PDA

View Full Version : Rekluse Auto Clutch

Pappy
06-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Well, the first ride is in the books with this unit installed on my 450R. And the first ride wasnt around the house, it was spent riding 2 hours and 15 minutes at the Wisp GNCC race!

The company overnighted me a unit and friday evening John from the Quadshop got busy on installing it. Installation wasnt difficult and the directions were very easily understood. If you can change a clutch then installing this unit shouldnt pose any troubles for the average person to install.

The unit replaces the steel plates in the clutch, along with a few billet components that do away with the outer clutch basket and pressure plate. 15 steel and titanium balls work to turn the factory clutch into a clutch less 5 speed.

The only special tools needed were a grinder to remove a small casting inside the clutch cover, 2 sets of feeler gauges to check spacing, an inch pounds torque wrench and a black sharpie marker. Complete assembly took an experienced mechanic 35 minutes.

A new adjuster is mounted on the stock clutch perch and is used to dial in the engagement of the clutch. 2 springs are included, a lighter one for XC or trails where a slower stall speed is needed, and a stiffer spring for MX or more aggressive riding that uses a higher stall speed.

Setting the clutch up wasnt difficult and took about 10 minutes to get it set up. I watched as John would make a slight adjustment and then take a short ride. Before i knew it, there sat my 450R at idle...in first gear! John, from a stand still on pavement, applied full throttle and the R pulled the wheels about 4 inches off the ground and rabidly accelerated! The claimed feathering worked like a champ!

Pappy
06-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Finally it was my turn to try this system out. It was actually fun riding thru the pit area in 2nd gear, stopping and then starting again without touching anything except the brake and the gas. People would do a double take when they realized what they had just seen!

My first real ride came saturday morning, and it just happened to be the start of the race! I watched as the previous classes spun wildly in the wet grass of the Wisp's finely landscaped greens. When it was my classes turn, I stood with my foot firmly on the kick start lever...waiting to get the green flag. As the flag was raised, my R fired to life and I was under power immediately! I backed off a tad on the gas as I shifted thru 3rd gear and pulled solidly to the front challenging for the holeshot! As we climbed a long ski slope, I couldnt believe how smooth the unit felt as I shifted under full throttle! By the time we hit the woods I had been in 5th gear pinned for some time and I suddenly realized I had started the race, gone the first mile and a half and hadnt touched my clutch lever! In the woods the automatic shifting became second nature, and I could easily ride a gear higher or pull out of a turn under full throttle and not worry about anything besides braking and steering. The unit works as claimed!

I did stall the quad once during 2 hours of competition. I believe however it was a combination of a very sudden throttle chop at the exact same time I connected with a rock wall the size of Cleveland! Other then that, it never failed me. I have no doubt that I would have stalled no less then a 20 times during this race if I was using a standard clutch. Infact, I chuckled to myself several times as I sat behind riders who would stall repeatedly thru some of the nastyiest rocks i've ever seen!

Pappy
06-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Did this unit make me faster?

I'd say it did in the woods for certain. I know it allowed me to finish my first GNCC race, heck I was ready for another lap!

Does the unit work?

Once again, I'd say it does everything the company claims it will.

How does it feel?

Well, it feels like a clutchless 5 speed. However with the 450R having a smooth shift this unit shifts better then any auto clutch I have riden with.

Who needs this?

That I can't help you with. I know I will be having fun learning to ride with this unit and seeing how it lasts. I was told to expect 1 extra clutch change a year with this unit so increased wear shouldnt be of any concern.

Pappy
06-27-2004, 09:19 AM
One last thing, we added a twist throttle to this quad friday evening also...so without ever really riding a twist, I was able to ride the race if thats any indication of how well this unit works to prevent stalling!

Hammer trx450r
06-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks pappy and how much did it set you back?

Pappy
06-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Retail on this unit is $499 but I think C&D can make it a bit sweeter deal. Ive yet to try any jumps with it....i'm more concerned about using and jumping with a twist then the auto clutch:p

Hammer trx450r
06-27-2004, 12:20 PM
yeah the twist is alittle to get used to in the whoops and landing crooked:eek2:

06-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Hey Pappy! That sounds like a good product there. But I have a question. Can I still use my clutch if I want to? There's just somethings I would want to use my clutch on. Well appreciate the help. Thanks Pappy.

theTman
06-27-2004, 12:47 PM
where did ya get it from pappy?

Tommy 17
06-27-2004, 12:57 PM
pappy can u start it in gear???? just hit down on the kicker and go?

Pappy
06-27-2004, 01:00 PM
the clutch in my opinion isnt needed after the rekluse is installed. I dont think i touched it in 2 hours of XC racing!

Yes the quad can be started in any gear. At the start, a half a kick had the quad fired and underway!

This unit was supplied to me direct from Rekluse but is available from thier dealers. I know C&D is a dealer so that might be the fastest route..cheapest also.

glenfoto
06-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm reading between the lines here.... did you get it for free!?!!?!!

WOOOT!

Glen

Pappy
06-27-2004, 03:04 PM
I didnt recieve the unit for free, however I did recieve it at a disount in order to try it out. From the seat time I have on it so far, I'd probably pay retail to have one. For me it will be very beneficial.

86atc250r
06-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Shipley
Hey Pappy! That sounds like a good product there. But I have a question. Can I still use my clutch if I want to? There's just somethings I would want to use my clutch on. Well appreciate the help. Thanks Pappy.

Yes, you can still use your manual clutch- this was a very important factor for me as well

However, as Pappy said, this clutch works well enough that you'll find that you don't use the manual override much if any. That really surprised me, I figured I'd use the override quite a bit & I almost never use it.

I've had my Rekluse since February - it's performed great & I really enjoy it --- and mine's not even a woods quad.

glenfoto
06-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I didnt recieve the unit for free, however I did recieve it at a disount in order to try it out. From the seat time I have on it so far, I'd probably pay retail to have one. For me it will be very beneficial.

Right on Pappy. I trust your posts and your opinion... I may check one out.

Glen

Pappy
06-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by glenfoto
Right on Pappy. I trust your posts and your opinion... I may check one out.

Glen

id try and ride a quad with one installed if at all possible.

also, maybe gabe can shine some light on his opinions of this set up along with his likes and dislikes. his posts in the past are the entire reason i went for one of these units!

TDBRPH
06-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

However, as Pappy said, this clutch works well enough that you'll find that you don't use the manual override much if any. That really surprised me, I figured I'd use the override quite a bit & I almost never use it.

I actually just got a call last week from Rekluse that they have setup available without the perch adjuster for the YFZ it just has the external adjuster. After reading reviews from Bike riders I am amazed at how many never use the magic lever anymore and wished they would have saved nearly a hundred bucks and went without the perch adjuster.

On another note Pappy what are your thoughts on the twister I have often contemplated switching as well. Never have been to a GNCC before I would be curious to see the percentage of twisters versus thumbers.

Triston

Pappy
06-27-2004, 07:57 PM
the twist worked well for me...even tho it was the first time i ever really rode with one. its not that bad too get used to.

300exOH
06-27-2004, 08:21 PM
The more I hear about it the more I like the idea. If they develope one for the 300ex I'm there. The auto clutch kit would seriously simplify the reverse procedure on the 300. My wife and my son could ride it then and I could pick up something else for me.:devil:
The clutch lever didn't feel like it would do much after the rekluse kit though. You could almost remove it completely :eek2:

thump4863
06-28-2004, 07:07 AM
a lot of bike riders take the clutch off completly and put the rear brake in its place and make it like a mountain bike on steroids:blah:

Sprks450r04
07-02-2004, 08:20 PM
what about neutral????? when you go from first to second?

Hammer trx450r
07-02-2004, 10:30 PM
what about it?

Pappy
07-03-2004, 04:41 PM
i havent had any trouble shifting at all from 1st to second, or vice versa.

i took it to a mx track today and it preformed fine, i do need a little more seat time with it as i was entering corners to hot:eek2: can you say over the berm:p

Pappy
07-03-2004, 08:40 PM
after some thought about todays mx adventure, i can say i liked it almost as much on mx as i do for xc riding. i never felt like i needed the clutch when approaching anything except slowing down for a turn. the clutch feathered perfectly for me out of turns and on the face of jumps. i even went slamming thru the whoop section and didnt get myself killed:p

im thinking the entering of turns and corners will become natural with more time hitting them. i also noticed i could shift alot faster with this unit as opposed to using the clutch.

so far so good:p

WOracing
07-03-2004, 08:41 PM
i havent had any trouble shifting at all from 1st to second, or vice versa.

i took it to a mx track today and it preformed fine, i do need a little more seat time with it as i was entering corners to hot:eek2: can you say over the berm:p

yes:mad: unfortuantly i almost smacked a tree doing that

TDBRPH
07-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Pappy,

Still running the twister? If so how was it on the MX track?

