PDA

View Full Version : time for a 250R

PDunes300ex
03-26-2002, 09:44 PM
I need advice on what to look for in a 250R. I'm only 10 minutes away from pismo so dune riding is all i do. After riding with only banshees for the last two months its time to step up. I don't want a banshee so i figured a 250R would be the way to go. How much am i looking to spend for a 250R that'll keep up with my friends banshees? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

300ex is great but i gotta face the sad truth...it's no dune machine

03-26-2002, 09:48 PM
if you like dunes and want a 4 stroke you could get a ds 650. i really don't know much on the 250r dune setup and i don't think to many people on this site run 250rs in the dunes.

twisted threads
03-27-2002, 04:50 AM
what to look for you ask? It matters what you want to do with it and how much money you want to put into these great atvs? I have a 89 250r with stock cylinder bored .40 over, ported, 39mm pwk keihin carb, milled head, v-force delta reed cage, k&n air filter, fmf gold series pipe and fmf turbine core II silencer. Its not a drag bike but it will hold its owen but for playing around it will keep up with ANY banshee. If you dont want to put money into it I would look for one that is already has some mods but that will cost ya. All years are good but I would get a 88 or 89 but that is just me. If you put a big bore on one of these things it will eat up banshees for lunch!! I have seen it done over and over. My buddy has a 350 powervalve and it ROCKS!!! That is what I am saving up for next. The 330 by ESR is a great bolt on for around $900-$1200 I think. There are so many motor combos out there I dont have time to go into them but even my stock cylinder 250r runs great and I like my R 10x (well maybe not that much!!) 3x better than my 440ex. Hope I didn't confuse you to much.
RIDE RED!!:D

PDunes300ex
03-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Loved the info. How much am i looking to spend for a nicely set up R. I ride the dunes but not for drags or comp hill. My friends and i usually just search for terrain to make Dune MX tracks. Are there any known problems to look for in a used R. Plus an R can still be ridden in the summer cause they get green stickers unlike newer two strokes that get banned in June. As to the earlier post about a DS650, im over four-strokes for the time being. I like the two-stroke seat of the pants feeling.

Need a list of good mods on an R also.
Thanks again all....please keep it coming.

Nausty
03-27-2002, 01:48 PM
You will probably spend anywhere to 2800-3500 for a r in decent-good shape and more if its got a lot of mods for mx racing.

twisted threads
03-27-2002, 03:06 PM
I got my 250r for $2700 but I went through the whole bike bolt by bolt because you get what you pay for and it was in need of some TLC. I like messing around with my Quads but if you dont I would buy one that is nice already. Also you need to look for cracks in the frame around the welds and motor mounts. Mine had a cracked motor mount and I had to fix it. For a nice set up you are looking at $4000 and up.

03-27-2002, 03:29 PM
that 2stroke bannin thing, i dont thinks gunna float, shees, and everything could die, 2 strokes keep 4s goin, they like need each other, if u ask me, those treehuggin losers can kiss my butt, thats wat i hink