PDA

View Full Version : 39FCR givin me problems

quadmx7
06-27-2004, 04:11 PM
we put my 39mm fcr on my 426 friday night and noticed that the throttle cable was like 6 inches or so too long so when we hooked it up it went towards the front of the quad and then looped back to the carb. it seems a little stiff which i think the longer throttle cable is causing, could i be right? another thing is when i hit the gas and then let off of it, it takes it a second to idle back down, which coming into a turn could be a problem. could the cable be causing this? thanks

TC426EX
06-27-2004, 05:01 PM
I dont know, man, I also run a 39 fcr on my 426 and have no problems with it... I got my throttle cable from Sparks and it lined up nice without too much slack like you are describing. The throttle WILL be stiffer with that carb on just to let you know. There is an accelerator pump mod for that carb that will help with the bottom end stalling you are refering to. I have attached a link to another thread on this carb hope it helps... If not, PM me and Ill see what I can do to help you get it dialed in right.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=49845&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

quadmx7
06-27-2004, 05:15 PM
its not the bottem end stall im worried about, i can ride with that with no probelm, what i meant was its not slowing back down, the thrrotle is sticking wide open after i let off the gas. like if i need to clear a double using mid third and i came out of the corner pinned in 3rd and let of the gas to half throttle it would still be at full throttle even though my thumb is in the right position. but after a few seconds it will come back down to where it needs to be. and im not worried about the thorrlte being stiffer its not too bad but i think i will order a new cable from sparks. thanks man

TC426EX
06-27-2004, 05:20 PM
What you are describing about the throttle sticking definitely sounds related to the super long cable you are running to me. There must be a point where it is getting pinched or not moving freely back and forth inside the rubber. The sparks cable should definitely help, make sure you tell them your difficulties too though and see what they say...

terko440
06-27-2004, 05:43 PM
yfz 450 throttle cable, problem solved.

K_Fulk
06-27-2004, 05:49 PM
My cable is pretty long too, but i'm noy having any of the problems you are having. Sounds more like an adjustment problem.

If you get a new cable the yfz cable would be the easiest to get. Probly in stock at most dealers.

Sc0
06-27-2004, 07:34 PM
TRX450R cable is also rumored to fit well.
(or at least with the FCR40)

quadmx7
06-27-2004, 07:55 PM
aight thanks for the help guys. im going to call baldwin tomorrow cuz thats who did all my engine work and i like them and see what they think is the problem and if they think its related to the long cable ( i think it is) than i will check and see if any of the dealers around here have a yfz450 cable in stock.

TC426EX
06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Good idea man, Baldwin is the MAN!! Hes close to where Im at in OH, so I go to his shop all the time for stuff I need. He'll be servicing my shocks after 4th of july. (ONE WEEK turnaround!!! I NEVER thought I'd hear that from PEP!!)

quadmx7
06-27-2004, 08:48 PM
yeah baldwin is the man, my motor he built is sick. lookin at your sig we pretty much have the same engine set up except i dont have the lightned fly wheel or port matched carb boot, does that help much and it is worth the money?

3x440ex
06-28-2004, 05:05 AM
I got the same cable as you for my FCR 39MM from C&D and had the exact same problem.....the cable was sticking or hanging up alittle.......here's the problem.....you know that spring indide the throtlle cable box? It's pinched a little from where you tighted that bolt down....just loosen that bolt a little and move the spring then retighten.....i thought the same thing about my cable being too long but this is what fixed it.....also when you reroute the cable, don't route it with the other cables that run up next to the steering stem, just let it go on out. the plastic covers it and you never even know it's too long.

TORO1968
06-28-2004, 03:09 PM
I had this exact same problem when I installed my FCR 39mm, and found out that the problem was simply that the cable was adjusted too tight. By allowing some more slack at either the carb or throttle housing end, the throttle could then close properly. With it too tight, I had to snap the throttle a couple of times to get it to close all the way, and this didn't work all of the time.

As soon as I allowed there to be some play in the cable, all was well! :D And the thing that's nice about the FCR is that the thumb lever travel is shorter than with the stock carb, so its not like all of the slack needs to be taken out to get the throttle to open 100%

BTW, I agree that the YFZ cable is the way to go...perfect fit and not one problem since installing it. :)

-Jordan

quadmx7
06-28-2004, 06:54 PM
well i talked to mark baldwin today and explained to him my problem and he said that it most defiantly was the cable and if i orderd the right one for it i shouldnt have any trouble. so for $26 i ordered the real cabel for the FCR and it should be here wednsday. hopefully thats it, if not i'll re adjust the slack in the cable or that srping. thanks again.

quadmx7
07-02-2004, 05:51 PM
i got my new throttle cable on today and it solved the problem. but when the quad is just sitting there and i rev the engine a lil it has a like a bog in it but when im ridding its not that noticble unless i hammer down on it in 3rd soming out of a corner with no clutch. if i dump the clutch its not noticble. do i need to change the jetting?

cals400ex
07-03-2004, 01:09 AM
more than likely the problem lies in the long squirt of the accel. pump. however, you can try to diminish this by getting an adjustable fuel screw and tune it in good.