PDA

View Full Version : overheating or electrical prob on the predator

stock400ex
06-26-2004, 05:17 PM
i don't know whats up with it. seems like when i ride for about 30 minutes it loses all power and dies. no lights, no fan, nothing. i wait about 5 minutes and it will come back on. does anyone elses fan run awhile after you kill the engine? cuz mine runs about 3-5 minutes after i shut it off, sometimes longer. it has plenty of coolant. i've had it for about 10 months and i don't really ride that much. had a broken headlight bracket, a slash in my gas tank neck and now this :mad: :grr: :mad: :grr:

powerslider
06-26-2004, 07:57 PM
There is a circuit breaker behind the left side plastic in a black plastic pouch at the upper frame rail, check it for rust/corrosion. There have been some problems with the breaker, getting water in the pouch. I'd replace it, check your wiring harness over good, a short will cause the breaker to pop also...

TravEX
06-27-2004, 09:25 AM
dunno bout the elec prob, but my buddies new Dale Jr Pred's fan runs alot, and like you said for several minutes after he kills the motor,,,i doubt it's really getting hot, just takes a while to get the temp down to a level where the fan will kick off,,,later

RGERBER875
06-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Put some air scoops on the Pred. it really help mine. cheap mod.

stock400ex
06-27-2004, 05:51 PM
thanks guys. i will have to check that out

btw: where did you purchase the scoops?

powerslider
06-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Polaris has some radiator scoops, I got mine from PRM-ATV..

stock400ex
06-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by powerslider
There is a circuit breaker behind the left side plastic in a black plastic pouch at the upper frame rail, check it for rust/corrosion. There have been some problems with the breaker, getting water in the pouch. I'd replace it, check your wiring harness over good, a short will cause the breaker to pop also...

can you see it clearly without taking anything off or will i have to take the plastic off?

powerslider
06-27-2004, 07:55 PM
You have to remove the left black side panel (4 screws I think) the pouch is above the ignition coil zip tied to the top frame tube.
Cut a slit in the pouch so you can see the breaker....

stock400ex
06-27-2004, 07:58 PM
You have to remove the left black side panel (4 screws I think) the pouch is above the ignition coil zip tied to the top frame tube.
Cut a slit in the pouch so you can see the breaker....

so get some waterproof super glue or something to seal it back up? and if a circuit was broke would it come back on?

powerslider
06-28-2004, 10:40 AM
A circuit breakers function is to reset unlike a blown fuse fuse. The breaker protects the circuit from excessive current draw like a fuse. If the breaker contacts are corroded this can cause excessive current draw and the breaker will open up, you have no power on that circuit until the breaker resets after it cools a few minutes. This may keep repeating until you correct the problem. You can tape the pouch back up, it's better for water to be able to drain out than it is for it to accumulate there damaging the breaker.

stock400ex
06-28-2004, 01:24 PM
A circuit breakers function is to reset unlike a blown fuse fuse. The breaker protects the circuit from excessive current draw like a fuse. If the breaker contacts are corroded this can cause excessive current draw and the breaker will open up, you have no power on that circuit until the breaker resets after it cools a few minutes. This may keep repeating until you correct the problem. You can tape the pouch back up, it's better for water to be able to drain out than it is for it to accumulate there damaging the breaker.

ahh yes. i think i do remember hearing a click when it comes back on. i just hope the fix is this easy:) thanks man. i will get back at you after i work on it

Braff1
06-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Something else to check is the plug wire were it comes through frame. I have heard of them chaffing and grounding out on the frame.

The air scoops work wonders. Another thing you might look at is either using water wetter or engine ice. Something to remember is that water wetter cools better but has no antifreeze properties where engine ice cools better than regular antifreeze but has antifreeze properties.