Pappy
07-03-2004, 09:11 PM
well, at the wisp race i knew i wasnt going fast in the woods at all. i mean i just knew i was ..well scared of that thing:p it did help with reduced arm fatigue but hell, if i cant go fast then whats the point:p

today i made a loop on the XC course at my local track. i know this course and im not afraid to open it up. well i damn near jackazzd myself a dozen times before i went 3 miles:grr: i pulled back in the pits and re installed the thumb throttle and went back at....

i geuss if you have no problem riding a motorcycle then the twist wont be that big fo a deal. i cant ride a dirt bike to save my life so i never developed the skills needed to operate the twist. it was worth a try:p

as far as the mx track....lets say this. i hit the track and go to 3rd gear...i hit the first turn and over the berm i went:eek:

86atc250r
07-04-2004, 01:07 AM
I started my career on dirtbikes and like a twist just fine.......... On a bike.

The ergos and movements on a quad are just not right for a twist - that's why no ATV comes from the factory with a twist. Same goes for personal watercraft and sleds, which also do not come with twists.

Some people claim to like twists on ATVs -- but then again, some guys prefer men to women too... :eek:

Triston - seek the Honda thumb throttle - it's supposed to be the fix for the thumb cramping device installed on the YFZ where the throttle is supposed to be.

JWhite
07-04-2004, 07:37 AM
I started my career on dirtbikes and like a twist just fine.......... On a bike.

The ergos and movements on a quad are just not right for a twist - that's why no ATV comes from the factory with a twist. Same goes for personal watercraft and sleds, which also do not come with twists.

Some people claim to like twists on ATVs -- but then again, some guys prefer men to women too... :eek:

Triston - seek the Honda thumb throttle - it's supposed to be the fix for the thumb cramping device installed on the YFZ where the throttle is supposed to be.

This is true. On trikes the twist used to work well and was much better IMO, but on quads...It's just not the same. One wheel up front and you're golden...2 and you gotta have a thumb.

I happen to really like grabbing a thumbful of throttle and yanking that power out of that motor using the clutch at the perfect moment. In this way having a clutch is a clear advantage in some cases. I can see where the auto-clutch would be really neat in some situations as well. The clutch though, is the best way to harness that power and release as much as you want when you want IMO.

I'd have to ride one first. I would really like to try one. I'm just a little concerened about entering corners. I wonder how it shifts while airborne too.

Finally, is this auto-clutch tunable?

Pappy
07-04-2004, 08:22 AM
i shifted several times in the air yesterday, and had no probelms. ofcourse im not 15 feet up over a 90 footer :p but id did shift from 3rd to 4th several times as i cleared a tabletop.

the twist id have to agree with, however some folks have the ability to ride a quad at insane speed and with extreme control so again, its what you are able to do with it.

as far as tuning this unit. i havent had to make any changes thus far, but i believe you can, i'm just not sure to what extent.

Hammer trx450r
07-04-2004, 09:33 AM
pappy do u lose any engine braking when coming out of the throttle?

Hammer trx450r
07-04-2004, 09:36 AM
and how does it react when you come out of a corner in too low a gear without feathering the clutch? Does it feather the clutch in that way?

Pappy
07-04-2004, 10:01 AM
you only lose engine braking when the rpm level drops below the stall speed. the way John set mine up its pretty low for woods riding. i have only noticed a few times when its basically freewheeled and that was decending steep hills. a small blip of the gas brings the rpm back up and engine braking is there.

i have pulled out of everything from just about every gear now and its done fine. at my locak track, there is a straight with a right hand turn. i could usually downshift to 4th and as i came out of the turn feather the clutch a tad to keep the rev's up, now i just hammer the gas and she pulls clean to the rev limiter

86atc250r
07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Tuneability -- Yes, the clutch is very tuneable. You use a spring to adjust the engagement rate. There is a handlebar adjuster that allows you to adjust the stall speed on the fly - it actually works and gives you pretty broad control of the stall speed.

I happen to really like grabbing a thumbful of throttle and yanking that power out of that motor using the clutch at the perfect moment.

You can still do this if you like because of the manual override --- however, after riding one of these you'll find you can use the consistant feathering of the clutch to your advantage & if you're like me, you'll end up using the manual override FAR less than you ever expected.

Shifting in the air --- unaffected. This is not a utility quad style setup. I never use the manual clutch when shifing in the air anyways.

Compression braking -- As Pappy said compression braking is unaffected as long as you don't drop below the stall speed. Usually the only way it disengages is if you hit the rear brakes and lock the tires. If you do, it will quickly become 2nd nature to blip the throttle to re-engage the clutch. At least it was for me anyway.

Feathering coming out of a corner -- if you come into a corner in a gear too tall, the clutch will ride up to the stall speed and feather until the engine can build enough power to pull out of it. The beauty here is unlike a normal manual clutch, it will not chug and stall if you don't grab the clutch quickly enough.

Entering corners - this is also where the clutch shines. It compeletely removes all your focus from clutch work. You still have compression braking so the quad reacts naturally as you back off the throttle - however, if you want to hammer the brakes and slide the rear around you can - you can also jump on the throttle immediately anytime you like without any fancy clutch work. The quad will come out the same every time.

It also makes feathering the throttle while on the front brakes a breeze.

You'll find that you can corner much more smoothly and consitantly because of the consistant action of the clutch feathering as opposed to doing it manually.

One maneuver that will really illustrate the effectiveness of the clutch is the brake slide 180° turn and exit into a wheelie - with the clutches consistant operation this move becomes child's play where it's somewhat difficult to execute smoothly, normally.

Those of you sitting on the fence --- if you're like me and a bit skeptical of the whole auto clutch thing, keep in mind that with this setup you still have a manual override to comfort you, and unlike some of the other products, no permanent modifications are made - you could go back to the stock clutch in 30 min.

I can't personally see any disadvantages to this setup except it will set you back about as much as a pipe (really makes you wonder about what they charge for pipes).

Pappy
07-04-2004, 11:19 AM
gabe is 100% correct in his assesments. at wisp, i was purposly locking the rear brakes and then gassing it out of corners. the unit works as stated!

im not a great mechanic by any means, i geuss thats one reason these companies pick on me because i am the average joe rider. if i cant screw it up you shouldnt have any problems at all:p

one issue tho, the manual override feature is weird to me. i cant see a use for it but as stated, im no expert.

Pappy
07-04-2004, 11:23 AM
and one more thing, 4th and 5th gear wheelies are a breeze:devil:

07-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Hey guys. I have one quick ques. ? Does everything come with the clutch that I need even if I order it from rekluse or rocky mountain? Rocky mountain has it for 399 and rekluse has it for 499. thats a 100 dollar price difference. yall keep me updated. I'm seriously considering getting one. lata homeslice

Pappy
07-05-2004, 07:18 AM
the kit comes with everything you need parts wise, however, you will need a few items for the installation as i mentioned in the opening posts.

installation isnt hard and the directions were easily followed. an extra set of hands is very helpfull also!

TDBRPH
07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
I believe the Rocky Mountain price is wrong that is the price without the external perch adjuster. I had called Rekluse and was told that was only available for bike applications but they had a quad setup in testing. Almost two weeks ago they called and said it was availabe without the perch adjuster. I was really impressed that they actually called me back I am used to so many places that have poor or absolutely no customer service to speak of. I guess a lot of these shops have so many orders that they can treat people like cattle. Another exception was Baldwin I called and he treated me with professionalism despite the phone ringing off the hook.

Triston

Shawn H
07-05-2004, 09:11 PM
I just talked with Greg at Rekluse on Thursday and he said he has the kit with the adjsuter on the perch.

TDBRPH
07-06-2004, 06:36 PM
my point was I dont want the perch adjuster especially for $100 when everyone is saying they rarely use the overide anyway. I figure I could put that $100 to better use with some other mods.

keep us posted if you decide to pick one up. I plan on getting one for my 30th b-day present to myself ;)

Triston

Pappy
07-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by TDBRPH
my point was I dont want the perch adjuster especially for $100 when everyone is saying they rarely use the overide anyway. I figure I could put that $100 to better use with some other mods.

