PDA

View Full Version : Axe Racing skid

spincr4hire
06-27-2004, 06:08 PM
My prm skid had seen better days...

spincr4hire
06-27-2004, 06:10 PM
the Axe Racing skid has foam strips to prevent vibration and decrease shock to the frame. They also come in blue, red, or black anodized, but I opted for the silver since my swingarm skid is also silver. for more info check out http://www.axeracing.com

spincr4hire
06-27-2004, 06:11 PM
mounting was a snap

(note...the big protruding bolt head sticking out is for my X-factor nerf bars, not hardware for the skid plate..long story:rolleyes: )

spincr4hire
06-27-2004, 06:11 PM
ready to roll...:cool:

Punk'd
06-28-2004, 05:29 AM
I am a big fan of your quad man! Its f*****g kick ace!

spincr4hire
06-28-2004, 07:10 AM
thanks man, wanna buy it? ;)

SHOCKER
06-28-2004, 08:37 AM
sick, how much did ya effin pay for that thing? i just looked on their website and it says $110, man and +30 for anodized colors, i thaught the blue anodized would look sick but not for $140 :( i think i saw them for like $80 somewhere, where did ya buy it?

spincr4hire
06-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I bought it thru axeracing.com
Its really beefy, a lot thicker than the old prm I had.

SHOCKER
06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
its nice but damn its expensive, i dont need something too beefy because im not going over roots and huge rocks, im mostly dunes and mx and i need a skid that will protect my chassis from little stuff, hmm what are you doing with your old PRM? i would love to get an axeracing one anodized blue that would look sick on my Z, i think i will just pick up an ac racing skid tomorrow at a local dealer for $79.99 good price

rich@axeracing.
07-06-2004, 06:58 AM
you get what you pay for !!!!!:macho

spincr4hire
07-06-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by rich@axeracing.

yeah, you'd be lucky to last one GNCC race with an AC skid.

Pappy
07-06-2004, 07:14 AM

ok, ill be the bad guy here:p

what makes your product better then the others currently on the market?

how does your skid compare to say, a PRM chassis skid?

other then the colors available and the strip of protective material what advancements has your company made to improve the durability over the competition?

rich@axeracing.
07-06-2004, 07:31 AM
first of all , im not bashing prm . but my products are beter , check out my frame rail protectors , 1 full inch . no more crushed rails . anti vibration foam . more coverage area,heaver duty brackets ,laser cut , cnc formed and top secret aluminum!!!!!!! just kiddin . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ask your boy g, what he will be runnin next year . :eek2: :macho .

Pappy
07-06-2004, 07:35 AM
sorry, didnt mean to sound like a prick, i just wanted to know. i have seen your products and i think they are good quality and all, i just wanted to hear it from you.

as far as the crushed frame rails...you wouldnt want to add a garuntee to that would you:cool:

rich@axeracing.
07-06-2004, 08:00 AM
i cant say that its not possable , anything (could )happen . but my products will give you a beter chance of not crushing. just like your powder coat could flake off if you bend the frame .anything could happen ........ i design and mfg these products to be the best. . i wanted something beter than what was out there currently . im not tryin to be the next ac , i just want to make a good product . im not the cheapest . but i ( and 100s) of other think think we make the best . . ever seen prm, ac or dg at the gncc? :rolleyes:

Pappy
07-06-2004, 08:08 AM
will you offer the skid with the area cut or notched so we can grease the a arms?

also, have you ever thought of adding a few extra drain holes so getting the rocks and debris out a touch easier?

another idea i cant seem to get thru the skid manufactures heads...why dont you guys have a hole to access the stem nut? bending stems is a common occurance and its a pain to remove the skid to get at the nut. i have to do all these modifactions to the skid before i install it, it sure would be nice for someone to design a product thats not only higher quality, but practical.

good luck to you, and if i need a new skid i'll try your unit out:)

rich@axeracing.
07-06-2004, 08:14 AM
i have a model with a extra hole to get rocks and mud out , the problem with to many holes is that it weekens the aluminum. and lets more mud in than it lets out . im currently testing a high flow skid . thanks

07-06-2004, 08:34 AM
PRM skids are the best i've ever run to this date. Yes they've gotten beat up but GNCC racing and especially the Rausch Creek race was the true test. They WILL last in racing conditions.

