PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket?

starky
06-27-2004, 03:19 PM
What Head gasket should i get for my 440 kit with 12.5\1 piston. it blew out on me...

TC426EX
06-27-2004, 04:34 PM
You should go Cometic... The gasket you will need is an 89mm head gasket for that bore. I just redid my whole motor after breaking my shift shaft and was impressed with the cometic product... It is a triple layer steel gasket and it crushed in there beautifully. You can get them through wiseco or basically anyone... Tudors Performance makes some good gaskets as well, that's what I used to run, but I would say go cometic.... They are easy to find, and work great!! Also, if you have not invested in a set of heavy duty head studs, or Heli-coiled yours, you are doomed to blow another gasket... Take the extra time and take care of the studs while you have it apart you will thank yourself later... Anything over 11.5 compression on the EX motor makes it blow head gaskets left and right. Everyone experiences it, and there is no way around it besides hooking your head studs up.... Good luck with the top end...

starky
06-27-2004, 09:21 PM
my studs are helicoiled already, but where exactly can i order the gasket from, i have been looking all over and only see top end kits for a 400ex. Just wondering exact place to call or go online and order.

TC426EX
06-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Nacs has them, so does Baldwin... I would call Baldwin first, Im sure he has them in stock. He should be able to sell you just the head gasket. I bout just the head gasket from him for my 426 the LAST time I blew it before I had to tear my motor down to fix that shift shaft...

Baldwin Motorsports...

(440) 224-2734

www.baldwinmotorsports.com (http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com)

starky
06-28-2004, 12:04 AM
hey man, thanks a lot. I appreciate good helpers. Later.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
06-28-2004, 08:53 AM
We have the cometic steel flex gaskets if you don't have any luck finding any.

ExRacer02
06-28-2004, 10:56 AM
I put a XR-400 head gasket on my bike and just replace the head studs cause they streach.(its also very important to get them torqued down perfect) if I ever have to tear the motor down. This gasket is a little bit thinner than stock and will raise the compression a little bit. My bike is a 416 with a JE 12:1 piston I dont run anything less than 110 octane in it but I have never blew a head gasket and havent had any other problems with the motor.

UglyMotha™
06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
yah and your only running a 416 the 440 is in the ballpark next door compared to yours, the 440's are natorious for blowing head gaskets seems like no matter what and just replacing the head studs with new ones won't do jack because the 440 kits usally just pulls the stud right out of the cases that is whay it's best to go with oversized studs :o

TC426EX
06-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
[B the 440 kits usally just pulls the stud right out of the cases that is whay it's best to go with oversized studs :o [/B]

Yeah I agree, seem many friends with this problem. The studs get pulled right up out of the case and get extremely stretched out...

starky
06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
So when i put hte new gasket on i will have to pull hte cylinder to check the suds or should i notice as soon as i pull the head off. My studs are helicoiled.?????

TC426EX
06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
You should be cool starky...

ZSK
07-25-2004, 02:20 PM
Bringing this one back up because it is happening to me. Blew the first gasket out on sunday a week later the second went. Can I get the oversized studs sent to me and have a local shop do the machining? I don't want to send my engine out. Where can I get the studs? BTW this is with a 440 ross at 11.2:1

TC426EX
07-25-2004, 06:01 PM
I take that back about suggesting cometic to you... I just put one in 2 weeks ago and its blown on the left side now... Cometic sucks. You want to make sure that the gasket you get has a metal ring on the inside circumference and not just a 3 layer steel gasket. I have heavy duty head studs and everything and dont usually blow head gaskets, but this one blew out in 2 weeks. I dont reccomend cometic to anyone... The best gaskets I have ever used are the "no blow" head gaskets by Tudors Performance... I should have gotten them last time but went with this cometic crap out of necessity and convenience. Never again...