Triston

id say you would be safe going that route

07-06-2004, 10:40 PM
man i am loving the idea more and more, but i've still got some doubt. if i get the auto clutch can i perform a wheelie from standstill if i punch the gas? also how does it perform in the woods? thanks yall lata

86atc250r
07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
The beauty of the perch adjuster is the ease with which you can adjust your stall speed.

I'm constantly tweaking the stall speed to fit my riding for the day & it only takes a moment- I don't even have to shut the quad off.

In my opinion, especially when you compare the cost of this clutch with the costs of other similar clutches - or heck, even a pipe - the $100 is a small price to pay for such easy adjustability & the convenience of manual override if you ever desire it.

86atc250r
07-06-2004, 10:52 PM
if i get the auto clutch can i perform a wheelie from standstill if i punch the gas?

Absolutely - you can turn the quad upside down if you like.

However, you can also adjust the clutch to where it will not pull a wheelie from a standing start - that's helpful when making timed tuning runs for consistancy.

also how does it perform in the woods?

While it works great for many applications, the woods is probably one of the best applications for it.

07-06-2004, 11:05 PM
hey man i really appreciate the the help and the info. it helps me out alot on making a decision. yall just keep the info coming. i'm sorry for all the questions but i do have one more for right now. so here it goes. so if i get the clutch will it perform about the same as a utility quads auto clutch does? the reason i'm asking is that i've only owned utility quads and the thought of a clutch kinda scares me especially were i ride. there are a ton of huge hills. thanks again dude for the help. mna i really do appreciate it.

TDBRPH
07-06-2004, 11:08 PM
The beauty of the perch adjuster is the ease with which you can adjust your stall speed.

I'm constantly tweaking the stall speed to fit my riding for the day & it only takes a moment- I don't even have to shut the quad off.

In my opinion, especially when you compare the cost of this clutch with the costs of other similar clutches - or heck, even a pipe - the $100 is a small price to pay for such easy adjustability & the convenience of manual override if you ever desire it.

Gabe. interesting perspective I may have to reconsider. How do you like holeshots with this set up?

Thanks
Triston

Shawn H
07-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I got mine coming should be here Thursday.Cant wait to try it out I have got a race on Sat and will see how much it helps.

TDBRPH
07-07-2004, 09:29 AM
snow did you buy direct or order through a dealer?

Pappy
07-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Shipley
so if i get the clutch will it perform about the same as a utility quads auto clutch does?

it feels nothing like a utility quad, and i love it in the woods.

and i agree with gabe, a drag racer could really get consistant launches with this unit.

i do have the adjuster but yet have had to make any changes. i could live without but im glad its there if that makes sense:p

Shawn H
07-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by TDBRPH
snow did you buy direct or order through a dealer?

I got it today everything looks nicely machined going to install it in a few minutes. I dont understand the adjuster perch directions very well but have just glanced at them.

As far as who I bought it from C&D Racing. Colby is running this auto clutch to and he was just as helpful as Pappy. I even got it a day earlier them I was told :cool:

Pappy
07-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm

Colby is running this auto clutch to and he was just as helpful as Pappy.

He gets the credit for most of the tips i posted, he posted them when he saw I was getting one of these units.

Good luck on the install

Shawn H
07-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks Pappy,

BTW: About the perch adjuster and manual overide no one has mentioned that with out the manual overide you would not be able to get your quad to stop if the throttle stuck wide open for some reason. To me that makes the hundred bucks worth it.

I also didnt realize but you will never be able to pop/push start your quad. So it better not stall on me sometime going down a hill I dont know how many times I do that.:(

Pappy
07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
the only thing i dont like so far is that i cant put it in gear and stand it up on the grab bar using the tranny to hold it in place:p

seatec
07-07-2004, 12:35 PM
the only thing i dont like so far is that i cant put it in gear and stand it up on the grab bar using the tranny to hold it in place:p

i guess you could put the parking brake back on.

How about we get a exrider discount from rekluse? been dying to try one of them rekluses

LapTraffic
07-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Pretty interesting.
I imagine that the main downside is that if the engine dies and you are on a slope you can only use brakes to keep your from rolling, not engine compression.

I like the idea though.
was there a web page posted where I can get more info?

Shawn H
07-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Well I got it all installed it was not that hard. Had to call Colby a few times to clarify a few details. The hardest part is adjusting the damn thing but once its done YOUR DONE.

I rode it for a hour or so and know that I'm faster thru my woods already and really like the system. Cant wait to try it out in race conditions.

Pappy
07-07-2004, 06:49 PM
glad to hear it!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:09 PM
I just wanted to add a few pictures I took during the install
1st one is just the stock clutch

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Rekluse parts

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:14 PM
close up

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
outer pressure plate

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:17 PM
external adjuster and springs

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:19 PM
backside of pressure plate

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:22 PM
1/2 way through instillation
sorry I guess we did not take pictures after this point :eek:

Hammer trx450r
07-07-2004, 08:43 PM
That was very cool . But what will i do if i cant put it in gear and stand it up? Never tried it in neutral:grr:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
we pressed down the rear brake lever held it with a zip tie and stood ours on end..

Hammer trx450r
07-08-2004, 04:28 AM
and theres a good idea;) by the way dusty, my boots are awesome:D

snow4fun
07-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Pappy or whoever:
Does this make it a full automatic where it does all your shifting for you? Or do you still use your foot to change from 1st to 2nd, etc? Is it like a snowmobile clutch where the clutch and foot shifter no longer come into play? As you guys all sound very impressed with this, how do you think it would be in the sand dunes especially where my wife is the one that rides the TRX most of the time??? Thanks in advance. Scott

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-08-2004, 08:28 AM
you still have to shift gears, I haven't tried it in the sand I am sure it would work great their also, I do know that it holeshots rather well on tacky dirt sand mixture :devil: :D

Shawn H
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
My 450r had the outer friction disc indexed one slot over from the rest of the discs, (like a 400ex).Mine did anyway but C&D's didnt.

After talking with Colby I indexed them all the same and also called Rekluse and they said the same thing.

You must index all discs in the same slots.

86atc250r
07-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Mine was indexed like a 400EX.

When I installed the autoclutch the directions did not specify & it was too late in the evening to call tech support - so I indexed it the same as it was from the factory.

Going on almost 6 months without any trouble.....

Shawn H
07-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Yea I dont see how it would make a difference but thats what they said Index them all the same.

swampfoxsc
07-13-2004, 12:50 PM
So you guys are saying that you never have to use the clutch lever to shift? Does the Rekluse clutch work in a way that facilitates shifting without the clutch or is this the same as shifting without the clutch on a stock clutched 450R?

The reason I ask is that I've always heard you need to use the clutch to shift. GNCC racing is murder on my hands and having to use the clutch to shift is just one more thing I'd rather not have to concentrate on.

I understand that the Rekluse clutch basically only disengages your clutch at low rpm. If you're shifting under full throttle then the Rekluse clutch shouldn't come into play at all and that would be the same as shifting under full throttle on a stock clutched atv. Is that right?

If that is correct then can I shift my stock clutched 450R without using the clutch lever and not suffer any tranny problems?

Does any of that make any sense?:huh

Pappy
07-13-2004, 12:54 PM
You can powershift (full throttle shift) with the rekluse and i can assume there would be no increased wear or damage over a standard clutch set up.

and you are correct, if you dont want to touch the clutch you dont have too. this thing works pretty damn sweet IMO.

86atc250r
07-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Yes, that makes sense.

No, shifting above idle speeds is the same as always.

However, you need to slap whoever told you shifting without the clutch is bad for your transmission.

Sure, powershifting can be hard on things (i.e. forcing the lever to shift a gear while the trans is under load - like full throttle), but if you unload the trans by backing off the throttle a bit, the trans will shift smoothly and damage free into the next gear.

Many times, when decelerating you can downshift without the clutch by blipping the throttle to unload the trans.

The key is unloading the transmission --- meaning the engine RPM comes to a point where no power is being delivered to or being taken from the tires and the transmission has little force placed against it.

I know, sounds like something difficult to find or determine -- it's actually very easy... Usually the trans will let you know by allowing you to easily shift into the next gear.

That all said, on my quad that is not equipped with an autoclutch - about the only time I use the clutch is for technical situations for increased throttle control, for starts and stops, and for full throttle shifts.

swampfoxsc
07-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been told by many people over the years that shifting without the clutch is bad so I'm gonna have alot of people to slap!

