PDA

View Full Version : Were u born before 1985?

Foxyangel0425
06-25-2004, 02:15 PM
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were
kids in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early 80's,
probably
shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors, or
cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a
special
treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it,
but
we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one
actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode
down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us
all
day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at
all,
no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal
cell
phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were
no
lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame
but
us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned
to
get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told
it
would happen, we did not put out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or
rang
the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't
had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and
were
held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or
broke
a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the school or the
law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
solvers, and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility --- and we
learned
how to deal with it.

And you're one of them!
Congratulations.

Please pass this on to others who were blessed to grow up as "kids"
before lawyers and government regulated our lives "for our own good"
!!!

stiffy
06-25-2004, 02:55 PM

I was born in 81 and this is all so true. And I still drink out of a hose everyday at the barn or my house

Punk'd
06-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Dont forget about the raw eggs:rolleyes:

Chanman420q
06-25-2004, 04:53 PM
seems like life was a lot more fun back then. and altho may seem ruffer, was prolly easier. i know there a couple kids id like to go scuff up but dont want mommys lawyer knockin on my door

250rmike
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
i was born in 86 but did most of those things dont know about the lead based paint though i cant remember imagine that:rolleyes:

roostin_dale
06-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Foxyangel0425
no 99 channels on cable

I have cable and I don't get 99 channels:mad: where do they get there info at?

jaspurx
06-25-2004, 05:21 PM
That is all fine and dandy , but acording to those same scources we should not ride atv`s , or drive over their speed limits either.
Those are the people that would like us to go to work , pay our taxes , mow our lawns , and spend the rest of our time living in a bubble.
I would prefer those people to get a life , and keep their collective noses out of mine!

quadracer511
06-25-2004, 05:30 PM
hell i was born in 87 drink outa the garden hose butother than that yea unfirtunatley lawyers came around for the rest of everything id never sue ne one if it was an accident they ruin it for everyone

deathman53
06-25-2004, 05:42 PM
I have cable and have 300+ channels, people back then were way different than today, if you did something you weren't supposed to you got and were caught you got a beating from the cops and then your parents, that was when my dad was growing up. If you got hurt, you went to the hospital then home, instead of today go to the lawyer before they go home.

What really gets me is all you hear now is "fat free", low calorie", "cutting carbs", I would like these so-called nutruitionists explain why when I was growing up, there wasn't a think such as low fat food, low calarie, and there wasn't anywhere near as many fat people.

TC426EX
06-25-2004, 06:20 PM
I was born in '82 and I am mentally retarded from eating paint chips off my crib...

Rip_Tear
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I was born in '82 and I am mentally retarded from eating paint chips off my crib...

lmao! Its funny how things work. All those youngin's don't know what they are missing :p

bluebaron
06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by stiffy

I was born in 81 and this is all so true. And I still drink out of a hose everyday at the barn or my house
same here, tho im not that old

Mr.Offroad
06-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Let's just say I was 3 years old when that Falcon was built. We drink from garden hoses all the time.(green ones, even) We raise our own beef, eat it rare, and don't get e-coli. When my kids were 12, they were allowed to drive the pickup the last mile to home. And me and my buds rode street bike for hundreds of miles in the desert without helmets. Yet we're alive. Go figure. you mean we don't need the government to save us from ourselves?:rolleyes:

diesel-mech
06-26-2004, 01:24 AM
My wife and I got bicycles (her idea to loose weight:rolleyes: not like she needs to she 140lbs and looks great) anyway she was looking at helmets and asked which one I wanted? NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I WORN A HELMET ON A BIKE UNLESS I WAS RACING BMX!!!!! I said He!! NO. I rode a zillion miles on a bike as a kid and I am still alive. I've wrecked on every possible kind of turf, been cut, scraped, bruised, scared and stitched up again! Here is a thought to all the peddlin new round town cruisers. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR DOING!!!!:eek: when a car is coming GET OUT OF THE WAY! your doing 10mph! Common sense says that car can kill you don't mess around! I'll bet that ends 90% of all deadly bicycle crashes:macho

