PDA

View Full Version : Predator motor grenaded......

QuadJunkies
06-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Well, we have to motor taken off now and boy....... is it a mess!!!!!:(:(:(

First thing you found was head pipe studs wer ebent from being overtightened, the top motor mount was gouged out from not being tightened, one oil line going to the clutch side had no clamp holding it on and only one out of two head pipe gaskets were in it and a kinda silicone type of substance was in the mid pipe to seal it up because the headpipe wasnt lined up right because it was missing the gasket and one motor mount by the oil Res. was falling off from not being tightened enough.......

Then........5 teeth broke off the oil pump gear entire motor full of shavings....

this may not be all of what Doug Nicholas may find before its all over ......Were expecting the piston,cylinder,clutch,Bottom Rod Bearing and crank bearing behind the flywheel and maybe even the crank will be gone too....will need to be replaced...This is what happens when "someone" does your work for you and obviously doesnt have a clue or covers up shotty work......now its at our expense to have it rebuilt.......I at least have all the faith in Doug that it will finally run the way it used to run ..Too bad its
at my ole mans expense and his series is now shot for the summer....;(

Ill post a pic in a minute of the teeth missing.......

sly400ex
06-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Ouch! You may be better off just buying a whole new motor!!!:o

JDiablo
06-25-2004, 07:59 PM
that really sux Qj,there is no way you can do anything about it to the person who installed all the crap wrong....and that is a pretty penny to.....man that has to suk...good luck with it:(

montyjcm
06-25-2004, 08:03 PM
That really sucks. Was it a shop that installed it?

QuadJunkies
06-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm
That really sucks. Was it a shop that installed it? yuppers........:mad: we may try and go that route... I do have an Ext. Warrenty we will know more when the Co. were sending it to has a chance to split the motor in half........

QuadJunkies
06-25-2004, 08:11 PM
isnt this attractive.....:rolleyes: 5 teething ground into small pieces.....:grr:

QuadJunkies
06-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
that really sux Qj,there is no way you can do anything about it to the person who installed all the crap wrong....and that is a pretty penny to.....man that has to suk...good luck with it:( Cant do much to a mechanic who done your whole years labor for free for rider support.......:(

Thats the crap part about it too......It ran great until he done stuff to the Valces and timing ect.......Then slowly but surely its been starting to fade.....Im wishing we had sent it off to have the work done to it now.....:confused:

QuadJunkies
06-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Ouch! You may be better off just buying a whole new motor!!!:o I cant say too much about it right now but, the Co. were sending it off to said we will be taken care of.......:D I hope that is a good thing!!!

ID-YFZracer-BE
06-25-2004, 08:15 PM
noooooooo big brother not racing is terrible i hope u fix it.

JDiablo
06-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Cant do much to a mechanic who done your whole years labor for free for rider support.......:(

Thats the crap part about it too......It ran great until he done stuff to the Valces and timing ect.......Then slowly but surely its been starting to fade.....Im wishing we had sent it off to have the work done to it now.....:confused:

ahh dat does suk....good luck QJ:)

SRH
06-26-2004, 10:27 AM
id sell it when u get it back together and get a 450

TC426EX
06-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SRH
id sell it when u get it back together and get a 450

I agree...

Ryan
06-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear :( . I hope the shop that did the work pays for the costs to get it fixed.

06-26-2004, 12:22 PM
i say get extended warranty wait a month then go take it in and get it replaced

QuadJunkies
06-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by SRH
id sell it when u get it back together and get a 450 trust me ...if if was pd off.....I would..........:(

Im not positive but, I have a good feeling that the Warrenty is going to pay for a new motor

If not, Doug will blue print the whole motor and add another 14 HP to it while he has it......

:D Troy has REALLY loved his Predator up until the mess ups the mechainc has done to it........But he REALLY loves that YFZ too:cool:

QuadJunkies
06-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Overkillkfx400
i say get extended warranty wait a month then go take it in and get it replaced We have had the Ext. Warrenty for a year now...;)

QuadJunkies
06-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Sorry to hear :( . I hope the shop that did the work pays for the costs to get it fixed. they arent going to pay a dime.....But Troys other sponsor is going to help him out a lot......;)

86350x
06-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Polaris will probrably send you a new motor, if you sent in the old one. They are really good about that stuff.

Most polaris dealers will even warrenty snowmobiles after modifications are made.

QuadJunkies
06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
Polaris will probrably send you a new motor, if you sent in the old one. They are really good about that stuff.

Most polaris dealers will even warrenty snowmobiles after modifications are made. So far Polaris has been really good about taking care of issues......;) I wish I knkew where he started goin wrong with all the mechanical failrues.I knlw its been about 2 months when we started noticing power fading.....the Mechanic wanted us to bring it back to him so he couls slpit the case and see what may have went wrong....:huh Im like"I dont think so!!":eek2: its shipping out today to Ohio, I should no more in a few days.........

400exdad
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I hate to hear that, but that reinforces why I do all my own work. Most folks just pretend to be experts. :rolleyes: The ONLY time I ever let someone look at my car, (ECM was bad, but I wasn't 100% sure) they crashed it... and it should have been totalled. Good Luck.

QuadJunkies
06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
I hate to hear that, but that reinforces why I do all my own work. Most folks just pretend to be experts. :rolleyes: The ONLY time I ever let someone look at my car, (ECM was bad, but I wasn't 100% sure) they crashed it... and it should have been totalled. Good Luck. the motor would have been in really bad shape if we done the work ourselves....:o The timing and Valves was way over our head.. on most of the other things all the work on the other 3 quads of ours the work is done ourselves also.;) Its hard to me too mad at the guy who volunteered all his labor and many hours and alot of parts for free to help Troy out with his racing season....We will still cont. to do business with him, just not the labor.......:p

400exdad
06-28-2004, 12:29 PM
QJ, I'm not bashing you by any means, but sometimes you get what you pay for. :) I'm glad that you guys are still friends. A friend let a guy do some tranny and motor work on his quad.... (for a cheap price) only problem, while the guy was working on it, he was also indulging in his addiction. Needless to say, there were several items that had to be re-tightened after the motor was run for awhile... one of which was the clutch basket and I seem to remember a timing gear.

QuadJunkies
06-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
QJ, I'm not bashing you by any means, but sometimes you get what you pay for. :) .
Boy you got that right.!! And sometimes you pay for MORE and get jacked!!!:grr: Im dealing with a case of that right now.......

YLW400
06-28-2004, 12:32 PM
that sucks, bad....:(

dirtmomma
06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Dang this really sucks hate to hear/see that happen :( hope you guys get it worked out though I'm sure he'll be up & goin again in no time :) guess he'll be racing yours huh ;)

QuadJunkies
06-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
guess he'll be racing yours huh ;) Yuppers......:D :macho

86350x
06-29-2004, 01:15 AM
I still think that if you sent it in, they will replace it. Especially if you have an extended warrenty. My bro just got an xc800, had the head milled, put in v-force reeds, hot seat pipe, y pipe, and there clutch kit, and still will have a warrenty on the motor 2 seasons from now. I don't know of any other company that would do that.

Once that's up, time for some porting:D

A bunch of polarises hand granaded up in nunavalt (canada) do to bad gas(gas company's fault), some of em were 2 years old. But polaris still paid for all of the rebuilds. I'm sure that service will carry over to atv's.