I fully understand about unloading the tranny before shifting. I've ridden auto clutch utility atvs for over 15 years and on occassion you have to unload the tranny to shift on those too, especially on steep downhills.

Since I just started riding and racing sport atvs alot of this is new to me. I just never gave a second thought to using the clutch to shift. Now, I hate to think back on the GNCC's I've raced this year and all the times I struggled to make sure I used the clutch when shifting on precarious parts of the course!:grr:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Rekluse auto clutch may revolutionize the sport atv industry? Will we see a manufacturer step up and offer an auto/maual clutch in the near future?:)

Shawn H
07-14-2004, 12:44 AM
I raced my auto 450r for the first time with the auto clutch last weekend and WOW is all I got to say its the
BOMB DIGGDY!!!!:macho I easily won my class and lapped all of my competetion.

Highly recommend:cool:

popo
07-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Gabe, How do you think this would work with Z400, being electric start?

Especially with a dead engine start? Would it lug the quad forward while depressing on the start button and not allow the motor to crank over enough to fire.

Thank you.

TDBRPH
07-17-2004, 07:00 AM
I have seen several guys running it on the YFZ hasnt seemed to be a problem. Hopefully I can tell you first hand in about a week
:)

86atc250r
07-17-2004, 09:58 AM
It would work great on an e-start quad.

I can kickstart mine in gear, easily - so that tells you how much the clutch drags when starting.

popo
07-17-2004, 03:55 PM
It would work great on an e-start quad.

I can kickstart mine in gear, easily - so that tells you how much the clutch drags when starting.

Thanks gabe.... This thing sounds better than ATM machines at jiggy rooms or sliced bread.

Pappy
07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Race #2 with the rekluse unit installed:

Well, getting out front of the E start quads is a breeze :devil: an unfortunate wreck prevented me from completing the race, but the unit contiues to work as well as it did when first installed.

i did manage to stall it again, but i believe this si a carb issue not related to the clutch.

when i wrecked, i was thrown over the bars and slammed down and the quad bounced its way threw a creek landing on all 4 wheels on the opposite creek bank. once i got up and reached the quad, it was still running:eek: i slammed the throttle and even tho in 3rd gear she was off like a rocket:macho

Shawn H
07-19-2004, 12:35 PM
2nd race for me was Sunday, got 2nd on the holeshot.

Crashed really hard in 4th pinned rolled and my handguard bracket was rubbing on the manual override adjuster once I got that beat out of the way started picking them off and easily won the B-class in the IATVHSS.

This is the best mod possible IMO for XC racing. Its a breeze!!!!!!:devil:

Pappy
07-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm

This is the best mod possible IMO for XC racing. Its a breeze!!!!!!:devil:

lol...there was a small section on our course yasterday, very very tight between 2 tree's and as soon as your front tires cleared a large root it would drop off into a 15 inch rut. i worked right thru the section, then pulled over and watched as 4 quads in a row stalled several times each.

you are correct, this is on par with suspension as being #1 on my list of "must do" mods!

kbass24emtp
07-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Is it worth getting for MX racing, and what kind of maintance is envolved in keeping it working right?

Pappy
07-20-2004, 06:40 AM
it works fine for the mx track, infact thats what its marketed for in the bike's.

maintance is the same as any other clutch, you will replace the clutch plates the same as you would the stock clutch

seatec
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Well, i just ordered mine and am curious to see if Pappy is full of it. :devil: No honestly, i heard enough good things about this clutch that am sure that it is most benificial in the woods as well as on the mx track. thanx for all the good info on this Pappy.

TDBRPH
07-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Just ordered mine yesterday as well !!! Look forward to installing it ! Ordered mine from C & D Racing and I was very happy with the transaction A +

Triston

seatec
07-20-2004, 01:38 PM
what was the damage? $$$

Seano
07-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Pappy, which twist throttle kit do you use on your TRX? i just bought an 05 and need some input on twist throttles? i've looked at the whirlpull and its only 15.95 without a cable. i would like to use a CRF throttle and cable if possible so i can use all honda parts. thanks

Pappy
07-23-2004, 04:04 PM
i attempted to ride with teh motion pro 1/2 twist:p it worked fine, i on the other hand have switched back to the thumb throttle.

anyone need a good deal on a motion pro twist with cable:D

hapychap
08-05-2004, 01:09 PM
:confused: Hey pappy, greetings from a far far desert.

Do you think or would you know if rekluse will be looking into developing an auto clutch for the 400ex ??? :(

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by hapychap
:confused: Hey pappy, greetings from a far far desert.

Do you think or would you know if rekluse will be looking into developing an auto clutch for the 400ex ??? :(

I am in the process of getting them to make one for the 400ex.

they said it was on the backburner, I told them that it should be put on the front one. As soon as I have information on the 400ex auto clutch I will let you all know.

Pappy
08-05-2004, 01:18 PM
now we know who wears the pants at C&D:macho

86atc250r
08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
they said it was on the backburner, I told them that it should be put on the front one. As soon as I have information on the 400ex auto clutch I will let you all know.

I talked to Al @ Rekluse about the 400EX two years ago & how many he'd sell if he'd just make them.

Good luck pushing him forward - I'd be one of the first customers if he'll do it.......

08-06-2004, 02:06 PM
There's only 600,000+ potential 400ex owners out there. Rekluse needs to Wake the hell up...:rolleyes:

Hammer trx450r
08-06-2004, 02:18 PM
now i dont think people are spending big coin to mod a 400ex anymore. With these new bikes if you are the type to spend coin on your quad it wont be an outdated machine. Not flaming just think its kinda late to push him now on it

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Rico
There's only 600,000+ potential 400ex owners out there. Rekluse needs to Wake the hell up...:rolleyes:

They realize that they need to make them for the 400ex but as you know the clutch is different from the 450r's in the way it engages, they are working on a way to make one for the 400ex that is reliable that also includes an external adjuster.

tamehart
08-06-2004, 05:36 PM
anyone want one...I have one for $400 shipped. for the 450r. Just incase no one checked out my listing in the forsale Items. Thanks.

86atc250r
08-06-2004, 05:38 PM
now i dont think people are spending big coin to mod a 400ex anymore. With these new bikes if you are the type to spend coin on your quad it wont be an outdated machine. Not flaming just think its kinda late to push him now on it

I still race my EX & am still very competitive on it. A 400EX is still a very competitive woods quad when done right - also very economical with the cost of used 400EX's.

Autoclutchs are EXCELLENT for a wife's quad. The 400EX is also an excellent quad for the wife.

Besides - if you consider $400 to be "big coin", you're in the wrong sport. Especially considering one of the first mods the average user does to his quad (no matter if he's riding a Warrior or a YFZ) is to spend $300 ~ $500 on a pipe that generally offers only small gains in the way of real performance. Personally, I'd put my cash on an autoclutch long before I spent the money on a pipe.

jt911
08-06-2004, 08:34 PM
www.jet4power.com
They will usually beat anyones price.

Hammer trx450r
08-06-2004, 08:45 PM
I still race my EX & am still very competitive on it. A 400EX is still a very competitive woods quad when done right - also very economical with the cost of used 400EX's.

Autoclutchs are EXCELLENT for a wife's quad. The 400EX is also an excellent quad for the wife.

Besides - if you consider $400 to be "big coin", you're in the wrong sport. Especially considering one of the first mods the average user does to his quad (no matter if he's riding a Warrior or a YFZ) is to spend $300 ~ $500 on a pipe that generally offers only small gains in the way of real performance. Personally, I'd put my cash on an autoclutch long before I spent the money on a pipe.

I didnt look at it in that way. I can see profiting on that alone. I just ment if he didnt do it before, with all these new machines coming out, be even tougher now.

hapychap
08-08-2004, 12:12 AM
...... I'd be one of the first customers if he'll do it.......

That would be after me for sure, cause I would be the first. To the rest of the posts, it is for the wifes bike and the 400ex is a GREAT bike for the wife, she kicks butt :devil: but is hard on the clutch. :mad:

As I have said on these forums previously, our temperatures here are comonly in the 100 - 120 degrees and for an air cooled engine in desert sand and dunes where the air pressure is less dense due to the heat and the wind almost non-existant, the engine is constantly peeking, in fact a high percentage of the time to keep the momentum through the sand or up the dunes. 4 years later of hard, hard riding and apart from regular services and 2 or 3 batteries (them things don't last here) the bikes are still top class and the rapptors are having to work very VERY hard indeed to only JUST :grr: stay ahead. :cool:

I must add we have taught a dozen or so people how to ride on these same bikes and you will all agree a novice on a bike is "high-maintenance" for any bike. :grr: Have also taken numerous hard tumbles and have only replaced a bent tie rod straightened the steering shaft.