By the way I was born in 1973 our family car was a 1966 IH scout with a school bus seat chopped down and welded in the back. No seat belts to be found.:blah:

redroost85
06-26-2004, 01:36 PM
My old man always tells me I'm living on borrowed time...maybe this is why.:p

sandthrower
06-27-2004, 06:52 AM
I was born in 74 and when I went to school we never worried about some kid going in and shooting us ,it was a big deal if we had a little knife.
I had 2 channels 5 and 3 ,a atari with the box for the man and ping pong.:rolleyes:
there were places to ride quads without cutting fences to get in and out running PIGS .Now there isn't no were to ride without ? the person who owens it if you can ride there (:cuss: POSTED:mad: )

Times suck right now THANKS to ALL them A S S H O L E:macho

jaspurx
06-29-2004, 08:51 PM
The baby boomer generation/our parents generation had to be the ones to mess this country up while we were still in diapers! If these "problems" developed before we had a chance to beat some sense into the bandwagon whiners , they had to be older!
The woodstocker generation fried their brains , then decided that drugs were bad , and should be illegal!:eek2:

I declare lawyers and judges unconstitutional , based on the evidence that they infringe on my rights to life , liberty , and the pursuit of happiness! Furthermore , there were a lot more places to RIDE when I was a kid!

diesel-mech
06-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by jaspurx
The baby boomer generation/our parents generation had to be the ones to mess this country up while we were still in diapers! If these "problems" developed before we had a chance to beat some sense into the bandwagon whiners , they had to be older!
The woodstocker generation fried their brains , then decided that drugs were bad , and should be illegal!:eek2:

I declare lawyers and judges unconstitutional , based on the evidence that they infringe on my rights to life , liberty , and the pursuit of happiness! Furthermore , there were a lot more places to RIDE when I was a kid!

I got to thinking about this and I think our generation it the problem! The kidnappers, the pedofilers(sp), most of the lowlife freaks out there are our age.:eek2: Thats not a warm fuzzy feeling to me anyway:grr: Little kids are to be taught by us not abused!!!!!:mad: I'ld like to slap some sense into all the freaks out there

zephead400ex
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
I was born in 1982. I was born about 30-35 years too late. However, there are perks for when I was born. I got to miss Vietnam, enough said.

The generation we have now (so called Generation X) is messed up. They have no idea what respect is. They have no idea what hard work and dedication is. They wan't everything handed to them. They take individualism to the most extreme levels, to the point where they infringe on others. Thus, lack of respect. I support indivudualism but I respect other people.

The day needs to be here when the parents of child who only causes problems should be able to discipline their child and not get charged w/ child abuse. This is partly the cause of our generations social problems - no discipline. Society has made it immoral to discipline your child. I will not beat my kid, my parents were beat as kids, probably like a lot of people on this board. Abuse and discipline - HUGE difference.

This kind of reminds me how people are throwing huge fits about some prisoners getting "mistreated" in the Iraq prisons. GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK! THESE *******S ARE BLOWING UP OUR SOLDIERS WITH IED, REMOTELY SET OFF BY CELL PHONES ALONG WITH MANY OTHER CHICKENSH*T TACTICS!!!

I hate the society we live in. I'm going to crawl in a whole w/ a cd player, all my Zep cd's, and just chill!:)

Sorry for the rant .

Jackie
06-30-2004, 11:53 AM
How about the home made fireworks.. I still have all my fingers..:blah:

PHAT400
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
I remember being able to stay out until the street light's came on..... :eek2: How cool. Being able to ride up and down the street to get to the trails without anyone being bothered. Man that was great. Getting off the bus @ the 1 kid's house 10 doors down and being able to walk home without anyone abducting us.
:( Man I miss those day's. My son has no idea how cool it was...

:cool:

madmac
06-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
I was born in 1982. I was born about 30-35 years too late. However, there are perks for when I was born. I got to miss Vietnam, enough said.

The generation we have now (so called Generation X) is messed up. They have no idea what respect is. They have no idea what hard work and dedication is. They wan't everything handed to them. They take individualism to the most extreme levels, to the point where they infringe on others. Thus, lack of respect. I support indivudualism but I respect other people.