THe addition for a hole to get to the stem nut is the best idea ever. I"ve been thru 3 stems in the last year and halfway removing the skid to get to it sucks.

spincr4hire
07-06-2004, 08:49 AM
PRM makes a great product, I still run their Z-plate swingarm skid, its an awesome piece, but I think the Axe Racing belly skid is better vs. the PRM belly skid. I had a real problem with the PRM vibrating, very annoying.

And as far as taking the skid off, its not a bad idea to take it off and clean under your quad every once in a while...:D

ranger400ex
07-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I think I might get an AXE just to do some fatboy testing...If I can't trash it...it gets a ten in my book.

Spencer...one other thing to remember you had the middle line skid for PRM...they make three versions, dune, trail/RACE, and desert skid which is like mounting a stop sign to the bottom side of your quad... it is alot thicker than the one you ran.

The AXE look nice, and seem to be built well, I saw two of them at the trailer in front of us at Rausch...wasn't for sure if it was the owner, or a guy that was sponsored.

you make anything for Cdales? you wanna?

spincr4hire
07-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
Spencer...one other thing to remember you had the middle line skid for PRM...they make three versions, dune, trail/RACE, and desert skid which is like mounting a stop sign to the bottom side of your quad... it is alot thicker than the one you ran.

True, but regardless even the thicker PRM still doesn't have the anti-vibe foam

Doibugu2
07-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
True, but regardless even the thicker PRM still doesn't have the anti-vibe foam

I went and spent 3 bucks at the local auto store and got some foam. I think it was for windows or something. Jeffro had mentioned that in one of the threads.

Yea, PRM should ship with the foam, but it's an easy fix.

If you leave some gaps in the foam it will allow for dirt to be washed out. The foam I have is probably a good 1/4 thick when compressed by the bolts when installed. I actually had a hard time getting the bolts to bite because the foam was so thick.

See the pic below where I grayed out where the foam should be cut out so you can wash the dirt out.

SHOCKER
07-06-2004, 08:03 PM
i made some a-arms skids and glued foam to them so they wouldnt scratch or rattle, i was thinking of doing it to my alba skid which is great 1/4" thick but it doesnt rattly so no need to

07-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Maybe you guys shouldn't let your little sister tighten the bolts for you?? :D

My skid doesn't rattle at all once I get the bolts tightened up..:confused:

I tried in the past to put Truck Topper foam between the skid and frame, and it worked. For about 3 rides then the POS AC skid started rattling again...:mad: My PRM has been perfect so far..

spincr4hire
07-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Maybe you guys shouldn't let your little sister tighten the bolts for you?? :D

My skid doesn't rattle at all once I get the bolts tightened up..:confused:

I tried in the past to put Truck Topper foam between the skid and frame, and it worked. For about 3 rides then the POS AC skid started rattling again...:mad: My PRM has been perfect so far..

:o

I tried the weather-stripping foam myself, it does work for a while, until the adhesive gets good and wet. I usually take my skid off every time I change the oil, so it was a pain cutting new foam every time I did that.

rich@axeracing.
07-07-2004, 11:39 AM
i never called it crap . all i am saying is. that the foam that is one thing that makes ours beter. this post was started buy a very happy customer. who happens to like his axe skid a lot beter than his prm . i used to run prm skids and bumpers , i wouldnt call them junk . i just think axe is a step above .

Pappy
07-07-2004, 11:42 AM
i cleaned up the thread, i think there was some miscommunication present and i dont believe anyone meant any harm.

good luck to everyone involved:)

rich@axeracing.
07-07-2004, 11:48 AM
thanks pappy , if you ever need a skid let me know .
im sure we can work something out . mabey swap for some of your sweet metal flake powder coat . you know as well as i do , when you put so muchlove ,and hard work into something , you can tend to take things more personal .

SHOCKER
07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
:rolleyes: whatever, pappy cleaned up the post bit you said "go ahead and keep fixing your bad parts" i remember, and thats what set it off :huh

Pappy
07-07-2004, 11:54 AM
i know that too well:p

the forums are a great way to introduce new products to the market. they also open up a whole can of worms from praise to put downs, the good with the bad:p

but i do think the stem area should be addressed. changing out a stem on saturday night to race sunday is a snap without having to dick around with removing the skid plate.

as far as the foam strip. ive seen people use that and garden hose and even a trimmed bicycle inner tube. its not a new idea but a functional one and im glad you incorperated it into your line of skids.

good luck to you in the future, and just remeber, everyone starts somewhere!