The TRX400ex was built to last and long will they live. It is still an 'affordable' machine as not everyone can afford the performance machines like the 450r and the 400 can "grow" into a preformance machine as the 'bug' bites and you slowly turn into a quad-a-holic and your riding skills improve. Not everyone starts out in this sport wanting to "go-pro" so I am sure the 400ex will still be around for a while yet!! ;)

Rekluse should sit back and take stock :huh, maybe even do a survey using this fine forum on who would be interested. Pappy push them blokes, I think they are a little detached from the reality of quad riders as a WHOLE (including the recreational riders where a clutchless set-up would have obvious benefits) and not just the performance junkies!!!! :D :devil: [COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue]

TURBO-530R
08-09-2004, 10:36 AM
I Bought my Rekluse from C&Dlast week and installed it.as allways C&D was great to deal with and gave a great price.
The kit was very easy to install and worked well for all types of rides except dragracing and that is what i do. i lost 1/2 second in the 1/8 mile and 3/10ths was in my 60 foot time so if you dragrace this wont help you.I will sell my used recluse set up for one day in great like new shape for $300 if any one is intrested e mail me james341@aol.com.I hope this helps anyone who drags to not spend the money it wont work for this.But it worked great for the woods thanks

Jim aka CRASH508-EX

86atc250r
08-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Hmm -

I drag race with mine and can turn a 5.8~5.9 total time @ 54mph on a 300' dirt strip.

I didn't try it before the clutch install, but I'm right with or faster than the YFZs so I haven't worried about it too much.

1/2 second in the 1/8 mile is pretty steep --- sounds like you've got some else going on.

Double check your adjustment and make sure your clutch isn't slipping.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Jim I talked to Rekluse today and instead of me relaying what they had to say they asked for you to give them a call, they feel with some adjustments it should be great for dragracing, call rekluse 208-426-0659 and ask for shawn.

TURBO-530R
08-09-2004, 12:38 PM
I just got off the phone with shawn aid he said it sounds like i have installed it wright but for my special needs he will work with me and send me some other parts to try to make it work.

I will let you know how it works out. jim

The 450r has been good to me. I won the Mid Alantic ATV Nationals @ New Town Dragway on july 11 my best time that day was 5.1 sec in 300 ft . I won the ProClass.

Also i race 1/8 mile on black top at Budds Creek /Maryland International Dragway and I have been #1 in points all year except the first week i was #2 Best time 7.9 in the 1/8th mile

P.S. I am hard on the clutch.

Thanks Colby for the call to shawn

Jim

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-09-2004, 12:47 PM
I see how you are, Colby gets all the credit ;) :)

86atc250r
08-09-2004, 01:19 PM
my best time that day was 5.1 sec in 300 ft

Was that ET or Total time?

I've done a few 5.1's, but it's ET so far --- it would take significantly more HP and traction to do a 5.1 total time on dirt.

Was that dirt or asphalt? What was the trap speed?

Colby@C&DRacing
08-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Crash I am glad we could help. I really enjoy working with the guys at rekluse they are great. It is always nice to deal with a company that has service after the sale;)

Antnee77
08-09-2004, 11:22 PM
For those who said you can't push it and pop the clutch to start it, can't you push it in neutral and then drop it into gear or does the clutch engage on it's own?

Hammer trx450r
08-10-2004, 04:55 AM
i guess if you can push it 30 mph you could

TURBO-530R
08-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I see how you are, Colby gets all the credit ;) :)

Sorry Silverfox but i thought he took care of it .i should have known who was in controle. jim

jt911
08-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Antnee77
For those who said you can't push it and pop the clutch to start it, can't you push it in neutral and then drop it into gear or does the clutch engage on it's own?

NO! It takes motor RPM to engage the clutch.

Antnee77
08-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Ok, so if you were to roll down a hill in neutral and then drop it into gear, it would start up, correct?

TURBO-530R
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
No you can't catch it in gear.

TURBO-530R
08-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Was that ET or Total time?

I've done a few 5.1's, but it's ET so far --- it would take significantly more HP and traction to do a 5.1 total time on dirt.

Was that dirt or asphalt? What was the trap speed? http://www.speedballs.org/RACEPHOTOS/page_3.html

that day i went 5.1 3times one 5.2 some 5.3's and 5.5's

And its sand not dirt there i run 5.0-5.1 on asphalt all day long

popo
08-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Well based on Pappy and Gabe's reviews. I have one ordered for my Z.

Great job on this post as it was very informative and sold me.

The DAHM thing better work great or yawls gonna get a whoo-phish :D

Pappy
08-11-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by popo
Well based on Pappy and Gabe's reviews. I have one ordered for my Z.

Great job on this post as it was very informative and sold me.

The DAHM thing better work great or yawls gonna get a whoo-phish :D

i garuntee Popo gets wood with this unit installed.

popo
08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
i garuntee Popo gets wood with this unit installed.

O great now every one is gonna be staring at me cause I have a woody

Shawn H
08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
What my reviews worthless, biatch

Pappy
WOW
Your going out a limb with that statement:bandit:

Naw just teasing Popo your going to love it once its intstalled and set up correctly.I bet ya finish the race Whoop ish :D

Merriman
08-12-2004, 01:06 PM
After reading all of these comments and researching this clutch I believe this will be the best purchase for my girlfriend (possibly myself too) since she is brand new to ATVing and will be riding a YFZ450 this coming dunes season at glamis.:)

After I talk with her, I am sure this will be on its way asap so we can get it dialed in.

Thanks to everyone for the great thread.

seatec
08-12-2004, 01:29 PM
You will not regret it. i got mine put in last saturday and it is awesome. no worry about stalling anymore and near perfect feathering.

Merriman
08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Well I just bought one from C&D racing for my girlfriends YFZ. Should be here next week and we'll se how it goes. :) She thinks its a great idea as well, and should help her out.....I just hope she doesn't get wood with this new unit like Popo :grr:

JHF219
08-12-2004, 05:40 PM
This clutch is one of the best things ever invented!!

Ok well here is my story of this clutch and for all you skeptics i was in your shoes at first!!

Well i showed up at pappys house for dinner and to hang out. After we stood around and talked for a few and i watched some of his PC magic he pulled the 450 out of the trailer. wow this thing was beautiful. we talked about the 450 for a few minutes and then pappy proceeded to tell me that he installed a Rekluse autoclutch on it ? so here i am just completly doubting this thing and also dumb founded not believing that someone would exchange a manual clutch for an auto.

Pappy took a warm up lap on the 450 and brought it back and told me to go. well i proceeded into the woods and just got a feel for the clutch. man this thing works just like a manual but you do not have to pull the lever in. it feathers out of turns just using the throttle and it hooks up massivly. after making a slow lap i decided to start playing with the clutch more and i completly fell in love wiht this thing !! actually this clutch is identical to a manual but u dont have to use the lever!! just ask the poor tree in pappys yard wow it really works!!

I ride MX only and i can tell you that after riding this clutch im not going to hesitate to slap one in my YFZ when i purchase mine.

For all you people doubtin this clutch or the whole autoclutch idea quit being old fashioned buy one try it out there are no dissapointments to it there are no downfalls at all!! I would not think twice about buying one now that i know what it can really do !!

And yeah this kit will give you a woody !! i would have loved to have taken this to an MX track that day i know that this clutch kit will improve any riders lap times no matter MX XC or just playing around the clutch has what it takes and is a very good investment.

Thanks Pappy for letting me ride on your 450 and for the chance to test something that i was really skeptical of !!

Codeman
08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by JHForman250R
just ask the poor tree in pappys yard wow it really works!!

When I came around the track and saw that I was like, oh man this isn't good:blah:

JHF219
08-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Codeman
When I came around the track and saw that I was like, oh man this isn't good:blah:

i was freakin out :(

Pappy
08-12-2004, 06:03 PM
tree killa:devil:

Hammer trx450r
08-12-2004, 08:06 PM
damn:eek2:

JHF219
08-13-2004, 09:25 AM
tree killa:devil:

ah the memories !! the clutch just kept diggin :devil:

adambomb
08-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I have been looking at and reading this post since its beginning. I must admit you guys have my attention!

