PDA

View Full Version : Question for Honda Rancher owners...

Foxyangel0425
06-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Since day one we have had problems with getting our 4x4 2002 Rancher to start and stay at idel. Do you have the same problems? I play with it in snow and mudd....but we always make sure to clean it/dry it before we put it away.

HondaRancherES
06-26-2004, 02:09 PM
My 2002 Rancher ES 2x4 never idled right from day 1. Me being the dummy I never said anything about it until I got rid of it. Now my 2003 Rancher ES 4x4 is a different story. It has ideled and ran right since day 1. Maybe we got lemons.

TheFontMaster
06-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Mabey the 2002 and older ones ahd the jetting a little off. My friend has an 04 rancher 4x4 and it starts and idles great.

Punk'd
06-27-2004, 12:50 AM
My rancher 2x4 sucks at starting period best advise for mine is dont touch the gas! goodluck

hondarider2006
06-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Took my gf's rancher in a couple weeks ago for a tune up...I believe its an '03 and when she got it back, it was a ***** to start and keep running when it was cold. Turned the idle up and now its fine:)

ATVGurl
06-27-2004, 10:59 AM
My '02 Rancher ES 4x4 had the same problem. After the starting, though, it ran great. It made a big difference to run the different spark plug (according to the manual) for below 41*F, and to use the primer button before attempting to start. In the warmer weather I didn't have too much of a problem, but every once in a while I did have to play with the idle.

Foxyangel0425
06-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by HondaRancherES
My 2002 Rancher ES 2x4 never idled right from day 1. Me being the dummy I never said anything about it until I got rid of it. Now my 2003 Rancher ES 4x4 is a different story. It has ideled and ran right since day 1. Maybe we got lemons.

I to didn't know any better....this is my first quad and my husband has a used 300 he bought off some kid. My first ride was in the deep snow and than when there was open ground i played in the mud (not a big hill person)..LOL I didn't want to take it back to the honda dealership and pay out the wazu for maintance.

Also, we take ours to the track in case he breaks and i gotta tow the car back, we aren't in the lanes long and I run back to our camp site, and when i go to turn it on and leave it stalls and its 85 + on that track!! We haven't been riding in a while and we always make sure to turn them on and let them run etc. and even than it just stalls out it idels really nice and than blah blablah blah blahhhhhhh and its dead. Start it up and same thing. I gotta keep plug up so it stays at idel.

I guess you and I did get lemons. Is there a website that maybe we can write to Honda and ask them about this?

Foxyangel0425
06-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ATVGurl
My '02 Rancher ES 4x4 had the same problem. After the starting, though, it ran great. It made a big difference to run the different spark plug (according to the manual) for below 41*F, and to use the primer button before attempting to start. In the warmer weather I didn't have too much of a problem, but every once in a while I did have to play with the idle.

We drag race and I take my rancher to the track with us in case he breaks and i gotta run down and tow him back, and even in 85 + degree weather it doesn't want to stay at idle or even stay on...it will just blah blah blah blah...die! Mornings are always cold at the track too and thats when its really bad. We gotta hold the plug to keep it at idle.

Rip_Tear
06-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Just curious here, so it even idles bad when you have the choke on? My "rancher" is a little old, and I have problems with its idle when I first start it up if I don't have the choke on for the first little bit, then it runs fine... And you are doing like regular cleaning of the air filter and such, because this can create a bad idle.

HondaRancherES
06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
I did everthing to my 2002 and it never ran right at idle. Even adjusted the valves and nothing.

Foxyangel0425
06-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it will turn on fine and than go blahb blabh blabh die. Than i would have to re-start it and than it will sometimes die again. Its done that since day one. I am going to check the air cleaner etc. as u suggested....if not bye bye rancher!

06-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Foxyangel0425
Yeah, it will turn on fine and than go blahb blabh blabh die. Than i would have to re-start it and than it will sometimes die again. Its done that since day one. I am going to check the air cleaner etc. as u suggested....if not bye bye rancher! if its a big problem to wear you wanna sell it what makes you think someone will want to buy it if they see it has starting issues...thats usually the first thing people wanna do is hear it start up & idle