The day needs to be here when the parents of child who only causes problems should be able to discipline their child and not get charged w/ child abuse. This is partly the cause of our generations social problems - no discipline. Society has made it immoral to discipline your child. I will not beat my kid, my parents were beat as kids, probably like a lot of people on this board. Abuse and discipline - HUGE difference.

This kind of reminds me how people are throwing huge fits about some prisoners getting "mistreated" in the Iraq prisons. GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK! THESE *******S ARE BLOWING UP OUR SOLDIERS WITH IED, REMOTELY SET OFF BY CELL PHONES ALONG WITH MANY OTHER CHICKENSH*T TACTICS!!!

I hate the society we live in. I'm going to crawl in a whole w/ a cd player, all my Zep cd's, and just chill!:)

Sorry for the rant .
a famous musician (charlie daniels) said it best. "we as americans have taken discipline away from the parents and schools as well as taking god and jesus out of schools and now "by God" we are paying for it"

diesel-mech
06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
As a kid I got my butt whipped every single day! No Joke, EVERY DAY! Now that may sound really bad but I can tell you that there were only 2 times that I didnot deserve it. Yes I remember the 2 times well. Did that tramatize me? :rolleyes: Please! Thats a pretty good ratio. (I would leave the house and not tell anyone where I was going, I'ld get home when I got bored) I am closer to my parents than most poeple have ever been to theirs and I respect them for how they raised me. I'm not greedy, I don't cheat poeple, and I would gladdly do without something so someone else thats less fortunate has a chance to be happy. Some of you respect that and others think I'm BSing. Those of you that think I'm BSing, I'm sorry you feel that way. Try giving to the less fortunate! Its a good feeling.;)

hondafox440
06-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Thats because people these days are too overprotective.

400grl
07-01-2004, 10:24 AM
I was born in 1971 - I remember having to get up to change the channel - I remember some shows were still in black and white - I remember running out at 6am to play - stomping through the puddles in the gutter in my bare feet - sharing soda's with about 20 other kids - coming home when the street lights went on - all that stuff!! :) I didn't start wearing a seat belt until I was in high school - and I DID get my butt beat if I screwed up!!! When I was in elementary schools, the teacher's COULD spank you if they wanted!!! And the teachers got respect, too........

No one takes responsiblity for their actions anymore - everyone finds a way to blame someone else.....it's a shame.

I spanked my kids - you betcha!!! If they needed it....and sometimes I did it in public and I stared down anyone who dared give me a dirty look. (you'd be surprised how many people will give you the "how horrible" look out there!!) And you know what - I didn't have to do it too many times - because they learned, and they are the most well behaved and respectful kids you could know..........

Now I'm just rambling - but.....yeah....sometimes I look at society today and just shake my head.

mxdave28
07-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
seems like life was a lot more fun back then. and altho may seem ruffer, was prolly easier. i know there a couple kids id like to go scuff up but dont want mommys lawyer knockin on my door

yes it was!!!! so much fun back then and the story is all so true...kids these days are so damm spoiled and ther is absoltly no disapline being handed down for the most part...hell, i can remember when i did something bad i'd either get the belt or if Papa wasnt home Mama would just grab the frying pan cause my arse hurt her hand too much:devil: and i grew up just fine! long live 1972!!!!

07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX

it shows

j/k but lifen seemed lika a lot more fun back in the day now u cant leave home at 9 in the morning and come back at 6 cause theres to many weirdos out there

TRX45OR
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
I WAS BORN IN 80 AND UNITL 2ND GRADE THEY STILL WOOPED KIDS WITH A PADDLE, THERE WERE A LOT LESS MOUTHY LITTLE KIDS THEN.

rollie
07-01-2004, 01:39 PM
haha what are the "risks" of drinking water from a hose......?

i do that all the time?

lol:p

MOFO
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jackie
How about the home made fireworks.. I still have all my fingers..:blah:

check back with me this Sunday night... :devil:

toby400ex
07-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah, doesnt life for the people born in the late 80's Blow.:o

TRX45OR
07-01-2004, 03:46 PM
:huh WHAT?