I have a question about starts with this setup. I have not heard anyone except Pappy really mention how the auto clutch performs out of the gate. If you gas it does it want to stand up or does it just feather its way to a perfect holeshot? I realize that this has probably something to do with your adjustment but if this is true then do you have to readjust it again once your going?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

jb500ex
08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
i was talking too mickey dunlap about this clutch. he said it slips perfectly for 10 too 15 feet then just hooks up and goes. everyone that has one or ridden a bike with one has loved it. i think i will be getting one soon. mainly because off my high comp piston. when the bike dies hot it is a pain in the -ss to start again

adambomb
08-15-2004, 07:57 PM
I also have the 13:1 JE piston and I never have any trouble with it i.e. hot or cold. One kick with the hot start (when warm) and she and she fires right up.

It sounds like the benefits from this setup are endless. Alot less arm pump and clutch work. As unsavy as I am on an MX track this will help me to put more thought into other things that are happening, like watching what everybody else is doing!:D

jb500ex
08-15-2004, 08:02 PM
adambomb
what jetting do you have, i was thinking i could be off.

adambomb
08-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I run the 185 main that came with the HRC kit. The altitude here is just under 1000ft. I also run a K&N with no lid.

jb500ex
08-15-2004, 08:31 PM
did you change your pilot jet

adambomb
08-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Nope, left it alone. How well does it run after you get it going again?

jb500ex
08-15-2004, 08:37 PM
cold it starts right away, 1 kick usually . it runs fine just when hot it doesn't want too start when turned off or stalled

cjpoole1
08-15-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a question concerning this clutch on a YFZ. One of the more popular things to do on a YFZ for XC riding to reduce low rpm stalling is to put on a heavier flywheel, will using the Rekluse eliminate this low rpm stalling or will using the heavier flywheel effect the performance of the Rekluse?

Antnee77
08-15-2004, 10:02 PM
The weighted flywheel will reduce performance pretty highly. I am sure that with this auto-clutch you will not stall at all. How are you stalling anyways?

Pappy
08-16-2004, 08:12 AM
how does it launch?

i can start in first gear dead engine...half throttle. when i kick the quad(usually fires on 1/2 a kick) i go to WOT and she just tears out of the hole. i have had ZERO problem getting the holeshot against the electric start quads.

as for MX gate starts, just pin it. the clutch will feather as designed and you will be shifting thru the gears heading for the first turn....OUT FRONT!

adambomb
08-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks Pappy, that was the answer I was looking for.

Merriman
08-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Alright.....this thing is the cats ***.....:macho

My girlfriend and I finished the installation last night. It took us about an hour and a half for the both of us to completely read and install this. Pretty good since neither of us had any expierence with this product. After the install we had to quite and attend one of her friends going away functions. Fast-forward to this morning. I tried to adjust the stall speed, and get it to quit lurking forward while it sat in 1st gear at idle. Well a quick call to Greg at Rekluse and he helped me tremendously. He also noted that since I had the light spring installed on the adjuster (on the clutch lever) it would help out greatly to install the stiffer spring.....He said most ATVs require this one anyways.

So I switched it out, re-tuned the stall speed, and it quit slipping.....Thats right, it just sat there idling in 1st gear. Well now for the test ride. I don't have much room to ride around my property but I made due. Starting off slow, the clutch feathered its way right up to speed and took off gracefully. Down the road I went. Shifting into second felt smooth, much like if you shift with no load on the tranny with the standard clutch. Got to the end of the street where I had to make a tight turn on an off camber enbankment, and ofcourse I immediately pulled in the cltch...DOH!. It still idled fine since the clutch can still function normally, but I had to remember not to reach for the clutch anymore. So I let it out, and idled my way around the turn with no stalling, or any other problems. A few more warm up laps, and I was ready to see what it could really do. Down my dirt drive way I wanted to see how fast it could react so I slammed on the brakes locking up the rear tires, and it didn't stall, instead it just sat idling...so I slammed on the gas and up came the front wheels into to a nice 1st gear wheelie that I held for nearly the entire length of the drive way.....slammed on the brakes, came to a stop at idle once again.

I let my dad ride it.....he thought it was great, and well worth the money. I let my little brother ride it, and he loved it. Then my 80 year old grandma showed up (shes been riding since the 69' US 90 came out) and I let her ride it. She loved it....and thought it was an excellent "thingy"

Overall I don't have much time on it....maybe 30 minutes, and I have not fully played with all the adjustments in the clutch lever. But with that aside I love it. I am totally impressed with everything this package had. I feel Rekluse promised it would do what they said, and it does it and more. I can't wait to get it out to some real riding territory so I can opener up some more.

With my girlfriend being new to ATVs, I think this is really going to make her expierence more enjoyable since she won't have to worry about the clutch at all and can now just concentrate on what's ahead of her. Who knows, soon one may fined itself in my race bike.

Thank you C&D Racing for the hook up.....and fast shipping. :D

popo
08-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Where do you think u set the man adjustment more or less on the fast side?

I just got one installed in my Z400 and have not had a chance to try it, waiting on frame.

Thanks for the write up.

Merriman
08-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Right now its a little on the fast side. I have right at 1" of threads showing on the main adjustment. Abour 1-200 rpms off of idle is when the clutch begins to engage and the bike begins to pull away.

atvrider12764
08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
my question is why would you have to pull in the clutch and override the clutch if you do all the shifting without the clutch anyways?

popo
08-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by atvrider12764
my question is why would you have to pull in the clutch and override the clutch if you do all the shifting without the clutch anyways?

There is a manual adjustment that goes on the perch to control when the clutch will engage based on the rpm's you whish to have it hook up at.

atvrider12764
08-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by popo
There is a manual adjustment that goes on the perch to control when the clutch will engage based on the rpm's you whish to have it hook up at.

im confused....have what hook up at?because dont you shift the gears or does it shift from 1,2,3,4 etc by itself?

popo
08-24-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by atvrider12764
im confused....have what hook up at?because dont you shift the gears or does it shift from 1,2,3,4 etc by itself?

You still have to shift with your foot. No need to use the clutch lever. Will not stall in gear.

Read the 4 pages of the post to get all your questions answered.

atvrider12764
08-24-2004, 01:56 PM
in the ocotober isssue of dirtwheels is a test ride with the rekluse clutch

DEAL
08-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Are they going to make one for the 400ex?

Pappy
08-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Are they going to make one for the 400ex?

only if they get enough hard requests for them. i know my brother has cash and is dying for one

Shipdawg
08-25-2004, 10:29 PM
so in the october issue there will be a test on the rekluse clutch? i gotta get that mag. anyone know where they sell it at? i have been everywhere to find this months issue and i cant find it anywhere. its crazy! no dirt wheels and no atv magazines period! i'm going nucking futs. ahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antnee77
08-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Where do you live? Don't you have a large bookstore nearby?

ohski
08-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Rrrrrrr... I read all this to find out they don't make one for the 400ex.... Rrrrrr... And this thing sounds like it was made for me too.

Oh well, I've spent enough on a quad that I haven't even seen yet.

Shipdawg
08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
i live like next to 4 pretty good sized cities and i can't find them nowhere where they sell magazines. other than going to the mall. whichi may have to do. it's like they all have stopped carrting them.

Shipdawg
08-26-2004, 12:00 PM
i live like next to 4 pretty good sized cities and i can't find them nowhere where they sell magazines. other than going to the mall. whichi may have to do. it's like they all have stopped carrting them. I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy a subscription to them all. it would only cost me like 50 bucks or so to get a subscription to them all which would actually save me money in the long run.......hmmmm something i may have to think about,

Antnee77
08-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah you'll save a crapload by subscribing to the mag, but I would read one first. You never know, you may hate it!

hapychap
08-28-2004, 04:56 AM
only if they get enough hard requests for them. i know my brother has cash and is dying for one

I hereby place a FIRM order and I am sure there are at least 2 or 3 more takers in the group we ride in. Just tell me they are available.

Pappy, can't you do a survey on EXRIDERS and survey who would be interested in ordering a unit? mabye even devise a way to pre-order so that it minimises the risk to Rekluse for R&D and they will have a firmer understanding of what "risk" exposure they face if they go ahead :huh and produce them?

:confused: :confused:

Pappy
08-28-2004, 07:13 AM
haha well i could but usually 50% of the people will respond like this....

