PDA

View Full Version : info on the trx/yfz please

michael meyers
06-25-2004, 08:28 PM
im looking to be buying a 2004 trx/yfz by next week, i have heard that both quads have had their share of problems. i have read all the comparison " which quad is better " all the stuff like that. im leaning more towards the trx, mostly because so many more people have the yfz than the trx... but, if you all could post your problems w/your quads if you've had any. thanks a lot:)

#1speedbump
06-25-2004, 08:36 PM
What problems are people having with their TRX's that you've heard of? I personally havent heard of any and I havent had any problems either.

michael meyers
06-25-2004, 09:40 PM
i should have said that differently, i meant "i have heard that the yfz has had some problems, has anyone had any problems w/their trx's that i should know about before i go out + buy one"

brazilian rider
06-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Not a single problem here.
I have a YFZ

joe1l
06-25-2004, 09:50 PM
I've had my TRX since early march and have put many hours on it, and have to say that I really am pleased with it. The only thing I can tell you is that you will need to change your oil often. The biggest problem / flaw that trx had IMO is the rear shock/linkage setup. It works well in woods but is quite hoppy over whoops. But there is a fix for it from GT Thunder, new linkage and shock revalve that fixes the problem ($250). Oh yes lets not forget to NOT HIT THE THROTTLE WHEN KICKSTARTING IT!!! Other than that the quad is great and most of all its fun!! Good luck with your purchase, trust me you won't regret it!:D

tkwarrior
06-25-2004, 11:38 PM
No problems here with my TRX.

06-26-2004, 12:44 AM
my exhaust shield header bolt came off yesterday but if thats the worst that happens then I wont be upset

sparky450AR
06-26-2004, 12:46 AM
There both awesome qauds!!!!

Blue or Red?????

JWhite
06-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Had a YFZ, never had a problem with mine. Bought a TRX after one ride on a TRX and then sold the YFZ.

Personally, I like the engine much better on the TRX. I didn't really care for the idea that the YFZ is a mid to top machine after having the pleasure to ride the TRX. With the TRX it's all there from idle on up. You have to ride the YFZ more like a Banshee if you want to get the power out of it. Also comfort was a big factor.

As far as problems, some people have had problems with both. Seems the Honda has had much less problems though. Go check www.yfzcentral.com and look at all the problems. It's there in black and white. I guess I was just lucky and got one of the good ones when I had mine.

I guess it depends on your style and needs. Both machines have thier place.

michael meyers
06-26-2004, 10:54 AM
thanks for the info guys...i think im going to go w/the trx :D

06-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by michael meyers
thanks for the info guys...i think im going to go w/the trx :D yyAAAAAyyyy

loons
06-26-2004, 12:30 PM
I have had absolutely no problems with my yfz. My brother owns a trx and both are awesome bikes. I'd say if you were strictly doing mx, you may want to lean towards the yfz just because the cheap bolt ons add a little more noticable power. But the trx can be made into asn awesome mx machine as well. But for the comfort /overall trail riding and a bit of everything else, I'd say the trx is a great bike. The yfz is good for that, but it is ridden like a two stroke.

Some problems people have had with the 04 yfz(all the problems have been fixed for the 05 model)

1. water pump seal leak. (the seal has been revised and fixed)
2. Decomp plug blows out. ( the plug isn't even there on the 05 model)
3. Hard seat..not even really a problem. (fixed for the 05. Softer seat)
4. Battery problems. (also fixed for the 05)

reallly small things that are no longer issues.

Both bikes are great. The trx had some first year problems as well, but I'm sure they will be fixed. It all comes down to if you want red or blue/white.

michael meyers
06-26-2004, 01:00 PM
thanks loons, you helped a lot. what kind of first year problems do you know of that the trx had??? thanks mike

TRX450R2
06-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Yes ,what kind of problems on the trx! I just completed a 6 hour xcountry race and got beaten by one other quad to the finish? Yes it was another TRX! Happy ridin Michael.

tkwarrior
06-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
Yes ,what kind of problems on the trx! I just completed a 6 hour xcountry race and got beaten by one other quad to the finish? Yes it was another TRX! Happy ridin Michael.

He is talking about cosmetic stuff. The rear shock is the biggest issue but nothing on the R has caused it to be unrideable like the YFZ problems.

Congrats on taking 2nd in your race.

michael meyers
06-27-2004, 11:30 AM
hey guys, i was just wondering if any one knew of any dealers around the illinois area or states surrounding illinois that are going to have any 05 trx's. i want to get an 05, and i know of a couple dealers that have 05 yfz's, but no 05 trx's, so if anyone can help me out w/that. thanks mike

BYRD-MAN
06-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Dude if you ask a trx owner a trx questionn their going to say their bike is better. The best thing for you to is go out and ride them both yourself. You are the one bying the bike not them.

michael meyers
06-27-2004, 02:42 PM
i know that, but i dont know anyone that owns any of these quads, other wise i would know which one to get.

Greg Z
06-28-2004, 01:20 AM
heh iv been to a lot of races lately on the MX track and Iv been seeing 450rs tearing YFZ's a new hole!!!!! so far all the races iv been to locally(expert and amaeture) the 450r has come out first place... all the YFZ's are behind it but then again

Its all about rider ability... Depends if you like the feel of a 2 stroke power (which i dont AT ALL!!) or you want smooth power so you dont get tired when your out racing

I rather have a 450r

but i would take either or

TRX450R2
06-28-2004, 02:46 AM
Cheers tkwarrior, and I did have a small problem when I went backwards down a greasy hill and tipped over! I bent the steering shaft and had to straighten it after the race but it didn't do any other damage, but I would like to buy a chromoly shaft and I have now fitted renthals as well(400ex bend) They feel great!

sparky450AR
06-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by michael meyers
hey guys, i was just wondering if any one knew of any dealers around the illinois area or states surrounding illinois that are going to have any 05 trx's. i want to get an 05, and i know of a couple dealers that have 05 yfz's, but no 05 trx's, so if anyone can help me out w/that. thanks mike

You may be smart getting the 05, because there may be some fixes that noone knows about. But i think its gonna be awesome for the 450R and YFZ 2004 owners. I know in 10 years these bikes will be as legendary as the 250R. And it will just be cool to have the very first year.

Woody_YFZ
06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
I have had three YFZ's and two TRX's. They are both excellent quads. I think the bike for you is more dependant upon your riding style. I prefer the YFZ, it's a fact that I am faster on it and it feels more comfortable to me. I ride about 60% mx and 40% dunes. As far as problems, I had to replace the impeller shaft and seals on the water pump on the first YFZ after about 100 hours. I have had absolutely no problems with any of the others. I have noticed that the Honda plastic is a cheap plastic and scratches very easy, but nothing to whine about. Good luck on your decision.

r450rr
06-30-2004, 01:02 AM
its cheap, but its cheap to replace