Rdhanded2
07-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Yeah, doesnt life for the people born in the late 80's.:o

I think you forgot a "suck" there......

Samson
07-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Born in '72. Some of these threads really take me back.

Like riding up and down the block on my Big Wheel at 4-5 years old with absolutely no supervision. Nobody thought about abduction.

I remember our old 70-something Ford LTD. Used to ride under the rear glass all the time. When I was in front, the only seatbelt I had was my mama's arm and I was always standing up in the seat so I could see better. There wer no 3-point harnesses. Only a lapbelt. And they were alway pushed in the seat out of the way.

I always took a pocket knife to school from around the 3rd grade up. Never occured to me to take it out and wave it around. Everybody else had one too. Think I only used it for the occasional stray string on my shirt.

If you were sick, mama stuck tylenol or whatever in a plastic baggie and you put it in your pocket and went to school. You took it when you needed it.

Got my butt busted regularly. I always deserved it. I knew one kid who's parents refused to discipline him. He turned out to be a real scumbag. So I will discipline my children. Whther it's timeout or a good old fashioned spanking.

I haven't thought about teachers giving spankings in a long time. Had a coach that would give licks while you were in a pushup position. Times have changed!

My parents had remote control growing up. It was me and my brother! We got the priviledge of changing channels (13) and adjusting the volume for them. We didn't complain. They always made us feel appreciated.

I remember getting our first microwave and vcr. Both well into the 80's. Don't guess my folks were much for new technology. But I did have an 8-track and a turntable.

nacs400ex
07-03-2004, 04:26 PM
You want to know how it changed, the same people that lived in those eras. They grew up and changed it all. Those kids that drank out of the hose, and shared their pop, had no cell phones etc... are the ones that are crazy about lawsuits, worried about there cribs with lead paint, dont want there kids playing on the street, inforce seatbelts,

You actually think the kids that are from the late 80's and up are the reason why we cant do these things anymore, no its because those people from the good old days changed it on us.

I dont know if I got my point across, but basically what I am saying is whos fault do you think it is that everyones way of life all changed. I know for a fact it isnt the people from my era. I was in diapers when things began to change for the worst.

diesel-mech
07-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
You want to know how it changed, the same people that lived in those eras. They grew up and changed it all. Those kids that drank out of the hose, and shared their pop, had no cell phones etc... are the ones that are crazy about lawsuits, worried about there cribs with lead paint, dont want there kids playing on the street, inforce seatbelts,

You actually think the kids that are from the late 80's and up are the reason why we cant do these things anymore, no its because those people from the good old days changed it on us.

I dont know if I got my point across, but basically what I am saying is whos fault do you think it is that everyones way of life all changed. I know for a fact it isnt the people from my era. I was in diapers when things began to change for the worst.

The truth hurts!! Life may be "safer" now but not nearly as much fun as the good old days. but its our fault, we made it that way way:grr: :grr:

batgeek
07-03-2004, 04:49 PM
i blame the f*ckin hippies for the crap we have now.

i blame MTV for telling kids they have rights.

i blame political correctness trying to make me "sensitive".

i blame liberals for telling me how i should live my life.

now i'm not some raving right-winger...but the social and political influences over the past 40 or so years, have turned this country into a bunch of pu$$ies.

toby400ex
07-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2
I think you forgot a "suck" there...... No:confused:

Dunesurfer
07-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Wow a trip down memory lane:) I remenber playing all day with my friends and my parents didn't have to worry about us. We were raised to respect adults and be polite. There were no lawsuits over broken bones. We didnt worry about what was on TV (only two stations anyway) we stayed outside and played.
Seatbelts?? cars didn't have them.