Pappy
07-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SHOCKER
:rolleyes: whatever, pappy cleaned up the post bit you said "go ahead and keep fixing your bad parts" i remember, and thats what set it off :huh

you are correct. however i say lets give him the benefit of the doubt. he has a chance to show us how he will handle questions and concerns, lets not even have to worry about people that want to pick apart a product:p

Johnny_G
07-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKER

Let it go bro...yeah Rich popped off a little, but he said he was sorry, and is just trying to make it right so.....howsabout we all be big boys and move on:cool:

rich@axeracing.
07-07-2004, 12:10 PM
my only thought is , it maybe another hole to get something jammed into , at least for xc . im woking on a line of thin mx skids that im going to ad that hole for sure . thanks guys . im gonna test the stem hole on my bike to see how it works for xc

Pappy
07-07-2004, 12:15 PM
my only thought is , it maybe another hole to get something jammed into , at least for xc . im woking on a line of thin mx skids that im going to ad that hole for sure . thanks guys . im gonna test the stem hole on my bike to see how it works for xc

just for the info, ive been running with a hole in mine for 2 years on all the quads i own and have owned and havent had a single problem. i know Harlen runs his this way, because he is the one who taught me to do it! and he has raced his rear off for several years without any troubles at all.

i have the hole saw so for me its no further investment for me to mod my skids, but its a selling point that the others dont offer:)

Doibugu2
07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
thanks pappy , if you ever need a skid let me know .
im sure we can work something out . mabey swap for some of your sweet metal flake powder coat . you know as well as i do , when you put so muchlove ,and hard work into something , you can tend to take things more personal .

If I can give you a few words of advice. There are a lot of kids here and a lot of idiots too. Be very careful with what you say and how you say it. You never know how the other person is going to interperet what you said.

There is money to be made from this website because of the amount of people that visit.

SHOCKER
07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
ok alll is good, but why do you want to make the mx skid thinner? i kno because of wait and all, but i just got an alba skid 1/4" thick and the reason i got it is from riding at LEMX my sort of local m ytrack i race at, and i noticed last weekend that i had a bare part of my frame with rust, this from bottoming out, so i got the skid, my first race and it already has plenty of scrathces, its aluminum and it doesnt weight much at all, i think that cutting a skid down by half the weight wouldnt bake and much of a diference, just my thoughts though

rich@axeracing.
07-07-2004, 01:47 PM
im still going to make thick , but ive got requests from top mx-ers that want my stuff , but want it half as thick . 3lb / verse 6 lb
they tell me every 7 lbs you lose a hp ?

popo
07-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Rich,

I've been meaning to talk with you at the races but time never prevals. Are you able to make a custom size skid plate? I have an LRD Z400 frame with a Pro Tect skid, but it does not cover under the foot peg area, my lower foot peg frame rails are starting to get chunks taken out with them from Rash Creek and Wisp.

Hopefully I can meet up with you at the Penton to review it.

Thanks.

SHOCKER
07-08-2004, 09:20 AM
hey rich are you thinking of making swingarm skids? or maybe frame guards for the Z400? they got to look good though because i think the pro armor frame guards look like crap andi cant afford carbon fiber ones, oh and incase you cant make popo a custom skid my alba skid covers the foot pegs :)

rich@axeracing.
07-08-2004, 10:08 AM
rear skids are in the works now , should be in production soon . my z skid covers foot peg and would look sweet on your bike popo. matching blue ? or red so you could have the red and blue popo combo. :D :blah: ill bring some to the race .

rich@axeracing.
07-22-2004, 01:21 PM
i guess you wont be needing a skid now ? whats up with your frame?

300exOH
07-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Just a thought. Have you ever thought about using a harder eurethane rubber or even a plastic strip like the on the bottom of a skateboard insted of the softer foam rubber for between the frame and the skid plate?

rich@axeracing.
07-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Just a thought. Have you ever thought about using a harder eurethane rubber or even a plastic strip like the on the bottom of a skateboard insted of the softer foam rubber for between the frame and the skid plate? i dont think that would work as well ,and you would surely lose some ground clearance

popo
07-22-2004, 02:34 PM
i guess you wont be needing a skid now ? whats up with your frame?

LRD is still working on deciding to fix it or not. I gave them until Monday to make a up thier mind or cut me a fat check.

rich@axeracing.
07-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by popo
LRD is still working on deciding to fix it or not. I gave them until Monday to make a up thier mind or cut me a fat check. take the money and run
get a titainium frame . that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet