PDA

View Full Version : dr.d problems

yfzboy
06-26-2004, 11:57 PM
i got the dr.d slip on for my yfz and a k&n filter with a pro design intake. I live at 6500 foot level and im running a 142 jet in it. It seems to skip really bad on the top end, it almost feels like its the timing. even in glamis it does the same thing. got any tips?

SRH
06-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by yfzboy
i got the dr.d slip on for my yfz and a k&n filter with a pro design intake. I live at 6500 foot level and im running a 142 jet in it. It seems to skip really bad on the top end, it almost feels like its the timing. even in glamis it does the same thing. got any tips?

thats not a dr d problem........ thats a jetting problem

xc400ex
06-28-2004, 07:02 PM
If it cuts out at full throttle your main jet is to rich.

86atc250r
06-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Or it's a rev-limiter problem. Some of my friends with YFZ's have complained about hitting the rev-limiter too early with an aftermarket pipe.

yfzboy
06-28-2004, 09:50 PM
so am i supposed to run the recomendations for the pipe or for the exhaust system? the jet kit is a quad works stage 2 kit. by the way is the main jet the one that is underneath the carb?

loons
06-29-2004, 04:42 PM
If you are running a 142 main jet, you are crazy. You need at least a 165 in that, and at least a 45 pilot. Is this jet kit like a dyno jet kit? Are the number different then regular keihin numbers? My bike did that when I put my pipe and intake on, and I had to buy a yz dirt bike needle. It cleaned it right up though. Try that.

Splatter Matter
06-29-2004, 04:42 PM
this should help you

http://www.bluetraxx.com/yfzracer/carb2.jpg

loons
06-29-2004, 04:43 PM
And yes the main jet is in the bottom. Take off the round access cap with a 17 mm socket, and your main and pilot will be right there. The pilot you can get with a straight screw driver, and the pilot you will need a small socket to get to.

loons
06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Splatter Matter
this should help you

http://www.bluetraxx.com/yfzracer/carb2.jpg

That is great, but i would not suggest taking the whole bowl off. Just use the access cap and there is no way to screw up. If you take the bowl off, some dudes are gonna change the starter jet. That is a no no!

Woody_YFZ
06-30-2004, 12:32 AM
At 6500 feet, I wouldn't touch the pilot jet. I changed mine to a 45 at 4500 feet and it didn't make any difference, possibly even made it a little worse, I'm going back to a 42. It definitely sounds like you are lean on your main jet though. I wouldn't go less than stock, even at your elevation. I am running a 165 and I also have the DR. D pipe.

chad cavagnaro
06-30-2004, 12:45 PM
yfz boy, did you move the clip on the needle? you should follow the directions on your kit and it should be right on.:D and if you ride in water, maybe think about settling for stage 1 instead of 2
i cannot keep water out of my airbox no matter what i do. except when running the lid. oh well thats just what i prefer for harescramble racing. myou might be a differnt type of rider. i havr dr.d, stock filter for now, and followed my instuctions on my jet kit and it is running great, i could get more power if stage 2 but that usually runs into more problems i dont want while racing. good luck

yfzboy
06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
thanks everyone for your tips and sujestions. im going to work on my bike. ill get back to you on the results i get. for now........RIDE ON!

Fibe Industries
07-05-2004, 01:32 PM
try to blow out your air line that goes to your cap. it might not be getting anogh air??