Things have changed, self centered, whinny, me me me. must be in. Thats what I see now. People let thier kids run wild, God forbid they actually raise them and maybe teach them to respect others. ok now I'm rambling:D

zzbudzz
07-04-2004, 12:40 AM
"No one takes responsiblity for their actions anymore - everyone finds a way to blame someone else.....it's a shame. "
thats a good start! 400grl! here's a thought ? WHY? WHY? WHY? are fire works ILLEGAL on 4th of july? OH , yeah i was born in 1972 and i 've got all my fingers toes and NEVER had stitches!.... i must be doing something right? or wrong depends on who who ask?.......THANK YOUR GOVERMENT FOR SAVING OUR ASSES FROM OURSELFS. give me a break...

400exdad
07-04-2004, 08:25 AM
I believe in baby seats and seat belts, but to me, to pass a law (they just did in TN) for booster seats that a kid should be in till age 10 or 12.... whatever, is ridiculous. I used to stand on the driveshaft hump (for you folks who remember when all cars were rear wheel drive :D ) and look out the windsheild from the back seat.... or ride laying down in the package tray.... you know the place in a car under the back glass where the 6x9 coaxials are :) . You "older" folks know what I mean. Aren't 5mph bumpers, soft dashes, seat belts and air bags enough!?

SGA
07-04-2004, 07:05 PM
I used to wonder about old people that lived alone on the edge of town and wanted to be left alone. Now I'm beginning to understand why.:o

gun32boarder
07-04-2004, 08:13 PM
whats the problem with drinking out of the hose :confused: :confused:

SGA
07-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gun32boarder
Probably something to do with polyvinylchloride that the hose is made of or its not politicly correct or something.
I dont give a dam*. I drink out of the hose.

Rootar
07-04-2004, 10:21 PM
iwas born in jan 89 but my rents raised me to respect people and ther things unlike all the other stupid *** m/f at my skool me and my friends are the only ones half way correct in what we do iim not sayin im some goody kid or some b/s ive done some F__K__G stupid things all in spite just to break the rules if ther werent as many F__K_D up rules now days my generation wouldnt be the way we are most of us ther are some like me that under stand all the b/s theese days i work 50 hours a week no lie and im 15!!! i know people tht are 20 and have never had a job seniors that ther parents wont let them work i dont know what the hell is amatter wif people if like drugs and alcohal werent illegal then kids wouldnt do it cause me and all the others in my generation wouldnt do it cause weve all tried em in spite to just break the rules just b/c i dont regret it neithr do my friends cause we see how stupid alot of **** is and we jsut do it in spite then dont but we respect our parents and teachers too b/c our our rents will beat the **** out of us if wedidnt at skool we have kids standing up aginist other kids for not respecting the teachers and it is so f--ded up i wish i was born 10 years earlyer so bad but ill just keep showing my genreation the light sry for ranting but ive been waiting to get this **** off my shoulders

Dunesurfer
07-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by gun32boarder

Some have lead in the lining:( you need to run some water through it to clear it out.

user101
07-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
i blame MTV for telling kids they have rights.

lmao...im a regular watcher of MTV and only being 16 i get a kick out of the crap they say to

Samson
07-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Got this email today. Thought I'd share.

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1986. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are!

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane Boss, de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies in your life, and don't forget the youngins so they can see what the stone age was like.

MY450R
07-07-2004, 07:07 AM
I WAS BORN IN 74 AND WE GOT OUT BUTS KICKED IN IF WE DID SOMETHING WRONG. NOW KIDS ARE BABIED AND TOLD THEY CAN DO NOTHING WRONG
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD STAY OUT OF PEOPLES LIVES
THEY ARE THE ONES THAT SAY YOU CANT DISIPLINE YOUR CHILDREN THATS WHY KIDS ARE THE WAY THEY ARE TODAY

Dunesurfer
07-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
I WAS BORN IN 74 AND WE GOT OUT BUTS KICKED IN IF WE DID SOMETHING WRONG. NOW KIDS ARE BABIED AND TOLD THEY CAN DO NOTHING WRONG
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD STAY OUT OF PEOPLES LIVES
THEY ARE THE ONES THAT SAY YOU CANT DISIPLINE YOUR CHILDREN THATS WHY KIDS ARE THE WAY THEY ARE TODAY

Sad but true:(