"id love one and ill buy one when i get the money":p

call rekluse, tell them your name and phone #. tell them you want to place an order for one. im certain they will make it if people will actually call and press them on it

hapychap
08-28-2004, 07:22 AM
haha well i could but usually 50% of the people will respond like this....

"id love one and ill buy one when i get the money":p

call rekluse, tell them your name and phone #. tell them you want to place an order for one. im certain they will make it if people will actually call and press them on it

Sure, you have the inside contacts so which number do I call and who do I speak to, to get the quickest response and fastest results????

Where do I send the cheque to??

Pappy
08-28-2004, 07:29 AM
to be honest...i would call dusty at C & D Racing. tell her you want on her coat tails with rekluse. i know she is pounding them for this also.

www.rekluse.com i believe is thier website and should provide contact info if you want to talk direct. harlen has the inside #'s but if i had them id post them!

hapychap
08-28-2004, 07:36 AM
to be honest...i would call dusty at C & D Racing. tell her you want on her coat tails with rekluse. i know she is pounding them for this also.

www.rekluse.com i believe is thier website and should provide contact info if you want to talk direct. harlen has the inside #'s but if i had them id post them!

Shall do just that early next week. In the meantime let me see if I can get a few more confirmed sales in these parts.

However would it not also add strength to the case by doing a survey through the forum and get a "feal" for just how many 400ex'rs out there would be interested? At least get a feel for it, I know the numbers would not be chisled in stone.

HARLEN - can you provide me with some numbers and names so I can fight this "beast" from both ends?

Blown 331
08-28-2004, 12:44 PM
I know this auto clutch has it's place but I could NEVER do that. I like the manual clutch but I just ride for fun. Maybe you guys should get a 250EX. :p

Pappy
08-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
I know this auto clutch has it's place but I could NEVER do that. I like the manual clutch but I just ride for fun. Maybe you guys should get a 250EX. :p

did you not get the last 9 pages and comprehend that its not a true auto?

oh well, while your stuck in a ditch stalled ill be on my way to the checkered flag...oops...you ride for fun:devil:

Blown 331
08-28-2004, 01:38 PM
did you not get the last 9 pages and comprehend that its not a true auto?

oh well, while your stuck in a ditch stalled ill be on my way to the checkered flag...oops...you ride for fun:devil:

Let me read this whole thread first and I'll get back to you. :confused:

Blown 331
08-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Well I didn't read it all but let me see if I get this right. On say a 250EX you can hold the shifter up or down while in gear and rev the engine because the manual clutch is released. On the 450 with the auto clutch it's kinda like pulling up on the lever for the 250 is the same as pulling the clutch lever? Does that make sense? It still sounds the same as any 4-wheeler with an auto clutch except you can manually release with the clutch lever, but on any other auto you can release by lifting the shifter so it sounds basically the same to me. If that's not right can someone explain it to me?

Pappy
08-28-2004, 03:56 PM
you have alot to learn about this unit and the differences in transmissions...

first off, you can hold up on the shifter with your stock clutch and it wont go anywhere(ofcourse you will need to bump the clutch to release the gear but the rekluse does that for you) secondly, you have full use of your manual clutch lever with this unit. last time i checked a 250ex doesnt have a manual clutch lever.

third...if you doubt something...go try it before leveling an opinion. this unit isnt for everyone as stated many times in this thread ..which you didnt read yet posted again anyway. read JHForemans post...he was very skeptical before he ACTUAL rode an R equipped with this clutch. Now he rides a built 250R so what would he know...lol

you bring your R ill bring mine. we can switch and by the end of a 40 mile trail ride you wont be switching back to yours and thats a promise:devil:

Antnee77
08-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Lemme ask you this, Pappy: have you ever had/seen someone try the auto-clutch out and realize they still preferred to go manual?

Pappy
08-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Lemme ask you this, Pappy: have you ever had/seen someone try the auto-clutch out and realize they still preferred to go manual?

ive had people ride it and say they could get used to it and not need the manual clutch. others have said they wouldnt use the manual clutch (as i do) and just ride the hell out of it.

not one person has rode it and said they didnt like it. it really is a product that works as advertised.

is it perfect? nope. the biggest drawback ive found is the lack of engine braking when you need it the most. i did manage to stall it at the top of a rock wall and although i was on the flat, when i went to kick start it the movement caused the quad to start sliding backwards. the front brakes werent enough to hold the quad (tires were sliding) and down the hill i went. if i could rig a rear brake where the clutch lever is (remove the clutch all-together) id be in business. if this unit was used on a quad with the electric start it would be damn near flawless. the engine braking going downhill isnt bad, it just takes a few rides to get a feel for the differences.

ive even had people try to stall it. 5th gear run ....slam on the brakes and slide to a stop. the quad just sits there still in 5th idling away. i cant wait to see what this set up does on a TT or flattrack.

Hammer trx450r
08-28-2004, 05:50 PM
you just answered my next question. Im worried about hot braking from 5th without a blip of throttle.

Hammer trx450r
08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Im worried about getting the rpms up when im in wronge gear out of a turn

Hammer trx450r
08-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Problems as I see it 1. Cant put quad up on grab bar to load my quad in the van
2. I wish my quad had more engine braking not less
3. in turns, my clutch almost becomes my throttle(riding 2 strokes for 15 yrs)
4. is this putting strain on my tranny?

Pappy
08-28-2004, 06:26 PM
1) CLEAN JERK THE QUAD:macho lol....muscle:devil: ( but i agree it can be an issue for some people)

2)engine braking is equal to a stock unit as long as the rpm doesnt drop below the set stall speed (usually a tad above idle)

3)hammering turns is actually faster with this unit because you control the gas and the beautiful feathering of this unit does the rest

4)you will see on average 1 more clutch change a year vs. a stock set up

Hammer trx450r
08-28-2004, 07:30 PM
I get a muscle spasm just thinking of that. well i need to get a trailer anyway(50 inches is tight in van doors)

Antnee77
08-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Just thinking of changing the left lever to a rear brake...how cool would it be to have the rear brake on the right lever and the front brakes on the left lever!?

BTW Pappy, do you have the "clutch override" thing or are you ***** out of luck if you still want to use a clutch?

The only thing that makes me skeptical about this whole thing is a ride on my friends Suzuki QuadRunner 250 with a factory auto-clutch. It shifts like ***** and considering that's how it is built from the factory, I'm thinking that this thing couldn't possibly be smooth. But if you say so...

Antnee77
08-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
I get a muscle spasm just thinking of that. well i need to get a trailer anyway(50 inches is tight in van doors)

Or you could just buy ramps, or just use planks of wood and put metal clips on the end.

Pappy
08-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Just thinking of changing the left lever to a rear brake...how cool would it be to have the rear brake on the right lever and the front brakes on the left lever!?

BTW Pappy, do you have the "clutch override" thing or are you ***** out of luck if you still want to use a clutch?

The only thing that makes me skeptical about this whole thing is a ride on my friends Suzuki QuadRunner 250 with a factory auto-clutch. It shifts like ***** and considering that's how it is built from the factory, I'm thinking that this thing couldn't possibly be smooth. But if you say so...

yes i have the clutch override which is nothing...you simply still have the lever and it works almost like it did before.

the tranny shifts as smooth now as it did the day i brought it home. there is nothing even to compare in regards to the 450R tranny with this unit versus ANY utility style auto clutch.

just think of it as shifting without using your clutch....not having to even think about using the clutch.....not worrying about stalling the quad and never worring about the proper amount of feathering to apply. all this with no damage to the clutch or the tranny.

86atc250r
08-28-2004, 10:26 PM

Pappy addressed this, but I thought I'd add a little.

The factory auto clutches used in utilities have the clutch actually connected to the shift lever - which is why you can hold the shifter up, rev it up, then let go and pop a wheelie.

The Rekluse does not work like this. So, your shifter operates with a short stroke, just like stock - easily, just like stock - and no revving up between gears, just like stock....

Antnee77
08-28-2004, 10:30 PM
OMG I just came up w/the craziest fcukin idea!!! What if you took a STOCK 450R and swapped the rear brake lever with the clutch lever? Would you have a foot clutch!? Is it even possible? Sorry for going off topic.

Anyway, so w/the manual override can you rev it and pop the clutch to pull the front end up? Also, can you rev match, like say, rev the quad before moving into the next gear, using the manual override?

Pappy
08-29-2004, 08:09 AM
you can ride the quad just like stock if you prefer. manual overide is merely a term for the stock clutch lever working like normal.

jt911
08-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Rekluse is about to release a hand operated rear brake/clutch override on the same perch.

