PDA

View Full Version : Shock Question....a little different

PsychoDave
03-27-2002, 06:40 AM
I am looking to get new shocks.....But I have stock a arms and will upgrade at sometime in the future. I was looking for some ideas for what type of shocks to get. I have read so many threads and i am still confused. I want good shocks but i dont want to spend more than around 500. I weigh approx 195lbs. My main concern is that when i get extended a arms, I can get my shocks adjusted for the different travel... Any serious suggestions would be great.

Ps... I like to jump and am not afraid to go big!

Holty
03-27-2002, 07:52 AM
For around $500 or under you don't have alot of choices. I too am in the same boat as you and decided to go with the Elka's. I got the triple rate ssd's without the rezzie. I can't say how much I paid for them in respect to where I got them, but I can say they were around $500. You could also go with the Works shocks, and I believe you can get a triple rate with rezzy for around $500. That may be your best choice. Both shocks are adjustable for you a-arms when you get them. You'll just have to send them away and have them revalved. I know another guy on these forums "Rico" has the Works shocks and he likes them alot. He also likes to "go big" and they work reallly well for him. Keep readin the posts and make a educated decision. good luck.

03-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Psychodave,,what size A-arms will you be goin with when you get them,,,+1 +2 or +3???

440EXR
03-27-2002, 08:45 AM
We have 2 bike one we race MX the other XC we also didnt want to spend mega bucks on just shocks so we chose Works triple rates with compression adjustable rez. they were I think $589,00 we got them from Hytech atv they are listed in the links. They have the best prices I could find
The shocks perform very well, my son is the Mx racer and his shocks handle big air . and whoops just fine. I rode a 500 Suzuki the other day with elka shocks and I gotta say I didnt like the ride as well as mine. I think if you do what we did put a package together with good A-arms reasonable shocks a steering damper you will run just fine

JhallettEX
03-27-2002, 09:04 AM
Or you can get a piggy bank and start savin up your money for better shock, ya know, since you make so much. I got the TCS SCS, for all three they will run ya well over 1k but are worth the wait.

PsychoDave
03-27-2002, 10:15 AM
JhallettEX .....good one....i deserve it! I just cant see spending another grand on shocks

PsychoDave
03-27-2002, 10:17 AM
RICO.....prob +2....not sure though...i like to do wooks riding so not too wide

03-27-2002, 10:23 AM
The reason I asked is if you got works shocks for your stock arms now,,have them setup for a rider about 20 Lbs than you...then later you can get +1 arms,,which is a perfect solution for us track/trail riders...i put offset race rims on when at the track that pushes the front end out +2 and then when I go riding on trails I put the stocker tires back on to bring the front end width in so it's not so wide...now the good part,,,getting your shocks setup for a slightly heavier rider will allow you to add the +1 arms later and you don't have to do nothing to your shocks,,they'll mount up and work perfect,,,this is what I did and I'm happy with my choice to do it...PM me if you got any questions..:D

03-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 440EXR
We have 2 bike one we race MX the other XC we also didnt want to spend mega bucks on just shocks so we chose Works triple rates with compression adjustable rez. they were I think $589,00 we got them from Hytech atv they are listed in the links. They have the best prices I could find
The shocks perform very well, my son is the Mx racer and his shocks handle big air . and whoops just fine. I rode a 500 Suzuki the other day with elka shocks and I gotta say I didnt like the ride as well as mine. I think if you do what we did put a package together with good A-arms reasonable shocks a steering damper you will run just fine

The reason why the Suzuki didn't feel as good as your bike is b/c the way the frame is designed on the suzuki's. They have no rake to the front end and have to absorb all the impacts straight up instead of back like the honda's.

440EXR
03-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Thanks Roostin I wondered why it was so diifferent the guy that bought it thinks his shocks are screwed up I passed on the info to him he didnt know that either. Would setting up the shocks differently help smooth it out? what I mean is do they have to be set up for the geometry of that frame