PDA

View Full Version : New 406 is crapping out need help!!!!

atvracr350
06-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Well right now i am in the process of breaking in my brand new 406 bore with an 11:1 wiseco piston and a stage 2 hotcam. I have ridden it for a total of about 25 minutes. When i first rode it i heard like a clanking/knocking noise coming from the engine on the left side. I think there is a possibility that is my chain hitting the guard thing. And it only happens every once in a while. What else could this be. Also when i crancked it up after riding for about 15 minutes i noticed a little black smoke coming from the exhaust. Is this normal for break in or should i be concerned? it wasn't much smoke just a very little bit right at the start up and then as soon as it started up good the smoke quit. Please help me i don't want to keep ridin it if it is messed up. Thanks alot.

DaveEX7
06-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Well once you bore an engine, you need to CHILLAX when breaking it in. Don't think a half hour is enough then you go tear up your neighbors' yard. Take it nice and easy not reving the engine to high for the first 3 days.. then gradually pick up the pace. But don't womp on the gas rite after 15 minutes..... it's like breaking in a brand new engine.

BIGRED400
06-26-2004, 08:41 PM
If it is black, it's your fuel more than likely,running rich or fat as some say,blue smoke is what you have to worry about,(rings,bearings,etc.):D The noise I would track down before I rode it too much:D

nakomis0
06-26-2004, 09:19 PM
If its just a little smoke I wouldn't worry much. The rings may still be seating.

The clanking noise, could be a problem. If its noticably real loud , I wouldn't drive the motor. I would open it up and fix it.

Is it the valves? They tick normally kinda loud if your paying attention to them. Could also be 1 or 2 are out of adjustment.

Chanman420q
06-26-2004, 11:26 PM
take it easy for the first 2 hours, then whomp on it, the rings seat in the first 15 mins anyways. so run em hard for that first 15 to seat them tightly. then be easy on it

Florida400EX
06-26-2004, 11:30 PM
check your rockers, and gap them correctly.