Ohio. During his four year career he had earned six victories in 17 final rounds. He posted a career-best fourth place points finish in 2003 and was fourth in the Top Fuel points standings.

Tommy 17
06-29-2004, 08:16 AM
i love drag racing... i hate to see a good driver die but as other have said atleast it was doing what he loved...

the other night at a local track they had the quick 16 cars... basically 8 fasest rails vs 8 fastest doors... they are FASTTTTT like 210 and low 7s... guy was running low 7s around 200 mph and hit his shoot... high cross wind made it tangle and there was no way he was stoppin... he tried to make the end turn at about 70 i bet:eek: car rolled over and smacked a wall... guy walked away from it luckily...

i can't wait till i can afford a car to start... i been watchin it since i was 3...

foxy what kinda car do u and ur hubby race???

Foxyangel0425
06-29-2004, 02:58 PM
foxy what kinda car do u and ur hubby race??? [/B][/QUOTE]

We have a 61 falcon (as you can see under my name). We just put a new hood scoop on it so cold air can get into the motor and we shortened the 9 in rear end, we went Thompson Drag Raceway this past sunday and we ran 12's! This is all street legal too--we hit our local car shows (cruise in's). I love drag racing but when he up at that starting line it scares the heck out of me...just like am sure all the wifes of these brave NHRA/IHRA drag racers. We were planning on making our 91 mustang into a all out drag car for me (which all we need is a tranny and motor)--5 point roll cage is already in it, for me but am kind of getting weary of that that

Its a shame that his life was cut short at such a young age...its scary to think that we are only a few years yonger than him.

Foxyangel0425
06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Joe Amato and family along with the Amato Race Team wishes to extend its most sincere and deepest condolences and prayers to Julie Russell and the entire Russell family on the untimely death of our driver and friend, Darrell Russell.

Russell, 35, of Hockley, Texas, was competing in the second round of eliminations at Gateway International Raceway when his dragster went out of control and crashed just past the finish line. Darrell was removed by NHRA emergency services and flown to St. Louis Medical Center where he later died from head injuries.

Darrell was a rising star in the sport -- not only was he the 2001 Rookie of the Year and fan favorite since day one, he was also the event's top qualifier and coming off a recent victory in Columbus, Ohio. During his four year career he had six wins and 17 final rounds. Darrell's positive attitude and infectious smile touched everyone around him. He loved the race and was loved by all who met him. Drag Racing has definitely lost one of its finest competitors.

We have received an overwhelming amount of support from Darrell's fans, friends and sponsors. He will be genuinely missed by the Joe Amato Racing Team and drag racing community.

A trust fund has been established for the Russell family. Donations may be sent to Darrell Russell Memorial Fund, Partners Bank of Texas, P.O. Box 60369, Houston, TX 77205.

Fans may also send condolences and rememberances to inmemoriam@amatoracing.com – thank you for joining us in paying tribute to our beloved friend.

MEMORIAL SERVICE INFORMATION

VIEWING

Thursday, July 1, 5-9 p.m.

Klein Funeral Home
1400 West Main
Tomball, TX 77375

FUNERAL SERVICE

Friday, July 2 , 11 a.m.

First Baptist Church
400 West Oxford Street
Tomball, TX 77371

HoNdAdude48
07-07-2004, 09:39 AM
nhra is doing somthing about it, they are suposedly going to put guards on the wing to prevent a blown tire from breaking it & causing extreme loss in down force.

its been a sad week in the entire racing world, i was very touched to see gary scelzi wear his shirt after he won the event.

here lately this seems to happen to much, i dont know if any of you knew him but there was a pretty famous racer in the nmra, nmca, nsca, and heads up racing community. his name was steve grebeck, well steve had a very fast turbo mustang & he was on like a 6.70 or so pass & blew out a tire at about the 60 ft mark, well, that sent the car across the track into the other lane on the 2 right wheels (he was in the right lane). the car in the other lane tried to stop & steer away. but he couldnt, steve's car was on 2 wheels like i said & the other car t-bond him on the chasis of the car, well theres really nothing there to protect him, he died on impact. ever since then ive been basically scared ****less to see any turbo car get side ways, turbo cars arnt like any other cars, when you let off the throttle they'll keep pulling, plus theyre also known for the throttle sticking. but my deepest condolences go out to the Russell family, he was a great man:(

Mxjunkie
07-07-2004, 09:47 AM
its allways hard loosing a great person, atleast he passed away doing what he loved :(