QuadJunkies
07-08-2004, 10:39 AM
WEll.Its bad news just as I thought......EVERYTHING is gone :cracked head, Bottom rod,Crank,oil bearing, even the d@mn Carb looks like the guy who done the work to it to make it this way must have dropped the Carb the last time he worked on it and chipped a piece of it off!!!!! Im so mad and sad at the same time it had me all choked up yesterday.Sucks to take such pride in something, all that hard work to keep a machine running good and then this happens...Looks like the series is done on the Predator for now..... We are in the process of trying to get it warrentied otherwise...Were chit out of luck.The Bottom Rod is where most of the damage started to go wrong,just alot of things didnt get looked at,overlooked and just plain negligant on the mechanic end at our cost..:( If it get warrentied, Doug Nicholas will be the ONLY one to touch his bike from now on. Wish us luck !!! Hopefully Ill find out more in the next week.... I feel soooo bad for Troy.... I hope hes up and running for Nationals in Sept.. :(

dirtmomma
07-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Damn guys that really SUCKS!!! I wouldn't let anyone touch it ever again :grr: hope he gets it up & runnin for Nats GOOD LUCK!!

Shawn H
07-08-2004, 12:09 PM
1st of all sorrry to hear about your motor:(

My first thought was ok he fudged some on the head pipes not that big a deal. 2nd I get to the the 5 teeth broken on the oil pump and I cant see how the heck the mechanic could have done that? 3rd Because of the teeth missing has to be why the rest of the engine is junk.
4th how could he have dropped the carb on the floor if all the cables are hooked up and all I dont know to many people who take it completely off to work on the engine.Usually they take the carb off and lay it to the side,but everyones different.

I dont know all of the story but being a certified Diesel mechanic myself. There is no way possible he could have done that to the oil pump gear unless he dropped something in there,or its a defect. Since the other gear on there is not broken from something being dropped and rode around the gear I would have to say its a defect or poor qualitly gear.

This is all from what I have seen pics of and read and its just my opinion. I have no problem tearing down my motor and have lots of expierence (sp) but am not a pro and do it all the time. I just wonder if its all the mech's fault?

GOOD LUCK
Hope your up and racing soon.
Shawn

QuadJunkies
07-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm

My first thought was ok he fudged some on the head pipes not that big a deal. 2nd I get to the the 5 teeth broken on the oil pump and I cant see how the heck the mechanic could have done that? 3rd Because of the teeth missing has to be why the rest of the engine is junk.
4th how could he have dropped the carb on the floor if all the cables are hooked up and all I dont know to many people who take it completely off to work on the engine.Usually they take the carb off and lay it to the side,but everyones different.

I dont know all of the story but being a certified Diesel mechanic myself. There is no way possible he could have done that to the oil pump gear unless he dropped something in there,or its a defect. Since the other gear on there is not broken from something being dropped and rode around the gear I would have to say its a defect or poor qualitly gear.

This is all from what I have seen pics of and read and its just my opinion. I have no problem tearing down my motor and have lots of expierence (sp) but am not a pro and do it all the time. I just wonder if its all the mech's fault?

GOOD LUCK
Hope your up and racing soon.
Shawn Trust me.. ITs ALL mechanics Fault....... There is sooo many little things this guys missed or covered up....The Bottom Rod was predicted was going out beofre all this happened,we noticed alot of power loss going out gradually the head apparently had been cracked for a LONG time and had gone w/o notice if he had cracked it open like he said he did when checking things over, he would have sen that so that there tells me he lied about what all work he had done and checked over....
Basically ANYTHING that was anything was messed up or out of whack, the perosn who inspected it knows more than anyone else I can think of when it comes to this machine and he was in AWE when he saw all the damage.This machine ran perfect until he started dinkin with it,then it slowly went to pot....:mad:

QuadJunkies
07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm

4th how could he have dropped the carb on the floor if all the cables are hooked up and all I dont know to many people who take it completely off to work on the engine. Hope your up and racing soon.
Shawn

He was the last one to take the Carb off. We havent personally taken it off to Rejet since Winter......

I just found out yesterday ,a new young kid was in the shop helping do work on it too. Our mechanic confirmed he done some of the work and hes not even certified?!!!!:grr: :mad:

SGA
07-08-2004, 12:52 PM
SOrry to read about your engine. Good luck with it.

Shawn H
07-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Ahh I see I thought by your post that all he was doing was some valve work,and timing.
If he was supposed to tear her down and inspect everything and didnt I AGREE his fault.

Still Sorry to hear.:(