Blown 331
08-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Ok, I got it. It's basically the same as stock except in situation where the motor would lug the auto clutch will disengage. And a have a very thorough understanding of transmissions. A 250EX has both a manual and centrifugal clutch. The manual clutch is hooked to the shift lever, that's why when you hold the lever up or down you can rev the engine while in gear.

86atc250r
08-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Same here, except your manual clutch is still where it usually is --- and the centrifugal one is adjustable to fit your your riding style or your needs of the moment.

dhines
08-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jt911
Rekluse is about to release a hand operated rear brake/clutch override on the same perch.

Maybe it's just because it's Monday morning, but you'll have to explain that one to me in a bit more detail.

Pappy
08-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by dhines
Maybe it's just because it's Monday morning, but you'll have to explain that one to me in a bit more detail.

lol..me too

id like to see the adjuster moved to its own bracket and a regular style brake lever placed where the clutch would be. i literally have zero use for the clutch lever....i really dont have any use for the adjuster at this point either:p

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-30-2004, 08:55 AM
I personally still use the overide I guess it is natural :)

The only info I have right now on the z-start Brake system is this allows the rider to use his left hand to control & actuate the rear brake. Moving the brake control to the left hand improves braking control, especially in tight corners, right turns and technical downhills. The z- start Brake System is available as a complete left-hand brake replacement for the stock foot brake or as a combination left hand and foot brake.

This is from a brochure I received.

Pappy
08-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I personally still use the overide I guess it is natural :)

The only info I have right now on the z-start Brake system is this allows the rider to use his left hand to control & actuate the rear brake. Moving the brake control to the left hand improves braking control, especially in tight corners, right turns and technical downhills. The z- start Brake System is available as a complete left-hand brake replacement for the stock foot brake or as a combination left hand and foot brake.

This is from a brochure I received.

as soon as you get your hands on one put me down for one!

seatec
08-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Honestly, i really like the rekluse. it works great in every environment. However, i feel a bit had with the manual adjuster and having to pay 100 bux for it while it is just floping there on my lever. He should take it back and give me a hundred back.

Other than that it works great!

popo
08-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dhines

Really, whats this thing do again?

:D

Blown 331
08-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by seatec
Honestly, i really like the rekluse. it works great in every environment. However, i feel a bit had with the manual adjuster and having to pay 100 bux for it while it is just floping there on my lever. He should take it back and give me a hundred back.

Other than that it works great!

What is this manual adjuster?

Antnee77
08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
What is this manual adjuster?

I think he was referring to the part that allows you to still use the clutch as a stock unit would work.

popo
08-30-2004, 11:05 PM
I think he was referring to the part that allows you to still use the clutch as a stock unit would work.

NO NO NO. It allows you to adjust the autoclutch engagement either fast or slow.

outacontrol31
08-31-2004, 09:32 AM
will the rekluse fit on the 450R if it has a pro connection lever? and do you have to by somthin special when the clutch does need changed or is it just normal clutch plates?

Pappy
08-31-2004, 11:08 AM
the clutch plates (fibers) are stock. you do replace a certain number of the steel plates with units provided by rekluse.

your clutch lever will be fine

outacontrol31
08-31-2004, 02:10 PM
are the new plates any more expensive to replace than regular clutch plates? anyway it sounds like somthin i will be seriosly considering in the near future, thanks for all the info, and maybe later you can post pics of the adjustment lever or whatever it is yall are talking about

#1speedbump
08-31-2004, 04:53 PM
How do you guys feel this clutch would do in the sand for general riding and some drag racing? I thought I read somewhere that one of you wasnt happy with it's performance when drag racing.

seatec
09-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by outacontrol31
will the rekluse fit on the 450R if it has a pro connection lever? and do you have to by somthin special when the clutch does need changed or is it just normal clutch plates?

i have relkuse manual adjuster mounted on a Pro Con lever and it works fine. it just kind of defeats the purpous of having that nice $140 lever and perch:(

outacontrol31
09-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by seatec
i have relkuse manual adjuster mounted on a Pro Con lever and it works fine. it just kind of defeats the purpous of having that nice $140 lever and perch:(

no kidding but i had to get all that crap off the bars and the proconnection is the only one with the hotstart, it's ridiculious what they can charge but nobody else offers one with the hotstart. anyway i talked to my dad about it today and i may be gettin the rekluse sometime over the winter, so that i will have it for the 05 racing season

seatec
09-02-2004, 09:34 AM
your goign to love it. that things is awesome and worth every penney (execept the adjuster):D

p@iNn3ck
09-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

Is there one available for the 400ex??:confused:

(couldnt find it on their site if so.)

Hammer trx450r
09-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Just ordered mine from c&d, I'll give ya my opinion soon:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hammer trx450r
09-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Is it hard to shift into nuetral when its running? I don't think im adjusted right. Bike wont get into nuetral because its lurching foward. And what is the barrel adjusting? Im guessing the launch timeing?

05-23-2005, 04:27 PM
hey pappy
so wat ur saying is that u can use the clutch as u normally would even when u do have the rekluse,(is nuetral still between 1st and second) :confused:

(can u stop in any gear without holding the clutch in and itll still run)as it would in nuetral)wouldnt it move forward)

can u post a vid of switching through the gears or could you just help me find one cus i looked all over for one but i cant fin it

Sounds pretty sweet:p

WhiteZee
05-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Marshmello
hey pappy
so wat ur saying is that u can use the clutch as u normally would even when u do have the rekluse,(is nuetral still between 1st and second) :confused:

(can u stop in any gear without holding the clutch in and itll still run)as it would in nuetral)wouldnt it move forward)

can u post a vid of switching through the gears or could you just help me find one cus i looked all over for one but i cant fin it

Sounds pretty sweet:p
your first two questions are a YES, the third one is pointless. why do you want to see someone switching gears, its no different.

paintthrower00
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
can you use the rekluse with a hydrolic clutch? because there is no cable?

coryatver
08-18-2008, 10:24 PM
yes. why wouldn't it? will a stock clutch work with a hydro even though there is no cable? Yes. There has to be something mechanical that connects to the clutch arm at the end of the hydro cable.

man this is an old thread:eek:

elementryder
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
ive heard jason lawernce uses them!
would this be a good opition for mx?

mc_racer
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
My rekluse pro wouldn't work with my magura clutch. You need something that will hold an adjustment. With the magura, the springs in the rekluse would extend the clutch's slave cylinder to the ends of it's travel. Then when I went to use the clutch lever, I didn't have enough lever travel to completely disengage the clutch.
Hopefully that makes sense, but it didn't work for me. As far as the regular rekluse, I have no idea.

paintthrower00
08-22-2008, 07:19 PM
thanks alot i have the same clutch and i didnt think it would work eiether.

08-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mc_racer
My rekluse pro wouldn't work with my magura clutch. You need something that will hold an adjustment. With the magura, the springs in the rekluse would extend the clutch's slave cylinder to the ends of it's travel. Then when I went to use the clutch lever, I didn't have enough lever travel to completely disengage the clutch.
Hopefully that makes sense, but it didn't work for me. As far as the regular rekluse, I have no idea.

Will ASV lever work with a Magura clutch or no? Reason I ask is because I have a sponsorship with ASV which i intend on buying some F5 pro levers and then Magura sent me an offer for a sponsorship which I am very tempted to take but I kinda wanted ASV and nicer clutch pull

paintthrower00
08-22-2008, 09:43 PM
no i had asv levers before i got my clutch and it didnt fit so now i just a brke lever but when i get my rekluse iam going to put the asv back on. do you like your rekluse? is it a pain to adjust it?

mc_racer
08-22-2008, 09:48 PM
An ASV lever will work but it has to be one for a magura. I had one on mine, but didn't notice enough difference to justify the price.
Absolutely, I like my rekluse, adjustment is super easy, just set it up during install and it's good to go. I'll have one on any bike I plan to race.

paintthrower00
08-23-2008, 11:30 AM
i guess it will work if you have the right one lol. but a regular c5 doesnt work but yeah i agree my clutch lever works fine

86250rrider
08-23-2008, 08:23 PM
im not sure why you need a magura with a rekluse setup. unless this went off-topic. i run a asv with my rekluse and its like butter...even when you rev it up.

paintthrower00
08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
its not that we want to its that we already have those clutches and i dont have a rekluse yet i was just trying to find out if its possible so i dont have to get a nother clutch lever and cable when i get mine

86250rrider
08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
OH :D